Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Draft Trade a reality?

"singersp" wrote:
    it wouldn't happen until draft day, and probably not until we're on the clock."
    That's it in a nutshell. If a "must have player isn't there at #7, I'm expecting them to trade down. Especially if Quinn is availablw at #7.
    I foresee something like that happening also. If we can find someone that is willing to give up something valuable, I expect them to try and get more day 1 picks.

Don't disregard either that there could be trades involving players. And that is all the way through the draft. Remember they did it last year when they gave away a pick for A. Hicks

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Trading down has always been the best option.
    Haven't said that since about a day after the '06 regular season.
    This is the first time I've seen mention of another team that may be willing to actually do it.

KFFL
    Vikings | Team could trade No. 7 overall draft pick
    Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:43:43 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings president of player personnel Rick Spielman said that he has talked to teams that are interested in trading up to acquire the Vikings' No. 7 overall draft pick and one team that is interested in trading down to it. Spielman said, "If anything happens, more than likely it wouldn't happen until draft day, and probably not until we're on the clock."

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

BritishVike is offline Rookie

"Prophet" wrote:
    Trading down has always been the best option.
    Haven't said that since about a day after the '06 regular season.
    This is the first time I've seen mention of another team that may be willing to actually do it.

KFFL
    Vikings | Team could trade No. 7 overall draft pick
    Thu, 26 Apr 2007 18:43:43 -0700

Don Seeholzer, of the St. Paul Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings president of player personnel Rick Spielman said that he has talked to teams that are interested in trading up to acquire the Vikings' No. 7 overall draft pick and one team that is interested in trading down to it. Spielman said, "If anything happens, more than likely it wouldn't happen until draft day, and probably not until we're on the clock."

If im not mistaken, this means that he doubts we'll be trading up. But i love the sound of us being able to trade down. Ideally (and maybe fantasy land) we can trade dwon to 9, pick up an extra 2nd/3rd rounder, then down again to 15, pick up another 2nd/3rd rounder and select robert meachem. Then use those picks acquired through trading to select another high rated WR and address the other needs...ill be happy with that!!

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

I think there are several players that the Pats would like. Landry for one. Also I would not hold it against them wanting AP. Rememeber that Dillon is gone and they liked having a 1-2 punch at RB. Also A DEOR even a WR that they covet. They are OK at WR bit not great.

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

Trade up and get a true franchise player in WR or RB . . . OR . . . trade down and pick up great value players!!

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This is the first draft in a long time where I am completely OK with damn near any scenario that will come out of our first round draft pick.

1) Trade up.
    There are only two players that I think we would trade up for.
    CJ or Thomas.
    I doubt we get either, but if we do I will be thrilled!

2) Stay put.
    There are a decent number of high impact players in the top seven picks.
    If we stay put at least one of them will be guaranteed to be there.
    Heck, it may even be AP.

3) Trade down.
    There are some pretty deep positions in this year's draft, including our biggest need of WR.
    Trading down would give us one if not two more quality players.

The only thing that would upset me is a reach in the top 10.
    If we want someone who doesn't warrant a top ten pick, trade out.
    Otherwise, I think whoever we pick up this year will be a positive addition to the Vikings.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    This is the first draft in a long time where I am completely OK with gol 'darnit near any scenario that will come out of our first round draft pick.

1) Trade up.
    CJ or Thomas.

2) Stay put.
    Heck, it may even be AP.

3) Trade down.
    There are some pretty deep positions in this year's draft, including our biggest need of WR.

Otherwise, I think whoever we pick up this year will be a positive addition to the Vikings.
    Agreed, their are a lot of scenarios that could play out very well for us (unfortunately this somewhat speaks to our needs).
    I have no clue where the Vikes are going to go with this thing, the least likely does seem to trade up.
    Unless Calvin slips a couple spots and becomes "reachable"... or maybe Thomas as you say.
    I don't seem them trading up for a QB or RB.

It should be a very interesting day tomorrow and give us some more insight as to where the front office thinks are program is at.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    This is the first draft in a long time where I am completely OK with gol 'darnit near any scenario that will come out of our first round draft pick.

1) Trade up.
    CJ or Thomas.

2) Stay put.
    Heck, it may even be AP.

3) Trade down.

Exactly how I feel. I'm a big fan of Thomas and of coarse CJ. I can see giving up a lot more to get CJ than Thomas but would be thrilled to get either one.

I think we will probably end up picking at 7 and should get a very good player who will make a difference for years to come. If that is Landry,so be it. He's a beast.

The Vikings are fortunate to have a lot of flexibility in this draft. I am pumped and stoked. I expect the Vikings to have a good draft. I expect a few surprises. I hope they are pleasant.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12