Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Draft analysis: Keeping what they covet?

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Re: Draft analysis: Keeping what they covet?

Once we get 2004 and 2005 out of this, I believe our numbers will go up.....

http://www.drafthistory.com/teams/vikings.html
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, fricken ouch and ugly in 04 and 05!!!
    Good read!
    Interesting stuff there

One of the first things to notice about the Vikings is that they have a history of packaging picks to move up. Over the last five years, they have made just 34 picks. Only three teams – the Cardinals (33), Giants (33) and Redskins have made fewer picks. Who clearly stockpiles picks? Tennessee tops the list with 51 draft picks, followed by Green Bay (49), Philadelphia (47) and Tampa Bay (47). These are teams that have clearly shown a willingness to trade players for picks or trade down to amass more selections – something to keep an eye on draft weekend when they are on the clock.

While the numbers don’t take into account trades like the one the Vikings made to get Jared Allen, when half the league has produced more than twice as many starters as you and nobody has less, that can’t be overly comforting.
    Double D'oh!!!

Of course, teams like SanFran and STL that have produced 11 or more starters have been forced to that point by poor performance by their vets, injuries etc.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Yeah, fricken ouch and ugly in 04 and 05!!!
    Good read!
    Interesting stuff there

One of the first things to notice about the Vikings is that they have a history of packaging picks to move up. Over the last five years, they have made just 34 picks. Only three teams – the Cardinals (33), Giants (33) and Redskins have made fewer picks. Who clearly stockpiles picks? Tennessee tops the list with 51 draft picks, followed by Green Bay (49), Philadelphia (47) and Tampa Bay (47). These are teams that have clearly shown a willingness to trade players for picks or trade down to amass more selections – something to keep an eye on draft weekend when they are on the clock.

While the numbers don’t take into account trades like the one the Vikings made to get Jared Allen, when half the league has produced more than twice as many starters as you and nobody has less, that can’t be overly comforting.
    Double D'oh!!!

Of course, teams like SanFran and STL that have produced 11 or more starters have been forced to that point by poor performance by their vets, injuries etc.
    Excellent point my friend.
    I guess you could almost say the same about the Vikes.
    If they had any talent (especially from 2004 and 2005) we wouldn't have had to be gutted forcing alot of young kids on the field, in most cases, probably sooner then they should have been.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Yup its pretty tough to recover from zero production out of one year (with 2 fricken firsts no less!! >)
    And losing most of the guys from the year before that were worth keeping...but, really upon further review, 2004 wasn't that bad.

Mewelde Moore is still a big contributor...its just that with AP, he would have been a luxury 3rd RB.
    Dugan is still here, Udeze is a good player who I hope and believe is making a comeback, Dontarious Thomas has given us some good, double digit tackle games.
    Hell, even Scott had some good contributions before his head exploded.
    If I remember right, Davis contributed some STs tackles...
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot