Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    SoDakfan is offline Training Camp

Draft/Roster thoughts

Haven't posted much, but I have a few thoughts about the upcoming draft...

First, I've read in many place about CB and DT being high as Vikings draft needs.
    I'm not sure I follow this.

Regarding CB, I was impressed with the way Griffin emerged as last season progressed, as obviously was the Vikings organization considering the contract extension they just gave him.
    On the other side is Pro Bowler Winfield, also the target of contract negotiations at the moment.
    It appears, then, we have our two solid starters set, not just for this year but for the next 2-3 years.
    For depth, I've been impressed with Charles Gordon, who hopefully will come back from his injury.
    McCauley had a down year, but I wouldn't give up on him yet.
    We signed Paymah, re-signed Sapp, and have by my count 3 more CBs already on the roster (Marcus Walker, Derrick Roberson, Roderick Rogers).
    Considering we have 2 solid starters and a good number of players to compete to provide quality depth, I'd be surprised if the Vikes take a CB in the first 3 rounds.

As far as DT, I read the Vikes need to draft for depth here, especially considering Pat Williams' age.
    Isn't this the reason Letroy Guion was drafted last year?
    Also, Fred Evans is still a young player, and we've brought Jimmy Kennedy in.

I'm surprised Ellis Wyms hasn't been re-signed yet, but I think that's coming.
    Again, seems we have quality starters and good depth and I'd be surprised to see a DT in the first 3 rounds.

So where do I see needs?
    OL, of course, especially at RT and also possibly at C (just have no idea whether John Sullivan is a legit starter or not...);
    WR (Berrian is a lock, but I think any of the other receivers would have to fight for a roster spot on many other teams);
    S (need some depth here behind M. Williams and T. Johnson); FB; and RB (yes, RB ... we could use a solid 3d guy behind Peterson and Taylor ... we've been lucky with avoiding RB injuries, but it happens...).

So, while I understand the BPA draft mentality, looking at a positional analysis I'd love the following:

(1)
    WR.

If Harvin's available, I don't know how you pass him up.
    Would love to have him as another playmaker on offense.
    Also Heyward-Bey or Nicks here.
    If one of the top OTs fell here, I'd probably go that route...but by most accounts they'll all be gone by this point.

(2)
    OT.

Meredith or Loadholt, maybe?

(3)
    C.

Seems to be some solid centers availabe .... possibly Wood or Luigs here?

(Frankly I wouldn't mind if they took Alex Mack in the first as by all accounts he sounds like the type who would be an instant starter and stay there for years and years to come....)

(5)
    RB.

(7)
    FB.

(7)
    S.

Don't get me wrong, if a stud LB fell way down to 22, or a Mark Sanchez fell down to 22 ... I have no issues with the Vikings drafting him.
    But by pure positional need ... I stick by the above.
    The potential roster produced....

QB:
    Rosenfels, T Jack, Booty
    RB:
    Peterson, Taylor, Rd. 5 draft choice
    FB:
    Rd. 7 draft choice, Dugan
    (I hate Tahi and hope they cut his a**)
    TE:
    Shiancoe, Kleinsasser, Mills
    OL:
    McKinnie, Hutchinson, Sullivan, Herrera, Cook, Rd. 2 draft choice, Rd. 3 draft choice, Hicks, Drew Radovich
    WR:
    Berrian, Rd. 1 draft choice, Wade, Rice, Allison

DE:
    Allen, Edwards, Robison, Udeze, J. Mitchell
    DT:
    Williams, Williams, Kennedy, Guion, Evans
    LB:

EJ Henderson, Greenway, Leber, Erin Henderson, Farwell, Herron
    CB:
    Griffin, Winfield, Gordon, McCauley, Paymah
    S:

Williams, Johnson, Rd. 7 draft choice, Frampton

K:

Longwell
    P:

Kluwe
    LS:

Loeffler

Those are my random thoughts for a Saturday morning.
    2 weeks until draft day...can't wait!

thatjusthappened28 is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Draft/Roster thoughts

"SoDakfan" wrote:

First, I've read in many place about CB and DT being high as Vikings draft needs.

Regarding CB, I was impressed with the way Griffin emerged as last season progressed, as obviously was the Vikings organization considering the contract extension they just gave him.
    On the other side is Pro Bowler Winfield, also the target of contract negotiations at the moment.
    It appears, then, we have our two solid starters set, not just for this year but for the next 2-3 years.
    For depth, I've been impressed with Charles Gordon, who hopefully will come back from his injury.
    We signed Paymah, re-signed Sapp, and have by my count 3 more CBs already on the roster (Marcus Walker, Derrick Roberson, Roderick Rogers).

Considering we have 2 solid starters and a good number of players to compete to provide quality depth, I'd be surprised if the Vikes take a CB in the first 3 rounds.

As far as DT, I read the Vikes need to draft for depth here, especially considering Pat Williams' age.

Again, seems we have quality starters and good depth and I'd be surprised to see a DT in the first 3 rounds.

So where do I see needs?
    OL, of course, especially at RT and also possibly at C (just have no idea whether John Sullivan is a legit starter or not...);
    WR (Berrian is a lock, but I think any of the other receivers would have to fight for a roster spot on many other teams);
    S (need some depth here behind M. Williams and T. Johnson); FB; and RB (yes, RB ... we could use a solid 3d guy behind Peterson and Taylor ... we've been lucky with avoiding RB injuries, but it happens...).

So, while I understand the BPA draft mentality, looking at a positional analysis I'd love the following:

(1)
    WR.

If one of the top OTs fell here, I'd probably go that route...but by most accounts they'll all be gone by this point.

(2)
    OT.

(3)
    C.

(Frankly I wouldn't mind if they took Alex Mack in the first as by all accounts he sounds like the type who would be an instant starter and stay there for years and years to come....)

(5)
    RB.

(7)
    FB.

(7)
    S.

Don't get me wrong, if a stud LB fell way down to 22, or a Mark Sanchez fell down to 22 ... I have no issues with the Vikings drafting him.

QB:

Rosenfels, T Jack, Booty
    RB:

FB:

TE:

OL:

McKinnie, Hutchinson, Sullivan, Herrera, Cook, Rd. 2 draft choice, Rd. 3 draft choice, Hicks, Drew Radovich
    WR:

DE:

DT:

LB:

CB:

S:

K:

Longwell
    P:

Kluwe
    LS:

Loeffler

(1)
    WR.

Kenny Britt in my eyes brings more of an overall talent to the team. He's got good hands, good speed, and a tremendous blocker for a WR. I'd love to see him. Harvin will be gone to the Jets at 17 anyway...

(2)
    OT.

I'd love to draft Loadholt if he falls to us. Big Body, great run blocker... we'll see if he can improve his pass blocking game.

(3)
    C.

Woods/Caldwell are quality centers and viable options to make an immediate impact.

(5)
    QB/S
    Rhett Bomar will be a talent in the NFL... i'd like to see us bring him in.
    If he's gone (he may go 4th round according to Kiper)... Emmanuel Cook/Darel McBath are solid Safety options for us in the 5th.

(7)
    FB.

Javorski Lane or Frank Summers would pry be our best options.

(7)
    S/CB/LB
    Nate Ness/Lendy Holmes options for safety if we decide to get Rhett Bomar in the 5th instead of S. If we go Safety in 5th we should address CB with Brady Fletcher or LB with Brit Miller or Nick Reed (this is to address depth.)

thank you Josdin00 for the amazing sig!

and yes... that just happened!

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

As to CB and DT, its mostly future depth concerns, (at the moment, Griffin is the only CB we have signed past this year) and, that Our biggest weaknesses last year were still Pass defense and pass offense.
    And, of course, special teams.
    I see pretty much all our FA moves so far as depth/special teams guys, and with Farwell returning, we should be much improved there.
    Jared Allen really helped out out pass D.
    But, we could still use a bit more pressure and with the way we rotate our DLmen, depth there will most likely add some reps right away.
    On the other hand, Udeze is scheduled to return and we've got a bunch of potential in young developing guys like Robison, Edwards, Guion, Evens etc.

I agree with you on Harvin, but would have to consider the test results too...that will be distributed to the teams before the draft, right?

I like the versatile OL guys more than the big brutes in this draft.
    A bit less size in the running game but a bit more agility in pass blocking might end up helping the running game too...by making us less predictable and more balanced.
    Unger would be a steal in the 2nd, TJ Lang looks to hold good value in the 3rd...both guys could also play guard or center in case of injuries or if somehow someone with more experience wins RT.

One more plug for Quinn Johnson, FB LSU.
    This kid can flat out play!!
    Beast of a blocker, solid hands, tough as hell to tackle and powerful on short yardage.
    I don't think he'll be there for us in round 5, lets say we trade both our 7ths and next year's 4th for a mid/late 4th round pick this year and make sure we get our guy.
    And, in the case that we draft Harvin and call him the 3rd RB as Marrdro suggested, we also have Quinn as a realisitic option to run the ball...and, his LB experience helps out our STs too!

POSITIVES:
    A dominating lead blocker and powerfull ball carrier...Very physical and aggressive...Terrific special teamer...team player with top intangibles.
    The weaknesses listed are basically just experience carrying and catching the ball, but I can tell you he was extremely impressive in the Senior bowl, showing enough burst to take his 246 lbs 3 or 4 yds up field before any body hit him, and then carrying 3 or 4 guys with him for another 4 or 5 yards.
    He also looked smooth catching the ball and turning it up field for more DB punishing.
    But his blocking was outstanding.
    On nearly every good play for his team, you could see him knocking fools flat and getting after another.

http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/fb/Quinn-Johnson.php

The way I see it, at the moment, those 7s aren't worth much to us anyway, cuz we'll likely be able to sign some good UDFAs for camp competition too.
    They may mean more to a team that has more needs and/or a less desirable location/coach etc...ie OAK.

Overall, nice post.
    We've all been looking through the team lately, getting stoked for the draft.
    I really think the right combo of players in the right spots could really boost us that extra couple of wins.
    One more explosive playmaker to make defenses play "pick your poison," with more consistency, and a big upgrade in pass blocking like, Unger in the 2nd and Quinn in the 3rd (ok, stretching for a FB, but WOW, Pass Blocking!!??!) might just give our offense the balance it needs, to improve our running game too, And, set our defense up to really wreak havoc!!!

BAAAAHWOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ;D 8)

Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni

Thanks for the late round thoughts, it's always good to learn something about the later round possibilities.
    I still think we get the BPA in the first round, either a OT, a WR, or a CB, then we'll see about rounds 5,6, and 7. Debth at RB, LB, OL, and S, will all be wise additions. DT will be addressed next year I'm fairly certain.

mark is offline Asst. Coach

I think CB is a must.Teams kill us by spreading it out and we only have 2 good corners.If we had a young playmaker at nickel that would help us alot.If we cant get harvin I think we should go butler or smith.That would give us some nasty CBs.Or maybe get that 6 4 corner smith in the 2nd if we get harvin then somehow get a 2nd tear tackle.
    <!--
    sig -->

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"mark" wrote:
    I think CB is a must.Teams kill us by spreading it out and we only have 2 good corners.If we had a young playmaker at nickel that would help us alot.If we cant get harvin I think we should go butler or smith.That would give us some nasty CBs.Or maybe get that 6 4 corner smith in the 2nd if we get harvin then somehow get a 2nd tear tackle.
    I totally disagree. Our problems are not on the defensive side of the ball. They are on the offensive side. I don't understand why people want to focus on fixing the only side of the ball that performed consistantly for us last season. Did people not watch how bogged down we were on offense. All of the 3 and outs? The countless times we asked the defense to defend a short feild and they turned around and forced a punt. Did I add we had the 6th ranked defense.

[move]6th is very good[/move]

We were missing our MLB( QB of the defense) and our run stuffing end. What's with you guys. Bobby Wade is our 2nd WR. Bobby fucking Wade! NO disrespect to his consistancy but he is not a 2nd WR on 28 teams in this league.
    We need to upgrade our WR corp. It's one of the worst in the league. ( about 25th I estimate) We should be focus on fixing our OL that has not become a problem due to us dicking Birk on the chance to retire here.
    We need to fix our QB problem. People are worring about Pat retiring...when we stink on offense.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "mark" wrote:
    I totally disagree. Our problems are not on the defensive side of the ball. They are on the offensive side. I don't understand why people want to focus on fixing the only side of the ball that performed consistantly for us last season. Did people not watch how bogged down we were on offense. All of the 3 and outs? The countless times we asked the defense to defend a short feild and they turned around and forced a punt. Did I add we had the 6th ranked defense.

[move]6th is very good[/move]

We were missing our MLB( QB of the defense) and our run stuffing end. What's with you guys. Bobby Wade is our 2nd WR. Bobby fucking Wade! NO disrespect to his consistancy but he is not a 2nd WR on 28 teams in this league.
    We need to upgrade our WR corp. It's one of the worst in the league. ( about 25th I estimate) We should be focus on fixing our OL that has not become a problem due to us dicking Birk on the chance to retire here.
    We need to fix our QB problem. People are worring about Pat retiring...when we stink on offense.
    Defense wins championships. 6th is very good, but not likely to win a superbowl.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

D is not a serious need

SoDakfan is offline Training Camp

"Defense wins championships."
    Well, of course it's an important component ... but so is scoring some points and having the ability to keep your defense fresh by allowing them a good break by maintaining ball possession.
    What wins championships is having a good defense AND an offense that passes the laugh test.
    If it wasn't for AD, we'd have the worst offense in the league, hands down.
    It was just brutal watching our defense kick ass last year only to wear down because the offense couldn't keep it off the field for long.

Obviously I agree with kevoncox, as every draft pick I proposed except for 1 No. 7 pick is offense.
    Bobby Wade is a good receiver ... for a 4th or 5th spot on most rosters.
    Not as our No. 2 guy.
    Receiver and OL are the biggest needs, along with QB, but at this point I think all we can do is hope and pray that either TJack or Rosenfels establishes himself as an average NFL starting quarterback and "drive the car" so to speak in a passable manner.

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"thatjusthappened28" wrote:
    "SoDakfan" wrote:

So where do I see needs?

(1)
    WR.

(2)
    OT.

(3)
    C.

(5)
    RB.

(7)
    FB.

(7)
    S.

QB:

Rosenfels, T Jack, Booty
    RB:

FB:

TE:

OL:

WR:

DE:

DT:

LB:

CB:

S:

K:

Longwell
    P:

Kluwe
    LS:

Loeffler

(1)
    WR.

Kenny Britt in my eyes brings more of an overall talent to the team. He's got good hands, good speed, and a tremendous blocker for a WR. I'd love to see him. Harvin will be gone to the Jets at 17 anyway...

(2)
    OT.

I'd love to draft Loadholt if he falls to us. Big Body, great run blocker... we'll see if he can improve his pass blocking game.

(3)
    C.

Woods/Caldwell are quality centers and viable options to make an immediate impact.

(5)
    QB/S

Rhett Bomar will be a talent in the NFL... i'd like to see us bring him in.
    If he's gone (he may go 4th round according to Kiper)... Emmanuel Cook/Darel McBath are solid Safety options for us in the 5th.

(7)
    FB.

Javorski Lane or Frank Summers would pry be our best options.

(7)
    S/CB/LB
    Nate Ness/Lendy Holmes options for safety if we decide to get Rhett Bomar in the 5th instead of S. If we go Safety in 5th we should address CB with Brady Fletcher or LB with Brit Miller or Nick Reed (this is to address depth.)
    I disagree.
    i think he will be there.
    The Jets already have Leon Washington so i doubt they grab a similar talent in the first. Denver will go defense.
    Tampa is a possibility but doubtful with the emergence of Bryant.
    The Lions are very doubtful to WR (but you never know!) and the Eagles grabbed Jackson last year.
    I think he will be there for the taking if we want him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast