i would much rather have vince young than jay cutler
    jay cutler=tim couch but worse
    jay cutler win lost record is
    2-10
    2-10
    2-9
    5-6
    no bowl appearances
    vince young win 2 big games with his arm this year against osu and usc he has thrown for more td has a better comp % 65 to cutler 59% and a way better qb rating 164 to cutlers 126 he is a winner national champion
    qb are judged by wins cutler has 11 over four year he is a bum
    vince young has two rose bowl mvp & is the winner of college football best qb award
    i would love for us to get him
    if we trade up to get cutler it would be the worst move in vikings history that includes the moss & walker trades
    You may want to check these out before you write another sentence..
    Capitalization
    Punctuation

Vrehna is offline Rookie

Re: Don't be surprised

There is no way that he would have gotten away with most of what he did here in the NFL. He capitalized on a lot of bad mistakes, nothing more.

He's getting killed in the NFL...

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    I was simply pointing out that a scrambling QB can have success in the WCO. It can be an asset in anyoffense. I also said that Vince was no Steve, Vince hasn't even taken a snap in the NFL. I am also not going to put a limit on Vince at this time. Who am I to tell him what he can and can't do. He has his supporters, I am not sold on him but he is one of the most all around talented QBs in the draft.

"whackthepack" wrote:

Steve Young only scrambled when he had no open receivers, and could not dump off. That is different than Vince Young who worked out of the shotgun 90% of the time so he was able to scramble or run, and not stay in the pocket by design.
    Whack, VikingGuy43 seems to disagree with you.

"VikingGuy43" wrote:
    "Vikez4Lyfe" wrote:
    What does everyone have against Young?

He wouldn't come in and start this year.. He would have a year or 2 to develop and work on his nacks..

Personally I would be thrilled to have him.. Add another playmaker on the O side of the ball

He can scramble.. He has a huge frame and is tall.. Can throw a nice ball and when he mechanics gets worked on he will be even better..
    Exactly... THe NFL QB position is all about intangibles and Vince has got them all. How many times during that highlight real tape did you see that guy keep a play alive with his legs and then deliver a pass downfield for a big gain. Remind you guys of anyone? Certainly not Michael Vick... I would say more like Ben Roethlisberger. Obviously Big Ben doesn't scramble the way Vince does but his entire rookie season and also at points this year he kept plays alive outside of the pocket and waited for his receivers to get open down field. When they did he delivered the ball for big gains. Vince Young is a throw first run if it is open sort of guy. I'm not saying he is the next Ben Roethlisberger I am just saying he is a playmaker and that is what you want at QB on Sundays. He is amazingly talented even though his delivery might not be the pretiest thing you have ever seen. THe Vikes would be immensley fortunate to get him on draft day. He is well worth the risk that he comes with but unfortunatly for us all we will never get to see him in Purple because he will be long gone before we ever get to pick!

I guess that he doesn't understand (like you Snow) that there are different types of offenses in the NFL, and that all QBs don't fit every offense! I have stated that Vince Young is an outstanding QB, and if we were still running our old offense that he would be a perfect fit (best replacement for DC in this years draft) for our old offense! But since we have switched to a WCO he is not a good fit, unless you think we can tear apart how he plays and make him a pocket passer!

Maybe you guys are right and the Vikes will draft Young if he falls (never getting by Oakland), or maybe the Vikes will move ahead of Oakland and Tennessee and make sure they get him (highly doubtful)! But I am willing to take bets that the Vikings do not do either of these things to get him!

What QB's in the draft fit the WCO? My opinion is Cutler and Leinart, we will have to see what the Vikings think!

Why do you think that Oakland only signed Brooks to a 2 year deal, because they want to draft Young if they can get him.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

ShanePurpleBlood is offline Coordinator

I would love to have Young, but I think he would fit the Raiders offense better. Young is not a West Coast QB.

Another great sig by PPE!
    SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Vikings #1
    Raiders #2
    Hawkeyes #1
    Longhorns #2

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"snowinapril" wrote:
    "ultravikingfan" wrote:
    Sorry, but Steve Young was a passer that could run.

Vince is a runner that can pass.
    Shown improvement over three years. That is still a lot of running attempts anyway you look at it. McNair and McNabb made the transisition, even DC.

Year.............Passing.......................... ...............Rushing
    ..........Comp...Att.....Yards.....TDs....Int..... .Att......Yds....Avg...TD
    2003......84.....143....1,155.....6........7.......135.....998.....7.4....11
    Totals....444....718....6,040....44.......28...... 457....3,127..6.8.....37

Just gauging by his stats, I would say he looks like a guy that learns.

Rushing was similar all 3 years, he improved as a passer EVERY year. This year, he threw for 3,036 yards. That is 65% completion this year also.

The most valid argument seems to be making the transition from college to pros. Also, the fact that this is such a spike in his numbers, was it a fluke year or could he repeat it again. He basically pulled a George Costanza and left on a high note, riding a well improved season, and a Rose Bowl victory coupled with a National Championship. BIG BUCKS!!!!

I am just being the devils advocate here 'cause I think that it is unfair to stereotype a QB. Someone like Reggie McNeal might actually be a better passer than Vince, played in a running offense at Texas A&M and didn't have the supporting cast. He just didn't get to play on the same stage. The same goes for Cutler playing for Vandy. McNeal is deemed a WR or a 7th round pick at QB?????? McNeal might have been doing exactly as the coaches asked him to do.

Interesting note: It is amazing how a guy like DC gets labeled as a running QB and a guy like Young is a passing QB. Who was the guy that eclipsed Young's (.713) all time passing percentage in college. It was DC.

It is way too easy to stereotype someone for what ever reason. DC went out and almost got the NFL record for completion percentages in a season, without Randy Moss on the field at even 75% for over half of the games. Whoever comes in, has some huge shoes to fill. Opps how long did it take before I turned this into a DC thread??
    Heck, if Reggie McNeal can be had for that low of a draft choice, I say we pass on Vince and take McNeal with the lower pick. BOTH will sit for two years anyway....and McNeal is not only FASTER and throws a better ball, but he has a better attitude...plus he will probably be content being the third QB for the next two seasons before getting his chance...Vince will not be that patient!

This strategy also allows us to spend our higher picks on players that can help NOW...because if all things break right, we are only a couple of starters from having a pretty good team, a team that could easily go deep into the playoffs.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Opps how long did it take before I turned this into a DC thread??
    Lol. Actually someone already beat you to it:

"eclipse_2303" wrote:
    Why does everyone think Vince young is the next Mike Vick. There is a difference between the 2. Vince young is an extremely accurate passer. Daunte Culpepper like.
    And for the record it only took 3 hours and 56 minutes. But since it is brought up... I think Young's similarities to DC are staggaring. And that is all the more reason that we will most likely not pick him. I think Brad's offense will be more of a pocket passing offense. I think Young will fair better in an Atlanta like offense. That doesn't mean that Young is a dumb QB (don't get me started on the inaccuracies of the Wonderlic or any other IQ test), or that our offense is bad... it just means that they are not a good fit for each other.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Hmmm....you must be on crack to think that Vince will be available pick #17.

vikeswin2005 is offline Hall of Famer

no crap

sleepagent is offline Hall of Famer

"mystykoekaki" wrote:
    Hmmm....you must be on crack to think that Vince will be available pick #17.
    It appears that with all the activities during FA, he's already dropped to #13 according to the folks at FOXSPORTS. #17 doesn't seem too far off to me.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/5429730

"No Greater Friend . . . No Worse Enemy. U.S. MARINES"
    "FIND YOUR PASSION AND MAKE IT HAPPEN!"
    "SUCCESS LOOKS EASY TO THOSE THAT WEREN'T THERE WHEN IT WAS BEING ACHIEVED!"

viks_fan21 is offline Asst. Coach

Wow, I've always been down on VY but that was when he was a top 5 guy. If he drops to #17, we absolutely have to take him. Or, I can't believe I'm saying this, but we should consider a trade up to grab him. Wow, I feel dirty! I couldn't complain about us packaging #17 and one of the 3rd rounders for a trade up to about 13 or 14 and picking up the NCAA's best player (that's right Reggie, I said it).

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast