Re: Don't Be Suprised If Locker is Vikings Man at 12

My top 6.

Stanzi
    Mallett
    Ponder
    Newton
    Gabbert
    Locker.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093576
    My top 6.

Stanzi
    Mallett
    Ponder
    Newton
    Gabbert
    Locker.
    I like how you scout. You have the 8th ranked QB at the top of your rankings. :laugh:

JK my friend. Is that how you have them as fits for the Vikes and our scheme?

From CDS
    Strengths
    Possesses excellent size for an NFL QB. Tough player who will sacrifice his body to make the play. Excellent leader with valuable experience in a top conference. Plays in a pro-style offense and takes snaps under center and in shotgun. Possesses adequate athleticism and is able to move around the pocket and keep his eyes downfield on the move. Will work through his progressions if his first option isn't available. As a passer, possesses good arm strength and excellent touch. Throws a very catchable deep ball and has nice placement on those throws. Has good throwing mechanics from the waist up, with an over-the-top delivery that really limits knockdowns at the LOS. Appears to be one of the more NFL-ready QBs in this year's crop.
    Weaknesses
    Stanzi has decent arm strength, but he often negates that with terrible footwork and lower-body mechanics. Throws off balance or flat-footed too often, causing erratic throws. Really needs to be able to step into his throws to maintain consistent accuracy. He doesn't have great pocket presence. Often, he holds the ball too long and takes unnecessary hits as a result. Doesn't always appear to trust his reads and hesitates to let the ball go in time. Other times he reacts too quickly to the pass rush, not trusting his blockers, and gets jittery and forces a throw. Needs to really develop a consistent feel in the pocket.
    Projection
    Ricky Stanzi has his share of flaws and looks more like 15-year journeyman NFL QB than a bonafide starting QB prospect, but he's done enough to encourage a team (who is convinced that he can be coached up some more) to take him anywhere from the late 2nd to late 4th rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft.
    I saw him in action once, late last year. Really a hard kid to watch play, atleast during that game. Almost did a couple of jump ball throws like everyone hates.

Anyway, his footwork appears to be the only issue that I have with him but don't see him as high as you see him.

Quick question, is he from your favorite college or something?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093618
    My top 6.

Stanzi
    Mallett
    Ponder
    Newton
    Gabbert
    Locker.
    I like how you scout. You have the 8th ranked QB at the top of your rankings. :laugh:

From CDS
    Strengths
    Possesses excellent size for an NFL QB. Tough player who will sacrifice his body to make the play. Excellent leader with valuable experience in a top conference. Plays in a pro-style offense and takes snaps under center and in shotgun. Possesses adequate athleticism and is able to move around the pocket and keep his eyes downfield on the move. Will work through his progressions if his first option isn't available. As a passer, possesses good arm strength and excellent touch. Throws a very catchable deep ball and has nice placement on those throws. Has good throwing mechanics from the waist up, with an over-the-top delivery that really limits knockdowns at the LOS. Appears to be one of the more NFL-ready QBs in this year's crop.
    Weaknesses
    Stanzi has decent arm strength, but he often negates that with terrible footwork and lower-body mechanics. Throws off balance or flat-footed too often, causing erratic throws. Really needs to be able to step into his throws to maintain consistent accuracy. He doesn't have great pocket presence. Often, he holds the ball too long and takes unnecessary hits as a result. Doesn't always appear to trust his reads and hesitates to let the ball go in time. Other times he reacts too quickly to the pass rush, not trusting his blockers, and gets jittery and forces a throw. Needs to really develop a consistent feel in the pocket.
    Projection
    Ricky Stanzi has his share of flaws and looks more like 15-year journeyman NFL QB than a bonafide starting QB prospect, but he's done enough to encourage a team (who is convinced that he can be coached up some more) to take him anywhere from the late 2nd to late 4th rounds of the 2011 NFL Draft.
    I saw him in action once, late last year. Really a hard kid to watch play, atleast during that game. Almost did a couple of jump ball throws like everyone hates.

Anyway, his footwork appears to be the only issue that I have with him but don't see him as high as you see him.

Actually no.

I did something a bit different this year. Instead of listening to the talking heads tell me who was the best player I looked at every video of every player in the top of the draft and actually watched them play. I watched them in the huddle interacting with team mates and I watched them play in their offense to see how close what they were doing translated to what they will be asked to do in the nfl, how the ball came off their arm and how they moved around in the pocket.

I know my method might be somewhat controversial because it doesn't consider some talking head slobbering all over his knob but I figure if I am going to be wrong and go down in flames that I want it to be because I suck at evaluating and not because of who I listened to.

BTW.

In regards to the footwork, you might be interested in going back and watching the tape on Ponder, Locker, Gabbert and Newton because all of them have some very interesting footwork and I noted each of them executing a trademark TJ jump pass.

BTW. Since it is generally brought up in other comparisons, how much of a foll was the guy who wanted Brady because he was about the 15th rated QB in his draft?
    :laugh:

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1093628
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093618
    My top 6.

Stanzi
    Mallett
    Ponder
    Newton
    Gabbert
    Locker.

From CDS
    Strengths
    Weaknesses
    Projection

Actually no.

I did something a bit different this year. Instead of listening to the talking heads tell me who was the best player I looked at every video of every player in the top of the draft and actually watched them play. I watched them in the huddle interacting with team mates and I watched them play in their offense to see how close what they were doing translated to what they will be asked to do in the nfl, how the ball came off their arm and how they moved around in the pocket.

I know my method might be somewhat controversial because it doesn't consider some talking head slobbering all over his knob but I figure if I am going to be wrong and go down in flames that I want it to be because I suck at evaluating and not because of who I listened to.
    Its not a novel concept. I just don't have time (or the sports package) to watch all of the collegiate QBs that might be coming out. I gotta rely on other sources for my scouting info.

BTW.

In regards to the footwork, you might be interested in going back and watching the tape on Ponder, Locker, Gabbert and Newton because all of them have some very interesting footwork and I noted each of them executing a trademark TJ jump pass.
    All of them do need work on their base, especially the ones who have never been under Center. Thats one of the things I like about Stanzi but to have him ranked above a Gabbert?

Strengths
    Big and athletic with ideal NFL measurables. Tall and strong with a big arm and a high release point. Can make all the throws. Deadly accurate on short and medium passes. Gets the ball out quickly and on time. Delivers the ball into tight windows. Throws a catchable pass. Tough and will stand in versus pressure and take a hit. Good runner with deceptive speed, and can pick up first downs with his legs. Natural leader with a commanding presence. Winner who makes those around him better.
    Weaknesses
    Plays from a the spread so he'll need time to adapt to NFL style offense. Not used to taking snaps from under center nor is he schooled on the footwork required on five and seven step drops. Most passes were of the short/medium variety; not polished on the deep ball. Only a junior and only started for two seasons.
    Projection
    Likely the first quarterback chosen and a top-ten, potential number one pick. Has all the tools to be great; up to him how good he becomes.
    I have watched him play as well. Even more than Stanzi. Seems to be everything you said Stanzi was.

BTW, I put that in there cause I never understood why everyone hacked on TJ for jump passes. All QB's do it, even the Noodle.

BTW. Since it is generally brought up in other comparisons, how much of a foll was the guy who wanted Brady because he was about the 15th rated QB in his draft?
    :laugh:
    Well played.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

I wouldn't be too disappointed with Locker but i feel we could get him in the late 1st round or even 2nd round so i expect us to trade picks... at 12 i think he is a reach.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093461
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1093417
    More and more this is the direction I hope we go here.

I just stated in another thread, if the front office thinks this is THEIR GUY ... then they have to take him here. No choice.
    I think I would be pretty happy with one of 4 at 12, in this order....

1. Gabbert
    2. Newton
    3. Locker
    4. Mallet

at 43, even though I don't think any of them are gonna be there, I would be happy with the other "Projected" franchise guys....

1. Kaep
    2. Stanzi
    3. Ponder
    4. Dalton

If we land one of the top 4, I want him to start. As much as I hate to see Rookies on the field, let alone under C, I think all 4 need one year of reps to accelerate that maturation process.

If we go with someone at 43, I still wouldn't be to upset to see them under center but I hope they bring in someone other than Bomar and not so he can teach the rook. Someone that can run the offense. Guys I hope they are looking at as hard as they are the rooks.....

1. Matt Moore. I think the jury is out on this kid. My guess, you get him on a team were the owner hasn't gutted the roster and the coaching staff and you might get some more production out of him.

2. Alex Smith. Honestly, I'm not so sure the 49rs are done with him, but I think he, along with Moore could be better under a coaching staff that doesn't change every other year.

3. Marc Bulger. Now I'm getting into the old, bandaid guys that will only get you a year or two. Fits the scheme. Has been both a start and a backup with no issues. Just not sure what he has left.

4. Bruce Gradkowski. This guy is alot like TJ. Up one day, down the next. If push comes to shove and they are looking at him, I would rather see them bring TJ back.

If we are going to trade for a guy, I hope they only trade for Kolb. Most because I believe he is a long term solution that would transition to the scheme with very little change from what he did at the Iggles.

That, my friends, is going to be a big issue this year what with the shortened times they will have to get the teams ready.

In short, in priority order......

1. Kolb
    2. Gabbert
    3. Newton
    4. Locker
    5. Mallet
    6. Matt Moore
    7. Alex Smith
    Everyone else, really doesn't matter wha order.
    I haven't compiled my final mock draft yet, so im not really sure but i think that it will go something like this

1st Newton
    5th Gabbert
    10th Locker(maybe)
    12th Mallett(for us - fingers crossed)
    22nd Dalton(hot rumours of Dalton going to Indy)

Newton seems to be the concensious first overall pick, Ron Rivera is his biggest fan and there is no need for smokescreens if you are picking first.

Ive got a gut feeling that someone will leap Arizona to get Gabbert, because he is 100% going there if he is availible at 5.

Redskins seems hot on Locker, if they pass, 12th us, 15th Miami 22nd Indy or 25th Seahawks is his landing spot

Malletts high ceiling is with us.. He could go 15th to Miami from what im hearing.. But i don't think they are done with their shifty style of offense and neither with Chad Henne

The Dalton rumours came up about a week ago and seemed legit so right now im buying it..

The Seahawks could be the odd team out in this QB caroussel but look for them to trade up in order to get their get - maybe the get Stanzi if they stay at 25th..

Regarding Smith and the 49ers, the Sacremento Bee reports that he has an offer on the table, obviously he can't sign anything because if the lockout Link

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1093655
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093461
    Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1093417
    More and more this is the direction I hope we go here.

I just stated in another thread, if the front office thinks this is THEIR GUY ... then they have to take him here. No choice.
    I think I would be pretty happy with one of 4 at 12, in this order....

1. Gabbert
    2. Newton
    3. Locker
    4. Mallet

at 43, even though I don't think any of them are gonna be there, I would be happy with the other "Projected" franchise guys....

1. Kaep
    2. Stanzi
    3. Ponder
    4. Dalton

If we land one of the top 4, I want him to start. As much as I hate to see Rookies on the field, let alone under C, I think all 4 need one year of reps to accelerate that maturation process.

If we go with someone at 43, I still wouldn't be to upset to see them under center but I hope they bring in someone other than Bomar and not so he can teach the rook. Someone that can run the offense. Guys I hope they are looking at as hard as they are the rooks.....

1. Matt Moore. I think the jury is out on this kid. My guess, you get him on a team were the owner hasn't gutted the roster and the coaching staff and you might get some more production out of him.

2. Alex Smith. Honestly, I'm not so sure the 49rs are done with him, but I think he, along with Moore could be better under a coaching staff that doesn't change every other year.

3. Marc Bulger. Now I'm getting into the old, bandaid guys that will only get you a year or two. Fits the scheme. Has been both a start and a backup with no issues. Just not sure what he has left.

4. Bruce Gradkowski. This guy is alot like TJ. Up one day, down the next. If push comes to shove and they are looking at him, I would rather see them bring TJ back.

If we are going to trade for a guy, I hope they only trade for Kolb. Most because I believe he is a long term solution that would transition to the scheme with very little change from what he did at the Iggles.

That, my friends, is going to be a big issue this year what with the shortened times they will have to get the teams ready.

In short, in priority order......

1. Kolb
    2. Gabbert
    3. Newton
    4. Locker
    5. Mallet
    6. Matt Moore
    7. Alex Smith
    Everyone else, really doesn't matter wha order.
    I haven't compiled my final mock draft yet, so im not really sure but i think that it will go something like this

1st Newton
    5th Gabbert
    10th Locker(maybe)
    12th Mallett(for us - fingers crossed)
    22nd Dalton(hot rumours of Dalton going to Indy)

Newton seems to be the concensious first overall pick, Ron Rivera is his biggest fan and there is no need for smokescreens if you are picking first.

Ive got a gut feeling that someone will leap Arizona to get Gabbert, because he is 100% going there if he is availible at 5.

Redskins seems hot on Locker, if they pass, 12th us, 15th Miami 22nd Indy or 25th Seahawks is his landing spot

Malletts high ceiling is with us.. He could go 15th to Miami from what im hearing.. But i don't think they are done with their shifty style of offense and neither with Chad Henne

The Dalton rumours came up about a week ago and seemed legit so right now im buying it..

The Seahawks could be the odd team out in this QB caroussel but look for them to trade up in order to get their get - maybe the get Stanzi if they stay at 25th..

Regarding Smith and the 49ers, the Sacremento Bee reports that he has an offer on the table, obviously he can't sign anything because if the lockout Link
    Sounds like your tracking all the same rumors I am then on the QB's.

I believe, however, that Miami is really interested in Locker at 15 though, just as Seattle is at 25.

Wasnt tracking the contract and Smith rumor but I do believe they want him back based on some other discussions I've heard/read.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

why would I be surprised? I called us going for a QB in the 1st before the season was even done.

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1093698
    why would I be surprised? I called us going for a QB in the 1st before the season was even done.
    LOL, way to step out on a limb my friend. :P

Looks like Locker and Mallet might both be there at 12. Which one do you like?

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1093748
    Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1093698
    LOL, way to step out on a limb my friend. :P

Looks like Locker and Mallet might both be there at 12. Which one do you like?
    I would think about taking locker out of there and putting Ponder in his place.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast