Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Draft, spring camps loom with new label for Vikings

[size=13pt]Draft, spring camps loom with new label for Vikings[/size]

Posted by: Mike Schoemer on March 21, 2008 12:13 AM
    realfootball365.com

This is, perhaps, a new position for Minnesota Vikings head coach Brad Childress & Co.
    After a series of free-agent pickups, including a big-play wide receiver, an infusion of youth and a standout safety on the other side of the ball, Minnesota has bolstered itself by raiding the market.....

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Draft, spring camps loom with new label for Vikings

Very interesting read my friend.

Quick question for the masses.........

Do any of you feel like we've been sold a bill of goods (especially last year) when we were told this staff would build through the draft and plug holes with a few FA signings?

What the hell.

As I sit and look at what they are doing this year in the FA market I wonder to myself......"Self, who are they gonna draft that can now make the team"........

A DE, a S and a QB.
    All the rest of the roster spots appear to be filled with competent starters and some decent backups now.

This rookie class will have a hard time getting on the roster.

Again, "Build through the draft" seems to be "Out the Window".
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    The question was always wrong.
    Build through the draft with solid long-term starters and grab FAs to fill in the gaps while the draftees develop or to fill in holes in the short-term.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some pick trading like we haven't seen much of in recent years.
    The team is looking relatively solid in most positions.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

"Marrdro" wrote:

As I sit and look at what they are doing this year in the FA market I wonder to myself......"Self, who are they gonna draft that can now make the team?"........
    You sure talk to yourself a lot.

I often wondered if you do that aloud or silently & if you ever contradict/argue with yourself.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

As I sit and look at what they are doing this year in the FA market I wonder to myself......"Self, who are they gonna draft that can now make the team?"........

I often wondered if you do that aloud or silently & if you ever contradict/argue with yourself.
    Aloud.
    Old Marrdro and New Marrdro had a knock down drag out the other day.
    It was ugly.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Aloud.
    Old Marrdro and New Marrdro had a knock down drag out the other day.
    It was ugly.
    ;D
    Nice to see that the purple shades weren't knocked off or broken in the scuffle.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The aerial attack, which really couldn't get worse, has improved. Jackson has shown, at times, that he can throw an accurate long ball. Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice are great targets for stretching the field, while Bobby Wade and newly re-signed Robert Ferguson are solid possession receivers.
    Just a thought, sometimes it helps to have a WR that can adjust to a thrown ball.
    Sometimes I think that the QB gets too much of the blame.
    Throw it to Rice, he will make you look good, he isn't running a straight line.
    I think BB is the same.
    He can also adjust.
    Fergy and Wade will run routes.

I just hope that the players don't get it in their heads that the NFC North is going to be a cakewalk.

The aerial attack, which really couldn't get worse, has improved. Jackson has shown, at times, that he can throw an accurate long ball. Bernard Berrian and Sidney Rice are great targets for stretching the field, while Bobby Wade and newly re-signed Robert Ferguson are solid possession receivers.
    Of course he can.

Anyone who doesn't think he can should never have blamed T-Will for dropped passes that T-Jack has thrown.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Very interesting read my friend.

Quick question for the masses.........

Do any of you feel like we've been sold a bill of goods (especially last year) when we were told this staff would build through the draft and plug holes with a few FA signings?

What the hell.

As I sit and look at what they are doing this year in the FA market I wonder to myself......"Self, who are they gonna draft that can now make the team"........

A DE, a S and a QB.
    All the rest of the roster spots appear to be filled with competent starters and some decent backups now.

This rookie class will have a hard time getting on the roster.

;D
    The best a team can hope for is not having any apparent positions open for the draftees. That means we have drafted well and are getting closer to a quality team. It also allows the young bloods time to learn and develop. Trial by fire, sink or swim is ok for some, but others require a little more time to develop.

I believe the team still has the philosophy of building thru the draft.

However, I think the realization of what Peterson brings to this team is something that accelerated the teams building plan.Don't waste something extrordinary. It's an opportunity that wont last forever.

I also believe Zygi understands what affect another mediocre, or worse, season may have on stadium plans.

I think we still have a number of positions to upgrade thru the draft. I'm confident we shall do so.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

;D
    The question was always wrong.
    Build through the draft with solid long-term starters and grab FAs to fill in the gaps while the draftees develop or to fill in holes in the short-term.

I wouldn't be surprised to see some pick trading like we haven't seen much of in recent years.
    The team is looking relatively solid in most positions.
    Being active in FA doesn't mean we cannot build through the draft.
    Its not like we have sold out our drafting potential ala Redskin style by trading away all of our picks to add FAs.
    We still have an astounding, what, 10 picks?
    Its hard to believe that 10 rookies will make the roster, but if you can get contributions from half of that, say 5, that is a successful draft IMHO.

One thing this staff has said is that competition is a good thing (except for the QB position, of course).
    :P
    ;D

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast