Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    VikingGuy43 is offline Rookie

Draft Day Dilemma

I am really starting to wonder what the Vikings are going to do in this years draft. Do we trade up to get one of the big 3 QB's or do we stay where we are and draft the best player who fits our needs? I know I am definitely worried about our QB situation this year let alone after this year. Brad Johnson played well last year but it was during the weak part of our schedule and in all honesty I just don't see him as the type of QB that is going to lead us deep into the playoffs. If he goes down we have Mike McMahon (2-7 last year with the Eagles)! That being said I don't want to give up a lot of picks to move into the top 10 to get a QB. Having 4 picks in the 2nd and 3rd rounds gives us a chance to add a lot of depth and young talent and I don't think it makes sense to give that up unless we are feeling certain we are getting a stud QB. There is no question that QB is the most important position on a football team. If not the most important, at least the one that has the greatest impact on the game. We need one... but our needs at LB, nickleback, and RG/RT makes me think we should stay put on draft day and select the best available player instead. Unfortunatly I think Childress has other plans.

vikingsfan42 is offline Training Camp

Re: Draft Day Dilemma

There's plenty of good QB's in the 2nd and 3rd rounds

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

What I want and what the team will actually do are two different things. I would love to trade up for Leinart. I would be equally pleased to keep all the picks and find one more QB in FA and worry about our future QB later. Neither of these will happen. The team will want to get the future QB in ASAP to start grooming him but I don't feel too comfortable selling our souls to any of the QBs in this draft other than Leinart

[color=red]

"vikingsfan42" wrote:
    Yeah but they definitely aren't as promising as the top 3 guys. Brodie Croyle has suffered a lot of injuries in his college career including torn ACL's in both knees. Charlie Whitehurst is known for being inconsistant and making stupid decisions. Omar Jacobs is overrated and I really don't see him doing much in the NFL. The guy before him at Bowling Green Josh Harris put up some pretty sick numbers there too and look what he is doing on Sundays.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This has been discussed at length in other threads... however, this is the first time I have seen it with a poll, and you worded it very well (IMO) to encompass everybody's opinion. So I won't beat up up for posting it (although others will, I am sure :wink.

I actually think it will come down to a draft day decision. If Cutler falls out of the top ten, and the asking price wasn't too high, I could see the Vikings trading up. However, I think the most likely scenario will be to simply take the best player available at 17. Hopefully Sims!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

"MensaTice" wrote:
    What I want and what the team will actually do are two different things. I would love to trade up for Leinart. I would be equally pleased to keep all the picks and find one more QB in FA and worry about our future QB later. Neither of these will happen. The team will want to get the future QB in ASAP to start grooming him but I don't feel too comfortable selling our souls to any of the QBs in this draft other than Leinart
    I would agree Leinert is the only QB I would be happy with us trading up for and he is going to be out of our reach. The other 2 guys just have too much potential to be busts. I loved Vince Young in college but his lack of accuracy concerns me in the West Coast Offense. Cutler I think could be the best out of all these guys but the truth is he just hasn't won. I think he was like 10-36 at Vandy. If he does that in the NFL he will be Joey Harrington version 2.0. The only way I would want to trade up for him is if he fell past 10 and the price wasn't too high, which is possible.

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    This has been discussed at length in other threads... however, this is the first time I have seen it with a poll, and you worded it very well (IMO) to encompass everybody's opinion. So I won't beat up up for posting it (although others will, I am sure :wink.

I actually think it will come down to a draft day decision. If Cutler falls out of the top ten, and the asking price wasn't too high, I could see the Vikings trading up. However, I think the most likely scenario will be to simply take the best player available at 17. Hopefully Sims!
    Sorry the post seems too familiar. I haven't been a member for very long. I actually just wrote another comment saying exactly what you did in your second paragraph. Sims would be great, Cutler if we can get him cheap.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingGuy43" wrote:
    "vikingsfan42" wrote:
    Yeah but they definitely aren't as promising as the top 3 guys. Brodie Croyle has suffered a lot of injuries in his college career including torn ACL's in both knees. Charlie Whitehurst is known for being inconsistant and making stupid decisions. Omar Jacobs is overrated and I really don't see him doing much in the NFL. The guy before him at Bowling Green Josh Harris put up some pretty sick numbers there too and look what he is doing on Sundays.
    Success in college for a QB does not do a good job of predicting success in the NFL. There are a lot of very good QBs that come our of the second or third round. The success rate for top 15 pick QBs is right around 50%, so it just isn't worth it to trade up for a QB.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

If we stay put at 17th this is how I would want it

Vince if he happened to slip>DeAngelo>Sims

Prophet Guest

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast