Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41
  1. #1
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    [size=13pt]Don't expect the Minnesota Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free-agent acquisitions.[/size]

    The Vikings appear to be locked in on quarterback Sage Rosenfels, but don't expect them to spend like it's 2008 on any other free-agent acquisitions.

    By Sean Jensen
    [email protected]


    Updated: 02/25/2009 11:36:13 PM CST


    With free agency opening tonight, the Vikings are not expected to repeat last season's splurge for available talent, when they guaranteed $60 million to defensive end Jared Allen, receiver Bernard Berrian and safety Madieu Williams....

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  2. #2
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    [size=13pt]Vikings' shopping limited by talent[/size]

    Last season's free-agency crop was deep, and so were the team's pockets. There's still money to spend but fewer top-end players.

    By JUDD ZULGAD, Star Tribune

    Last update: February 26, 2009 - 12:53 AM


    The Vikings almost certainly won't replicate the spending spree they went on in the opening weekend of free agency a year ago....

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  3. #3
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    I would be amazed if they did.
    The GM went wild last offseason and I think the Vikings had the best offseason (not including the draft) than any other team in the NFL.

  4. #4
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,266

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    "HEY" wrote:
    I would be amazed if they did.
    The GM went wild last offseason and I think the Vikings had the best offseason (not including the draft) than any other team in the NFL.

    ???

    When did we get a GM?

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  5. #5
    HEY's Avatar
    HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    2,201
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    "singersp" wrote:
    "HEY" wrote:
    I would be amazed if they did.
    The GM went wild last offseason and I think the Vikings had the best offseason (not including the draft) than any other team in the NFL.

    ???

    When did we get a GM?
    I ment Ziggy

  6. #6
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    ...Pat Williams turns 37 during the season...
    Phat Pat is running on fumes.
    This will be addressed.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  7. #7
    V-Unit's Avatar
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    6,317

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...Pat Williams turns 37 during the season...
    Phat Pat is running on fumes.
    This will be addressed.
    What makes you think that? He surely doesn't play like he's 37. It would be prime time to bring in a replacement, but I think Pat will see the end of his contract while starting.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet


    Thanks Josdin!

  8. #8
    Prophet's Avatar
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    17,388

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    "V" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...Pat Williams turns 37 during the season...
    Phat Pat is running on fumes.
    This will be addressed.
    What makes you think that? He surely doesn't play like he's 37. It would be prime time to bring in a replacement, but I think Pat will see the end of his contract while starting.
    I'm just stating the obvious, a good NT is tough to come by and he is long in the tooth.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-round pick go in that direction.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

  9. #9
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,928

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    "Prophet" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...Pat Williams turns 37 during the season...
    Phat Pat is running on fumes.
    This will be addressed.
    What makes you think that? He surely doesn't play like he's 37. It would be prime time to bring in a replacement, but I think Pat will see the end of his contract while starting.
    I'm just stating the obvious, a good NT is tough to come by and he is long in the tooth.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-round pick go in that direction.
    Been harping on this quite a bit.
    I see only 2 guys in the mix (draft) this year that are pocket collapsers/run stuffers like Phat Pat. Peria and Raji.

    My guess is that both could be gone long before we pick.
    If, however one of those cats fall to us at 22, it would be sweet to snatch him up. Together with Guion, that would be a set of nice rotation guys until they are required to replace Phat Pat and Kevin and then (Guion is damn young) they would wreak havock for years to come.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #10
    thepacksux's Avatar
    thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    580

    Re: Don't expect the Vikings to spend like it's 2008 on free agents

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    ...Pat Williams turns 37 during the season...
    Phat Pat is running on fumes.
    This will be addressed.
    What makes you think that? He surely doesn't play like he's 37. It would be prime time to bring in a replacement, but I think Pat will see the end of his contract while starting.
    I'm just stating the obvious, a good NT is tough to come by and he is long in the tooth.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see a mid-round pick go in that direction.
    Been harping on this quite a bit.
    I see only 2 guys in the mix (draft) this year that are pocket collapsers/run stuffers like Phat Pat. Peria and Raji.

    My guess is that both could be gone long before we pick.
    If, however one of those cats fall to us at 22, it would be sweet to snatch him up. Together with Guion, that would be a set of nice rotation guys until they are required to replace Phat Pat and Kevin and then (Guion is gol 'darnit young) they would wreak havock for years to come.
    I agree, but i think both of those players are more a three technique and not
    run-stuffing NT's.
    Unless they would be able to put on 15-20 lbs and maintain their quickness.


    Hell, lets just sign Haynesworth and play a 5-2 until big Pat retires

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Vikings Free Agents In 2011
    By HEY in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2010, 07:12 PM
  2. 2008 Remaining Unrestricted Free Agents (2 April)
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 07:37 AM
  3. Let's Look Ahead To 2008 - MN Free Agents
    By COJOMAY in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 01-22-2008, 07:37 AM
  4. MOVED: Let's Look Ahead To 2008 - MN Free Agents
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-17-2008, 06:27 PM
  5. 2008 Free Agents Rankings of mine, hopefully this helps you guys:
    By JUCJ85 in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-05-2008, 09:49 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •