Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    SoDakfan is offline Training Camp

Draft -- Vikings positional predictions

All:

Pardon me for adding yet another view of the impending draft, but I wanted to make some predictions as to who the Vikes will draft, from a positional perspective. I know the BPA philosophy could very well trump this, but if I had to predict what positions the Vikes will target, my thoughts are as follows:

First, two oft-identified positions of need are CB and DT. As far as CB, if the Vikings sign Lito Shepperd before the draft, I don't see them necessarily taking one in the draft at all, and certainly not in the first four rounds. They would have Shepperd, Winfield, Griffin, Sapp, and Asher Allen. I believe the Vikings would be comfortable with that stable, especially considering the flashes Allen showed in his rookie season. If the Vikes don't sign Shepperd, then I do think CB will be the First Round pick. But keep in mind my predictions at the end of this post assume Shepperd will be signed.

As far as DT, I don't believe the Vikes will target one early. While Pat Williams is near his end, Fred Evans and Jimmy Kennedy are on board, and I believe people are giving up on Letroy Guion too soon. The guy was drafted 2 years ago as raw product to be developed, and he's only 22 years old ... one of the youngest players on the team. I think it's premature to give up on him, but drafting a DT high would effectively make him the 6th DT, and I can't see the team keeping 6 pure DTs on the roster.

With that, my predictions:

(1) OG/C (Iupati or Pouncey?) -- The interior part of the OL is a weakness, and an upgrade to Sullivan or Herrera would be welcome. Further, Hutchinson is getting up there in years. There are no apparent replacements/successors for these guys currently on the bench. Teams can find solid 10-year starters at the G/C position toward the end of the First Round -- Iupati (probably gone by then) or Pouncey fit the mold.

(2) OLB -- Ben Leber is a good OLB, but not a great one, and in any event he's getting up there in years. I don't see any successor on the roster, so drafting a solid OLB to push Leber this year and provide depth would be welcome.

(3) RB -- Reynaud, Young, and the Johnsons are on the roster, but I can't believe the staff is comfortable relying on these guys to be AP's insurance policy. There seems to be some good value at RB around the 3d round, and I think the Vikes will pull the trigger.

(4) QB -- Tebow will be gone, but perhaps LeFevour, Pike, or Skelton to compete with Tavaris once Brett hangs them up?

(5)(a), (5)(b), (6), and (7) -- I believe the Vikes will look for depth in these rounds at the following positions, in no particular order -- OT, FB/TE, DE, and S.

Just my addition to the pre-draft speculation.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re:Draft -- Vikings positional predictions

You are spot on with you assessment of the DTs. We do not need to take one early and maybe not even at all. I have been saying to Marrdro for a while now that Evans, Kennedy, and Guion are sufficient and can take over for Pat.

1st G - We agree there but I think we might take a stab at a QB

2nd Could be a G if we go QB other wise I like OLB here

3rd I like RB here as well

4th Could be QB or DT

5th TE/FB

6th OT

7th DT to keep Marrdro happy

ndnorseman is offline Pro-Bowler

This is a fun Draft to speculate on, since we really don't have any IMMEDIATE areas of need. Any of the positions we pick up are going to be learning behind a SOLID overall team, and should be able to pick things up at their own pace, rather than being thrown right into the fire (barring...well, you know).

Here's my 2 cents' worth...

1st - QB or S (but only if Taylor Mays falls to 30)...there is also the possibility that they trade the 1 for more 2s and/or 3s, in which case...

2nd - QB, G, and/or OLB

3rd - RB and/or DT

4th - By this point, I think they'll just be drafting for depth, so I think they go with another O-line pick here

5th - WR and either DE or S (if Mays doesn't fall)
    (I forget which of these rounds we have two picks in)
    6th - TE and either DE or S (if Mays doesn't fall)

7th - CB

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

marstc09 wrote:
    You are spot on with you assessment of the DTs. We do not need to take one early and maybe not even at all. I have been saying to Marrdro for a while now that Evans, Kennedy, and Guion are sufficient and can take over for Pat.

4th Could be QB or DT

5th TE/FB

6th OT

What DT do you think you are gonna get in the 4th that can be ready to replace Phat Pats reps next year?

To the origninal posters point.......

As far as DT, I don't believe the Vikes will target one early. While Pat Williams is near his end, Fred Evans and Jimmy Kennedy are on board, and I believe people are giving up on Letroy Guion too soon. The guy was drafted 2 years ago as raw product to be developed, and he's only 22 years old ... one of the youngest players on the team. I think it's premature to give up on him, but drafting a DT high would effectively make him the 6th DT, and I can't see the team keeping 6 pure DTs on the roster.
    Although Guion (I don't think anyone is giving up on by the way) is a very nice addition, he isn't a NT. He is more along the lines of a 1 gap 3, 4 or 5 technique DT and was drafted to be a primary backup to K-will and maybe, even his eventual replacement. So by thinking that he is on the roster and capable of taking reps in Pats role, you are kindof missing the mark with respect to how DT's and NT's are used in this scheme.

Kennedy, has been a mild suprise for me. When he was drafted (the same year K-will was by the way) he wanted to play DE at this level and was really a bust every place he played because of it. Having said that, he is capapble of being a 2 gap 0 or 1 technique kindof guy, but as I said, he is the same age as K-will and probably isn't a long term answer at this spot.

Fred Evans is another interesting study as he isn't suited really to play a 2 gap NT position either but is more suited to be a 1 gap 3 or 4 technique guy.

So with that little bit of information in the backs of our mind, you can then turn to the draft and look at your possible candidates as potential replacements for Phat Pat next year. Mind you, I'm not talking starter, I'm just talking capable enough to eat up reps that JK will have to take off.

First candidate that I think we will have a reasonable shot at is Brian Price and even he might be gone by the time we pick, but if the 3-4 teams ahead of us strickly focus on thier 1 gap 0 techique guys like Cody, he could be available and would be an instant starter at the next level.

Second option is Troup. Projected as a second round pick. I really like this kid, with my only knock on him is hieght. Not sure how big of a deal that is cause he is about the same hieght as our boy Phat Pat.

Next candidate is projected as 4th round pick...D'Anthony Smith. He is a project at best, even though several teams have been down to see him, one of which were the Vikes DL coach.

So yes, there are options out there other than Price, but the pickings are pretty slim after these 3. My guess is that the staff will take the first one that they can get thier hands on and they are hoping it is Price, Troup and then Smith, in that order.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

4th Could be QB or DT

5th TE/FB

6th OT

What DT do you think you are gonna get in the 4th that can be ready to replace Phat Pats reps next year?

Although Guion (I don't think anyone is giving up on by the way) is a very nice addition, he isn't a NT. He is more along the lines of a 1 gap 3, 4 or 5 technique DT and was drafted to be a primary backup to K-will and maybe, even his eventual replacement. So by thinking that he is on the roster and capable of taking reps in Pats role, you are kindof missing the mark with respect to how DT's and NT's are used in this scheme.

Kennedy, has been a mild suprise for me. When he was drafted (the same year K-will was by the way) he wanted to play DE at this level and was really a bust every place he played because of it. Having said that, he is capapble of being a 2 gap 0 or 1 technique kindof guy, but as I said, he is the same age as K-will and probably isn't a long term answer at this spot.

Fred Evans is another interesting study as he isn't suited really to play a 2 gap NT position either but is more suited to be a 1 gap 3 or 4 technique guy.

So with that little bit of information in the backs of our mind, you can then turn to the draft and look at your possible candidates as potential replacements for Phat Pat next year. Mind you, I'm not talking starter, I'm just talking capable enough to eat up reps that JK will have to take off.

First candidate that I think we will have a reasonable shot at is Brian Price and even he might be gone by the time we pick, but if the 3-4 teams ahead of us strickly focus on thier 1 gap 0 techique guys like Cody, he could be available and would be an instant starter at the next level.

Second option is Troup. Projected as a second round pick. I really like this kid, with my only knock on him is hieght. Not sure how big of a deal that is cause he is about the same hieght as our boy Phat Pat.

Next candidate is projected as 4th round pick...D'Anthony Smith. He is a project at best, even though several teams have been down to see him, one of which were the Vikes DL coach.

So yes, there are options out there other than Price, but the pickings are pretty slim after these 3. My guess is that the staff will take the first one that they can get thier hands on and they are hoping it is Price, Troup and then Smith, in that order.
    Wait a second! You forgot about Jared Odrick from Penn State. I rank him as the 3rd best defensive tackle in the draft. I love the way he plays with quickness and power, and he's one of the most versatile 300+ pounds linemen in the draft. Odrick reminds me of Kevin WIlliams in many ways.

Talking about prospects similar to current linemen; Dan Williams is a perfect copy of Pat Williams. You didn't mention him either, but as you wrote in you mock draft, he'll most likely not last that long considering the increasing need of nose tackles.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

HEY wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

4th Could be QB or DT

5th TE/FB

6th OT

Wait a second! You forgot about Jared Odrick from Penn State. I rank him as the 3rd best defensive tackle in the draft. I love the way he plays with quickness and power, and he's one of the most versatile 300+ pounds linemen in the draft. Odrick reminds me of Kevin WIlliams in many ways.

Talking about prospects similar to current linemen; Dan Williams is a perfect copy of Pat Williams. You didn't mention him either, but as you wrote in you mock draft, he'll most likely not last that long considering the increasing need of nose tackles.
    I don't disagree with you my friend, problem is.......

First candidate that I think we will have a reasonable shot at is Brian Price
    I believe they both will be gone when we pick. Mix in, that at 6'5", I think Oderick is a bit tall for a true 1 gap 0/1 technique guy.

If I was to draft Oderick, I would move him out at LDE and fix that position for many years to come. Might be what the Vikes are thinking with respect to why they haven't signed Ray to a long term contract.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I certainly see your DT point, Marrdro, but I really think (and certainly hope) the brass is looking at the top of this draft with a "draft for NOW" attitude, considering this team is on the cusp and I think Childress KNOWS Favre is indeed coming back. A replacement for P. Williams is needed long term, but for now I believe Williams and Kennedy are more than able to carry the load through next season. I don't really view Guion as a replacement for Williams, I just see the staff wanting to continue his development, and for that to happen they'd have to keep 6 pure DTs on the roster, unless they let go of Evans, which I don't foresee.

I believe an OG or OLB would provide needed help now, both in terms of possibly pushing the current starters (Herrera, Sullivan; Leber) and providing valuable depth in the unfortunate event of injury (see Brinkley's value last year after E.J.'s injury -- he wasn't spectacular but he certainly was competent). RB is another position I view in the same light. (It might sound silly, but if AP continues his fumblitis, it might be time for him to ride some pine, and in any event I think a true No. 2 RB is needed). Hence I see those as the top 3 positions of "need" for the upcoming season.

Only a few hours until we'll begin to have some answers. This will all probably be shot to crap when we trade our entire draft to move up to the teens to make sure we get Tebow .

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

SoDakfan wrote:
    I certainly see your DT point, Marrdro, but I really think (and certainly hope) the brass is looking at the top of this draft with a "draft for NOW" attitude, considering this team is on the cusp and I think Childress KNOWS Favre is indeed coming back. A replacement for P. Williams is needed long term, but for now I believe Williams and Kennedy are more than able to carry the load through next season. I don't really view Guion as a replacement for Williams, I just see the staff wanting to continue his development, and for that to happen they'd have to keep 6 pure DTs on the roster, unless they let go of Evans, which I don't foresee.

I believe an OG or OLB would provide needed help now, both in terms of possibly pushing the current starters (Herrera, Sullivan; Leber) and providing valuable depth in the unfortunate event of injury (see Brinkley's value last year after E.J.'s injury -- he wasn't spectacular but he certainly was competent). RB is another position I view in the same light. (It might sound silly, but if AP continues his fumblitis, it might be time for him to ride some pine, and in any event I think a true No. 2 RB is needed). Hence I see those as the top 3 positions of "need" for the upcoming season.

Only a few hours until we'll begin to have some answers. This will all probably be shot to crap when we trade our entire draft to move up to the teens to make sure we get Tebow .
    Very good original post. I especially liked your comments about the interior O line.

However, I am in agreement with Marrdro with regard to DT.
    Pat Williams has a skill set that nobody on our roster can match. Unfortunately, Pat had a little evidence of decline last year.
    Kennedy has improved, but will never be as good as Pat.
    Though I'm always for BPA,I think we need to draft a Pat clone this year or next.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Drafting a Pat replacement next year? Agreed. But this year? I think they pass (at least in the first 3 rounds) in order to draft players who can provide more immediate and necessary help ... i.e., an interior O-lineman, OLB, and RB.

But now there's talk about swinging some sort of deal for Haynesworth, so wtf do I know? That's why I'm predicting from a fan website and not making decisions on the inside.

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    HEY wrote:
    Marrdro wrote:
    marstc09 wrote:

4th Could be QB or DT

5th TE/FB

6th OT

I don't disagree with you my friend, problem is.......

First candidate that I think we will have a reasonable shot at is Brian Price
    I believe they both will be gone when we pick. Mix in, that at 6'5", I think Oderick is a bit tall for a true 1 gap 0/1 technique guy.

If I was to draft Oderick, I would move him out at LDE and fix that position for many years to come. Might be what the Vikes are thinking with respect to why they haven't signed Ray to a long term contract.
    To bad Jared Odrick didn't last two picks longer, I bet the Vikings would have picked him if he did. Actually, I think the Vikings probably would have stayed with their 30th selection if one of the two previous picks had been different, but I'm happy that they decided to trade out of the first round.

You said that Odrick will likely be gone before the Vikings' selection, but do I have to remind you that you had Odrick falling past the Vikings in your 7 round mock draft?

I can't see why his height would be an issue. I agree that I think he's capable of playing left end, but I think he's a better fit on the inside in the Vikings' 4-3 scheme. A defensive end in a 3-4 would probably be his ideal position.

Anyways, do you still think we should draft Brian Price with the Lions second round draft pick?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast