Thread: Draft Day Story

Draft Day Story

Very interesting story.....good read and good imput! I got this from another site...: Click Here

A new kind of mock/story. From the Patriots point of view. I might make some more closer to the draft if I feel like it. Please R and R.

DRAFT DAY- APRIL 29th, 2005

Scott Pioli is driving on the highway. Listening to Nickelback's "Photograph." As he listens to it, he looks at a picture. A picture of a team. A team that had the whole world against them. A team that no one expected to go anywhere. A team that's main catalysts were a 6th round draftee quarterback, a safety, and a rookie defensive end.

The 2001 Super Bowl team.

"My how times have changed." the world renowned executive thought to himself. So may players no longer here. Ty Law. Lawyer Milloy. Antowain Smith. And so many new components, integral to Super Bowl runs. Rodney Harrison. Mike Vrabel. Corey Dillon. Yet, he had always stood by this team, through thick and thin. The pundits, the so-called experts, they thought this would be a rebuilding year for the Patriots. The Dolphins would get their chance to shine, with Daunte Culpepper at the helm, and Ronnie Brown breaking out, right? The Bills were much improved, with new number 1 wideout Lee Evans, correct? The Jets have a great defense, and you never know about Pennington, right? The Pats are screwed, right?

"Wrong." Pioli thought, as he pulled up to Gillette Stadium. "They're all wrong."

Scott Pioli walked through the maze of hallways in the underground of Gillette Stadium, passing by the beautiful field, the centerpiece of the stadium. After what seemed like hours, he finally reached he conference room. He opened the door, and was greeted by a group of coordinators, Bill Belichick, and, the man on top, Robert Kraft.

"Another year, right Scott?" Kraft said in a gleeful voice.

"Let's do this." Pioli said. "Show me the draft board."

Belichick then motioned Pioli to a large board on the right side of the room. It had a list of players the Patriots coveted with their selection at number 21 in the draft.

"Hmm...This seems like a pretty solid draft board." Pioli surmised. "It seems like our 1st rounder is down to 3 positions, correct?"

"Yes." Belichick said. "Running back, Wide receiver, Linebacker."

"Inside or outside?" Pioli asked. "In our system, that's pretty important."

"Well for now, we really don't know." Belichick admitted. "There are good possibilities for both."

"This is going to be an interesting day." Dean Pees, the defensive coordinator whistled under his breath.

12:15 P.M.

The Texans are now on the clock. It is a very bad kept secret who they'll take.

"Bush, no doubt, right?" Pepper Johnson asked.

"Yeah, yeah, that's correct." Pioli answered him. "Let's begin searching for trades. Try to either trade up or get Domanick Davis for a 2nd or 3rd rounder." Pioli told an assistant, Brian Daboll, as Paul Tagliabue made the announcement.

"With the 1st selection in the 1st round, the Houston Texans select Reggie Bush, RB, USC"

"The Saints are on the clock."

"This could get interesting." Belichick thought. Everyone speculated that the selection would be for Matt Leinart, but their signing of Brees eliminated that train of thought.

"I'm thinking a trade down." said Kraft. "Want to get in on this?"

"Nah." Pioli said. "If they're smart, they'll take AJ Hawk. Or D'Brickashaw Ferguson. Beside, who'll want to trade up?"

That question was answered as Tagliabue came to the pedestal ominously early.

"There has been a trade." he said. "The New Orleans have traded the number 2 overall selection to the Minnesota Vikings for the number 17 pick, a third rounder from this year, a 1st rounder from next year and a 2nd rounder from next year. The Vikings are on the clock." On this note, Offensive Coordinator Josh McDaniels looked extremely happy.

"DeAngelo Williams, the RB from Memphis, could slip to us!" he said jovially!

After a few minutes, Tagliabue came back and announced the Viking selecton, Matt Leinart, QB, USC. The Titans were now on the clock, and they quickly snapped up Vince Young, QB Texas, so quikcly, that no important conversation occured between the picks. The Jets were on the clock.

"D'Brickashaw Ferguson?" Pioli thought aloud?

"That'd be the smart pick." Daboll nodded in assent. "They're OL is a mess, especially without Fabini."

And sure enough, D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia, was the selection for the Jets. The Packers then were on the clock.

"In my opinion," Pepper began, "this is the first pick that we could have trouble predicting."

Agreed, thought Pioli. It could Mario Williams, AJ Hawk, or Michael Huff.

"If Hawk slips," Pioli said in a tense voice, "we're trying a trade up. He's too good to pass up. Someone call Oakland, and if not them, St. Louis at least." A bustle of trade and anxiety filled the air, as the staff decided who they thought the Packers would take.

"They have two good DE's in Kabeer and Kampman..." Daboll said while checking their roster. "It's Hawk." he concluded. "AJ Hawk, OLB, Ohio State. Their biggest need by far." And the commish made him seem like a prophet a few minutes after, making Hawk the 5th overall pick.

"Want to pull a Dewayne Robertson or Johnathon Sulivan?" McDaniels asked Pioli, referring to trading up for a player who at that position may be a reach.

"Nah." the conservative Pioli said. "Let's wait. Who do you think the Niners will take?"

"Vernon Davis." thought McDaniels.

"Nah. Michael Huff." thought Pepper. "He's more of a need."

"Davis is a better athlete, and amazing as a TE." said McDaniels. "Manny Lawson would be a better pick. Heck, so would Mario Williams."

"I forgot about him. He's the pick." McDaniels repented. Tagliabue went to the podium.

"With the 6th overall pick, the Niners select Mario Williams, DE, NCST. Oakland is on the clock."

"Oh I bet they wanted Williams." Belichick said, followed by a hollow whistle.

"CALL FOR A TRADE UP!" Pioli basically yelled, and Daboll called Al Davis immediately.

"Hello? Mr Davis? This is Brian Daboll from the Patriots. We want to know if you would be interested in trading down? No? You want Michael Huff, S, Texas? Oh. OK? Let's try to talk more in the future. Thanks. Bye bye." He said, dismally as he hung up the phone.

"They want Huff. They think he's Ronnie Lott or something." he said angrily, feeling he let the Patriots down.

"No matter." Bob Kraft said comfortingly. "Who's on the clock now, Buffalo?"

"Yep. Either Vernon Davis or Haloti Ngata for them I think." said Pepper Johnson.

"They're both pretty big needs. I'd take Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon, though." said Kraft.

"Why?" asked Belichick.

"You got a good offense, with McGahee and Evans. They can get a guy like Leonard Pope or Marcedes Lewis round 2." Apoparently, the Pats know other teams in their league way to well, as the pick was predicted correctly.

"DETROIT!" said Pioli, once AGAIN almost jumping out of his chair. "Go for the trade. We can Greenway, Lawson OR Williams here. Holmes if we wanted too also. Tell them they can get an OT like Scott later in the draft." Brian Daboll immediately went to call Matt Millen. After a few minutes of conversation, he turned back to his fellow war-roomers with a look of glee on his face.

"He said to watch ESPN. That can only be a good sign." Paul Tagliabue eventually came onto the screen.

"There has been a trade." he said, and a cheer erupted from the Patriots war room.

"The Detroit Lions have traded their number 1 pick, 9th overall, to the Denver Broncos for the 15th overall pick and a third round selection. The Broncos are now on the clock."

"That little double crosser." Pioli said, his fists white, clenched with fury. Eventually, the Broncos made their pick in Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland. Arizona immediately followed suit with Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt, leaving St. Louis on the clock. Daboll immediately ran to the phone, called, and said that the Rams would call back.

"For now, they want either Greenway, Lawson, or Bunkley."

"Let's pray they either trade with us or take Bunkley guys.' McDaniels said. And their prayers were NOT answered, as to help their LB corps, the Rams took Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa. The Browns were then on the clock, and the Pats were expecting the worst.

"First Greenway." Belichick mourned. "Now probably Carpenter or Lawson."

"It's looking more like Holmes or DeAngelo Williams for us." Kraft said. But, for once, he was wrong, as the Browns, in order to shore up their defensive line, took Broderick Bunkley, DE, Florida State. Then, the Ravens were on the clock.

"They couldn't take DeAngelo, could they?" asked McDaniels questioningly.

"Nah. Tye Hill, CB, Clemson is the pick." Kraft said, a minute before Tagliabue made it official. "They have 2 good RBs, and they need a good nickelback. I'd be more worried about the next team."

"The Eagles? Why?" Daboll asked questioningly.

"Well, they need both RBs and OLBs." he answered. "Probably OLB if I had to choose."

Paul Tagliabue came onto the screen a few minutes later.

"The Philadelphia Eagles select Manny Lawson, OLB, NCST."

"Darn it! He's too fast!" said Johnson. "He reminded me so much of Willie Mac!"

"Well, we could wait for Carpenter." said Belichick. "Either him or Williams for me. The Lions want an OL, they'll take Jonathan Scott probably. Maybe Winston Justice, OT, USC, for the athletecism factor." And sure enough, that was who they took. Miami was finally on the clock, round 1 was halfway over. And Miami took Jimmy Williams, CB/S, VT, in a small surprise.

The New Orleans Saints, with their selection acquired from the Vikings, were next on the clock.

"They're going OLB." Belichick said. "That's why I was very surprised when they didn't get Hawk at numer 2. No way Terrence Melton starts the season as their OLB. It's gotta be Sims or Ryans."

"Sims is another possibility at our selection, getting ever closer." Pepper said. "I hope they take Ryans."

Pepper's hopes went for naught when Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State, was the selection for the Saints. That put the Cowboys on the clock. However, not for long.

"The Cowboys have traded their pick to the Arizona Cardinals for their number 1 pick in 2007 and their number 3 this year. The Cardinals select Jon Scott, OT, Texas."

"Typical." said McDaniels. "They want the golden boy, Brady Quinn next year."

"He won't even be the best QB in that class." said Pioli. "Going out on a limb, I love Troy Smith as a QB. This also opens the door for the Chargers to take Ko Simpson, FS, South Carolina, and KC to take either Holmes, Jackson, Stovall or even a scondary player. Then US!"

Since I know you want to see the Pat pick discussion, I'll have Kansas City taking Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State, bringing up the Patriots on the draft clock.

"We're up guys." Pioli said. "DeAngelo Williams is still on the clock, as are Bobby Carpenter, Thomas Howard, Kamerion Wimbley, LenDale White, and Chad Jackson, among others. Who do we take?"

"Let's first narrow it down." said Belichick. "I pick Carpenter, Williams and White. We can take a WR in Round 2."

"I agree." said Kraft. "Bobby Carpenter, DeAngelo Williams and LenDale White."

---10:34 left on draft clock -----------------------------------------------------

"DeAngelo Williams is so complete!" said McDaniels. "White is one dimensional; a power back."

"But LenDale White is so good in goal line situations." Belichick said. "And Carpenter reminds me of another Ohio State alumnus. Mike Vrabel."

"This is going to be a tough decision." said Kraft. "Might take all 15 minutes."

---6:31 left on draft clock--------------------------------------------------------

The draft room is now split into three sects: White, Williams and Carpenter. Pepper is now speaking on behalf of Carpenter.

"We can draft a guy like Joseph Addai in round 2!" he exclaimes. "Carpenter is a unique talent. He's perfect for our system."

"Williams is great as well." said Belichick. "Personally, I feel that White won't be the pick."

After A LOT more discussion, it was narrowed down to either DeAngelo Williams or Bobby Carpenter.

"You never know about Corey." Daboll argued on Williams' behalf.

"Exactly." Pepper spoke up again. "He could go for 1,500 yards, and then what a mistake we made!"

After lots of arguing, the team condescended to do something unprecedented.

"So, we take Carpenter here, and try to trade to the back of the 1st round to get either Addai or maybe even Williams?" Kraft asked.

"Yep."

"Is this the final decision?"

"Yep. Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State is our pick."

Then, the next few picks were a blur of trade talk with every single team at the bottom of the board. Denver passed up a trade to get Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College, who had slipped a bit to the back of the 1st round. Tampa Bay, however, considered it for the Patriots 3rd and 1st next year. In the end, the trade fell through, and Tampa Bay took DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama. Cincinnati wanted to get another capable pass receiver, so Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia was their selection, while the Giants reached for Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP.

"Let's face it." Belichick said. "We;re too good. No one wants to trade with us. We're too good. It wouldn't be good value for them."

"This may be our last chance. Carolina's gonna take Williams if we don't get him."

"I have decided." Kraft announced, an air of finality in his voice. "We're waiting for Addai. I don't want to give up such an early draft pick just yet to get an unproven commodity. We'll wait, and take our chances. "

The rest of the first round passed pretty quickly. Chicago took Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State, Carolina got DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis, Jacksonville got Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA, the Jets got Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota, LenDale White, RB, USC, became a Colt, MaxJean Gilles, OG, Georgia became a Seahawk and the Steelers rounded out the round by selecting Martin Nance, Wr, Miami (OH).

End of Round 1

Round 2 UPCOMING!!!!!!!

1. HOU- Reggie Bush, RB, USC
    2. MIN (from NO)- Matt Leinart, QB, USC
    3. TEN- Vince Young, QB, Texas
    4. NYJ- D'Brickashaw Ferguson, OT, Virginia
    5. GB- AJ Hawk, OLB, Ohio State
    6. SF- Mario Williams, DE, NCST
    7. OAK- Michael Huff, S, Texas
    8. BUF- Haloti Ngata, DT, Oregon
    9. DEN (from DET)- Vernon Davis, TE, Maryland
    10. ARZ- Jay Cutler, QB, Vanderbilt
    11. STL- Chad Greenway, OLB, Iowa
    12. CLE- Broderick Bunkley, DE, Florida State
    13. BAL- Tye Hill, CB, Clemson
    14. PHI- Manny Lawson, OLB, NCST
    15. DET (from DEN)- Winston Justice, OT, USC
    16. MIA- Jimmy Williams, CB/S, VT
    17. NO (from MIN)- Ernie Sims, OLB, Florida State
    18. ARZ (from DAL)- Jon Scott, OT, Texas
    19. SD- Ko Simpson, S, South Carolina
    20. KC- Santonio Holmes, WR, Ohio State
    21. NE- Bobby Carpenter, OLB, Ohio State
    22. DEN- Mathias Kiwanuka, DE, Boston College
    23. TB- DeMeco Ryans, OLB, Alabama
    24. CIN- Leonard Pope, TE, Georgia
    25. NYG- Thomas Howard, OLB, UTEP
    26. CHI- Richard Marshall, CB, Fresno State
    27. CAR- DeAngelo Williams, RB, Memphis
    28. JAX- Marcedes Lewis, TE, UCLA
    29. NYJ (from DEN via ATL)- Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
    30. IND- LenDale White, RB, USC
    31. SEA- Max Jean Gilles, OG, Georgia
    32. PIT- Martin Nance, WR, Miami (OH)

Storylines:

Will Addai fall to the Patriots?

Stumblers (Hali, Wimbley and Cromartie)

Howard in 1st round

SnoSho is offline Rookie

Re: Draft Day Story

Wow that is a serious amount of work put into the story. Love to have Leinhart but ouch on the talent loss from that 2 first, 2nd, and a 3rd.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

F the Patsies!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Would the #2 really be worth ALL of those picks???

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

stjmnsota is offline Pro-Bowler

Only trade up for Leinhart. I really don't think Young goes that high. Too much talent out there.

damien927 is offline Asst. Coach

no way the #2 is worth that many picks.

Thanks Lotza!

Jeremy is offline Starter

"damien927" wrote:
    no way the #2 is worth that many picks.
    Draft Value Chart

#2 overall is worth 2600 points

Vikes 17th overall is worth 950 points
    Vikes 48th overall is worth 420 points
    Vikes 51st overall is worth 390 points
    Vikes 83rd overall is worth 175 points
    Vikes 95th overall is worth 120 points
    Total is 2055 points almost enough for the #3 overall pick.

They would have to package picks from a futue drafts to move to number 2 overall

Warp is offline Asst. Coach

Wow, wouldnt that be something to see Leinart in a Vikings jersey afterall. :lol: But thats ALOT to give up for him.... he would HAVE to be the next Tom Brady.

it was an well thought out story.

Here is a mock draft of us getting Leinart without any trades.

]http://www.ninercaphell.com/mock.php]