Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Don't Be Suprised If Locker is Vikings Man at 12

That makes one of us. To me he looks like the next coming of Rick Mirer.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093775
    Quote Originally Posted by "NDVikingFan66" #1093773
    I have ZERO desire for Cam Newtown. In his senior year he passed the ball 16 more times than he ran it. 280 vs 264

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/stats?playerId=232016

I do not want to take a QB that we have to train not to run, than train to pass.
    I feel about the same way I did about Vick coming out my friend and I watched him play high school ball here in our home town of Newport News.

I never thought I would see Mike suceed. In the end, he sure has matured alot of late. I'm kindof of a mind that Newton can mature along those same lines.

Problem is, its gonna take time and I don't think the Vikings has the fanbase to let that time go by.
    I dont disagree that he could be trained, but with the amount of money some of these kids will get, you really have to do your homework so you dont pull a Jamarcus Russell.

I also sometimes think that some of these later round draft choices feel they have something to prove, as approved to being a "blue chipper".

Vick is succeeding, and you could argue was successful, but it took some prison time to put his head in the right place.

Brewtal is offline Starter

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093805
    That makes one of us. To me he looks like the next coming of Rick Mirer.
    Agree, I don't see him going at 12. I'll be really supprised if Viking are willing to take that much risk on Locker. If Viking pick best player available there is no way Locker goes here.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Latest rumours going on Washington wanting to trade up for Blaine Gabbert, which would indicate that they don't want Jake Locker..

This was from the Houston Chronicles John McClain..

They would likely pull a trade with the Bengals who could grab Jones at 10.. This would also free up the concensious pick in AJ Green to Cinci..

Can't wait for draft day..

http://blogs.chron.com/nfl/2011/04/were_heading_down_home_stretch.html

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Ponder, Mallett and Stanzi are the only 3 I want in the draft.

If we stay WCO then Ponder or Stanzi would be the picks. If we go to a more Falcon/Steelers type offense( Which I really want us to)then Mallett or Stanzi.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I'm not a huge fan of all the Brett Favre comparisons...personally, I'd prefer a lot less turnovers! inch: D'oh!

And, last year's record and the lower completion percentage are definitely concerns, but between his time with Gruden and this video, I think I may have just changed my mind on how early this guy should/could go:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=6362278

Coach calls him "the toughest QB in America." Nice Trait to have! Specailly since you know any QB playing behind our line is going to get hit! And, you've got to look at the team around him too...doesn't sound like he had great blocking or receiving to help him out!? How much will that effect your completion rate!?!

The way I see it, you put the top QBs on paper with their plusses and minuses all listed along with notes from tapes, scouting, interviews etc. Then, you go through the positives and negatives and look at what you can teach, ie what is correctable with coaching, and what needs to be there already. Things like footwork on drop backs can be fixed with repetition as long as they're taught the correct technique and they're willing to do the work. Throwing motion can be more difficult to change since the guy has likely been throwing that way since 8th grade, but doable if its not too far off.

To some extent, the athleticism is there, or we wouldn't even be talking about these guys in the first 2 rounds. So, you'd want to be careful about how much emphasis you put on that. Things like leadership, character, intelligence and work ethic become much more important, because they'll effect his long term development more.

I'm also starting to think the Clausen comparison is unfair. Clausen had some pretty good names on that ND team (Golden Tate, Kyle Rudolf). And, if I recall correctly, more of a pouty, I don't like to be criticized look, while Locker seemed to take Gruden's comments seriously, yet open minded enough to have a discussion with a smile on his face.

I guess, I'm ok with Locker or Mallet at 12, but think they're a lil more mid-rounders, with Ponder, Kap, and Dalton not all that far behind, more late first/early second values.

But reading between some of the other lines we've heard recently (go listen to Spielman on PFT!), I wonder if they might not just be fanning the fire for more smoke. Its obvious we need QB, but its not our only need, and we could get one of those "blue-chippers" at 12 AND a QB later by giving up a future pick and/or a bunch of our later ones...maybe we just need to move our 2nd up a lil with a team that goes QB early but still has lots of other needs (BUF, CIN, ARI, DEN?). Or, dropping back just a lil and going next best left.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093768
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093765
    I seem to flip flop daily on this QB debate. It's a tough choice.
    I have pretty much made up my mind that as long as they get one of the top 8 out of the top 10 with either 12 or 43 and I will be happy especially if they use the other pick for a DT.

All seem to fit what the Vikes are trying to accomplish scheme wise with one exception.

Thats Mallet. Only thing I dont' like about him is his slow feet and how that seems to affect his play making abilities late in the game when he needs to make plays under a all out rush.

Having said that, I would not be overly upset with Mallet at 12.

On a side note.....I also have looked at the following that might be brought in as UDFA's.

Adam Weber
    Ben Chappell
    T.J. Yates
    Tthought I read there will be no UDFA's this year without a CBA.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler

I'd definitely be excited about Locker. I really think this is the year to draft a QB, especially with the possibility of Locker and Mallet going so late. As long as we don't end up with Newton or Gabbert I'll be happy.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1093824
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093768
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1093765
    I seem to flip flop daily on this QB debate. It's a tough choice.
    I have pretty much made up my mind that as long as they get one of the top 8 out of the top 10 with either 12 or 43 and I will be happy especially if they use the other pick for a DT.

All seem to fit what the Vikes are trying to accomplish scheme wise with one exception.

Thats Mallet. Only thing I dont' like about him is his slow feet and how that seems to affect his play making abilities late in the game when he needs to make plays under a all out rush.

Having said that, I would not be overly upset with Mallet at 12.

On a side note.....I also have looked at the following that might be brought in as UDFA's.

Adam Weber
    Ben Chappell
    T.J. Yates
    Tthought I read there will be no UDFA's this year without a CBA.
    Yeah I read yesterday Jerry Glanville, now coaching in the UFL, is all pumped to be sitting on some UDFA's doorstep because the NFL teams can't talk to them.

If anyone could potentially win from the lockout its the UFL.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "mountainviking" #1093823
    ...maybe we just need to move our 2nd up a lil with a team that goes QB early but still has lots of other needs (BUF, CIN, ARI, DEN?).
    Now thats one intriguing scenario that I haven't thought of, nor have I heard it mentioned by anyone else.

(Marrdro can be seen pulling up his 7 round mock and looking at the possibilities):lol:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast