Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The draft vs. free agents

It was nice to see the Vikings do so well in the free agency last year. Up until then, free agency for the Vikings usually meant how many guys were we going to lose to other teams.

I think you build with the kids in the draft and that is important, but I am definitely seeing some advantages with getting proven veterans who are ready to play right now as opposed to developing someone for a few years. I do not like trading a superstar for a draft pick that may or may not pan out.

I believe it depends on the team. A team that is not even close to being a contender might be better off stockpiling draft picks and building for the future. However, a team like the Vikings is not that far away. I think right now I would rather have a great free agency signing period and sign our free agents that we need to and maybe pick up a couple guys that could help us right away more than having an excellent draft, where help will be coming in a few years.

I think to get an off-season grade of A, the Vikes will need to do well in BOTH areas, and it might be a little harder to score well in the draft because they do not have the best spot in the draft!

With this in mind, I wouldn't mind picking up a good veteran running back who is available, like an Edgerrin James last year - a guy that could take us to the next level, even if it meant trading some picks.

So what does everyone else think? If you had your choice at this point, would you rather see a great Vikings free agency signing period/acquiring veterans, or a great Vikings draft if you could only have one?
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

SamDawg84 Guest

Re: The draft vs. free agents

i would give wat we did to our coaching staff a B-, and thats cause we got rid of some good coaches, but added some good 1s

I guess we won't know what grade we can give to the new coaching staff until we see what they do with the team. Hopefully they will be good at developing and molding the team, installing discipline, and get the team playing hard every week. That is a must.

Then we will have to see how they are at play calling on both offense and defense.

I am especially interested in seeing how the Culpepper situation is handled. If he is healthy, he is one of the game's best and I think he just needs the right coach to get his groove back. When you think about it, the off-season grade will depend a great deal on what this coaching staff does.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

its all about having a good mix of youth and veterans.
    We're bringing purple back.

PAViking is offline Rookie

I think it's hard to say where the vikings are at anymore in terms of a playoff worthy team. Considering that they are changing the offensive and defensive schemes. It might click right away but most likely not. But I think they should go for a good free agency signing. A solid running back would be nice.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Solid RB would be nice. Edge would be a great FA to grab.

PurpleManiac is offline Pro-Bowler

Draft is where the real gem is. They are cheap and young...and they always almost have more potential. Most team that are successful build through the draft- Colts, Patriots, Seahawks...Of course you can always sign big time players to help your team out from FA but that is also more risky as FA will ask for long term contracts and lots of money.

I would rather have a solid draft anyday over a bunch of FA signings.

Thanks for the Sig LitlHarsh

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

Well, FA defiantly has advantages. Look at one of our most pressing need; Offensive Line. We won’t be able to fully address that in the draft. Free Agency is probably our best route to take with the O-Line if we want a solid impact right away.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

good thing about the draft is the players can be molded to fit our team. i don't like to rely on the draft though, i think it needs to be used to build the team for the future and not rely on rookies like we have for so long.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Good points by all. I just think that the chance of a rookie coming in next year and making an impact are remote, with the possible exception of us landing a running back. The draft is extremely important to our team a few years down the road and it is not to be taken lightly.

I think the first order of business will be making sure the QB situation gets settled. Hopefully, Childress can get Culpepper's head screwed on right and get him back to being an elite QB and that he can come back healthy. If not, then we have to come up with a plan B.

Secondly, we need to find a way to sign our OWN free agents that we would like to keep. Also, we need to solidify the offensive line.

Lastly, I would like the Vikings to see what kind of veterans are out there at running back, both in free agency and via a trade. Last year a couple high profile RB's were out there that could have really helped us.

If you ask me, I would be more excited about us landing a top running back than just about anything we do in the draft this year.
    "SHOOT EM JIMMY!!"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast