Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Draft, spring camps loom with new label for Vikings

"jargomcfargo" wrote:

However, I think the realization of what Peterson brings to this team is something that accelerated the teams building plan.Don't waste something extrordinary. It's an opportunity that wont last forever.
    That's exactly right & I have been stating that for years when it comes to FA.

By the time many draftees, if ever, can learn the system & play a significant role on the team, the players you have that are great when they were signed, could have already passed their prime or have been lost to FA.

Get the team you need to make that push for the Lombardi trophy, then maintain that talent through the draft & FA.

One thing is inevitable, you will lose good players every year when FA rolls around.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"snowinapril" wrote:
    The aerial attack, which really couldn't get worse, has improved. Jackson has shown, at times, that he can throw an accurate long ball. Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice are great targets for stretching the field, while Bobby Wade and newly re-signed Robert Ferguson are solid possession receivers.
    Just a thought, sometimes it helps to have a WR that can adjust to a thrown ball.
    Sometimes I think that the QB gets too much of the blame.
    Throw it to Rice, he will make you look good, he isn't running a straight line.
    I think BB is the same.
    He can also adjust.
    Fergy and Wade will run routes.

I just hope that the players don't get it in their heads that the NFC North is going to be a cakewalk.
    Of course he can.

Anyone who doesn't think he can should never have blamed T-Will for dropped passes that T-Jack has thrown
    Two excellent points.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

adamkirsch is offline Training Camp

I don't think this team is "set" at much of any position.
    Our WR corp is still average, we could use some additional talent/depth on the O-Line (esp considering McKinnie's troubles), we don't have a stud TE, we need a backup QB and our starting QB is believed by many to be one of the worst in the league, we need safety depth, our LB corp is good but not great, and of course we have the need at DE.
    Right now I think the makeup of the team is good enough to get it to the playoffs, but I hardly think the roster right now screams "Super Bowl!!!"
    For example, many posters on this site were thrilled with the Ferguson signing and seemed to think that we now had some sort of all-star receiving group that is the envy of the league.
    For God's sake, Ferguson couldn't make the Packers roster last year, and his best attribute seems to be downfield blocking.
    My point being -- thank God the draft is coming and hopefully the FO pulls off another great draft and we gain some more studs.
    I do like the fact that we're in better shape this year heading into the draft, providing more flexibility with regard to what position we draft, but I think there are plenty of positions that could use an upgrade.
    I mean, if a guy like Keith Rivers fell to middle of the first round, would Vikings fans really be saying "NOOOOOOOOOOO....we don't need a LB, we're set with future hall of famer BEN LEBER at that position!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Long story short .... great offseason so far, but I think the Vikes are far from the Promised Land.
    Draft well.

"seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Again, "Build through the draft" seems to be "Out the Window".

;D
    The question was always wrong.
    Build through the draft with solid long-term starters and grab FAs to fill in the gaps while the draftees develop or to fill in holes in the short-term.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some pick trading like we haven't seen much of in recent years.
    The team is looking relatively solid in most positions.
    Being active in FA doesn't mean we cannot build through the draft.
    Its not like we have sold out our drafting potential ala Redskin style by trading away all of our picks to add FAs.
    We still have an astounding, what, 10 picks?
    Its hard to believe that 10 rookies will make the roster, but if you can get contributions from half of that, say 5, that is a successful draft IMHO.

One thing this staff has said is that competition is a good thing (except for the QB position, of course).
    :P
    ;D
    I hear ya my friend, but I wonder if we couldn't have been a bit more "Active" last year in FA.
    We all now it was a bad year last year but still, it isn't like we are signing big names now, just what appears to be decent fits in areas of need.

I need to really do a good scrub on my roster analysis thread I started and look, but right now, I think it will be pretty hard for even 5 rookies to make the roster.

Again, we currently have a hole at S, DE(not really but Merling could beat out Otis) and QB.

Unless we see some starters/backups leave (can't think of any off the top of my head) that can be beat out by a rookie, I just don't see more that 3 making the roster.

As I said in another thread they might have a couple of FA's targeted for aquisition via some of our draft picks.

FA - DE - Taylor
    (1rst/3rd)
    FA - QB - Sage (3rd)

That would get us down to 7 picks.
    Probably use at least one to move up for a guy they target that doesn't appear to be falling to them.

Ahhh, the scenario's. Sure wish I could get into Winter Park just for a day.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The only label I care to see them have is Super Bowl Champion. So far we are just working toward miss congeniality .

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    Build through the draft with solid long-term starters and grab FAs to fill in the gaps while the draftees develop or to fill in holes in the short-term.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some pick trading like we haven't seen much of in recent years.
    Its not like we have sold out our drafting potential ala Redskin style by trading away all of our picks to add FAs.
    Its hard to believe that 10 rookies will make the roster, but if you can get contributions from half of that, say 5, that is a successful draft IMHO.

One thing this staff has said is that competition is a good thing (except for the QB position, of course).
    ;D
    I hear ya my friend, but I wonder if we couldn't have been a bit more "Active" last year in FA.
    We all now it was a bad year last year but still, it isn't like we are signing big names now, just what appears to be decent fits in areas of need.

I need to really do a good scrub on my roster analysis thread I started and look, but right now, I think it will be pretty hard for even 5 rookies to make the roster.

Again, we currently have a hole at S, DE(not really but Merling could beat out Otis) and QB.

Unless we see some starters/backups leave (can't think of any off the top of my head) that can be beat out by a rookie, I just don't see more that 3 making the roster.

As I said in another thread they might have a couple of FA's targeted for aquisition via some of our draft picks.

FA - DE - Peppers(1rst/3rd)
    FA - QB - Sage (3rd)

Probably use at least one to move up for a guy they target that doesn't appear to be falling to them.

;D
    Fixed ;D

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

FA - QB - Sage (3rd)

;D
    Fixed ;D

How about Allen.
    His production wasn't down last year.
    ;D

I mean seriously, they could be working a deal that none of us (or the sports hacks) even know about.

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    ;D

;D

FA - DE - Taylor
    (1rst/3rd)
    FA - QB - Sage (3rd)

;D
    As you fill out your roster, fewer rookies make the team.
    Look at the Patriots last year - only Meriweather and Kareem Brown made the roster.

As for the Vikings, our roster isn't that full.
    A lot of the "decent fits in areas of needs" might not make the roster:

-B-Twice, Thomas Tapeh, and Madieu Williams will all make the team.

-Maurice Hicks and Michael Boulware will probably make the team.
    -Kendrick Allen, Ellis Wyms, Derrick Pope, Robert Ferguson, and Dallas Sartz are as likely as not to be cut.

So I think the Vikings could easily stand to add/upgrade talent at OT, DE, QB, S, WR, C, DT, RB, LB, CB, and TE in the draft.
    In my opinion we're pretty set at guard.
    We'll see where they end up going, but I still expect 5 or 6 rookies to make an impact next year as #1 or #2 guys if we have a good draft.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    [quote author=Marrdro link=topic=43424.msg744179#msg744179 date=1206107418]

;D

;D

FA - QB - Sage (3rd)

;D
    Fixed ;D

How about Allen.
    His production wasn't down last year.
    ;D

I mean seriously, they could be working a deal that none of us (or the sports hacks) even know about.
    [/quote]

Allen is a high motor guy but not an unbelieveable athlethe. He's a cosntant motor.
    Peppers bring that high motor but with Greek God's body. He bats a lot of balls down and gets a decent amount of ints. Adding Peppers will only improve our already amazing scoring defense. My pick would be Pep.

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "seaniemck7" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D

;D

FA - DE - Taylor
    (1rst/3rd)
    FA - QB - Sage (3rd)

;D
    As you fill out your roster, fewer rookies make the team.
    Look at the Patriots last year - only Meriweather and Kareem Brown made the roster.

As for the Vikings, our roster isn't that full.
    A lot of the "decent fits in areas of needs" might not make the roster:

-B-Twice, Thomas Tapeh, and Madieu Williams will all make the team.

-Maurice Hicks and Michael Boulware will probably make the team.
    -Kendrick Allen, Ellis Wyms, Derrick Pope, Robert Ferguson, and Dallas Sartz are as likely as not to be cut.

So I think the Vikings could easily stand to add/upgrade talent at OT, DE, QB, S, WR, C, DT, RB, LB, CB, and TE in the draft.
    In my opinion we're pretty set at guard.
    We'll see where they end up going, but I still expect 5 or 6 rookies to make an impact next year as #1 or #2 guys if we have a good draft.
    Very interesting analysis.

I expect the following:

a. QB.
    They will carry 3.
    1 will be TJ, one will be a vet (BB or whomever - if it is Sage it will cost a pick) and one will be a rookie.
    b. DE.
    I expect they will still try to bring in one more FA plus draft a guy early.
    If they get someone of Merlings skill set he will make the team as well as the FA (I suspect they are gonna trade for a guy which will cost atleast one pick).
    Grigsby will be out.
    c. S.
    We still have an opening and I believe they will want to fill that with a S they believe has the ability to replace Sharper.
    This guy might be good enough that he might not slip to them so they might move up a spot or two to get him.
    That will cost a pick.
    d. OT.
    I also now have OT on my hot sheet.
    I look for them to burn at least one of thier first day picks here if they don't trade one of them.
    Hicks is the odd man out.

Maybe a C could beat out Mozes and maybe they will try to carry 6 WR's at the expense of a CB.

Other than that I just don't see anyof our backups or starters getting beat by a rookie that is drafted this year.
    Because they will use thier high draft round picks on more pressing needs I don't see a WR on the second day beating out any we have nor do I see a second day guy winning out at LB, RB, CB or TE based on who is on the roster and what thier skill and contract.

My bet is if we have a few rookies make the team we will see guys on the back end of thier contracts cut after the draft (ala Klieny) which will really piss some fans off.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast