Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

Ponder will start on day one. If they bring in a vet it will just be a guy to hold a clipboard and I really don't see that happening.

We have Bomar, Webb and Ponder on the roster with no room for a 4th and we certainly aren't putting Ponder on the practice squad so who are they going to cut?

Ponder has the smarts to start on day 1 and he already knows how to line up under center and many of the plays we will be running so I see no reason why he isn't put out there right away.

delviking is offline Starter

most likely if they bring in a FA vet it'll be Bomar going on practice squad. or they move Webb back to WR which id prefer because hes to athlectic to sit on the bench or hold a clip board.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Cut Bomah. He doesn't count as a QB anyway.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095794
    Ponder will start on day one. If they bring in a vet it will just be a guy to hold a clipboard and I really don't see that happening.

We have Bomar, Webb and Ponder on the roster with no room for a 4th and we certainly aren't putting Ponder on the practice squad so who are they going to cut?

Ponder has the smarts to start on day 1 and he already knows how to line up under center and many of the plays we will be running so I see no reason why he isn't put out there right away.
    They may or may not put them out there right away, but I don't think they'll make that decision until TC.

I highly doubt they bank on him starting at this point in the offseason & let FA pass without signing a vet in FA.

If they wait until TC & discover Ponder isn't ready, I don't think they'd look at Webb or Bomar to start & by that time all that will be left of FA QB's is toaster leavings.

I doubt they'd pass up on a vet FA QB. They need that veteran presence in their line-up for both Webb & Ponder to draw from. Bomar certainly isn't "that guy".

I don't expect them to make a trade for Kolb or McNabb at all. I think they'll grab a veteran FA QB out of the middle of the QB pool that can start for the Vikings if need be. One that's started for several years on another team & not some FA perennial backup QB

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1095803

They may or may not put them out there right away, but I don't think they'll make that decision until TC.

I highly doubt they bank on him starting at this point in the offseason & let FA pass without signing a vet in FA.

If they wait until TC & discover Ponder isn't ready, I don't think they'd look at Webb or Bomar to start & by that time all that will be left of FA QB's is toaster leavings.

I doubt they'd pass up on a vet FA QB. They need that veteran presence in their line-up for both Webb & Ponder to draw from. Bomar certainly isn't "that guy".

I don't expect them to make a trade for Kolb or McNabb at all. I think they'll grab a veteran FA QB out of the middle of the QB pool that can start for the Vikings if need be. One that's started for several years on another team & not some FA perennial backup QB
    Someone else I've started thinking about as being potential fit could be Matt Hasselbeck, Hasselbeck says he's done in Seattle since they didn't get him resigned. I think he's a better student/study of the game than McNabb but probably not a better athlete than McNabb but I also wonder where Donovan really is at this point of his career as well. A couple of thing that are starting to concern me with McNabb are two tenured coaches have moved away from him and on a lesser note I'm not overly high on his level of focus at times. 2 small items with McNabb's focus are how he acted in the overtime tie and also when the Eagles faced the Cowboys in Dallas a couple of years ago as the Eagles left the dressing room and had to pass by the Dallas fans Donovan spent a few moments dancing and taunting Cowboy fans. While this wasn't something major it was a bit childish for a vet of his calibre about to face a rival in the playoffs.....just thought it lack some focus. That's where Hasselbeck might be a better mentor/tutor.

But in either case it might be hard to have one of these guys come here on a 2 year deal knowing the team doesn't have a longer term commitment in their future (more money usually solves that )

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "vikinggreg" #1095816
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1095803

Someone else I've started thinking about as being potential fit could be Matt Hasselbeck, Hasselbeck says he's done in Seattle since they didn't get him resigned. I think he's a better student/study of the game than McNabb but probably not a better athlete than McNabb but I also wonder where Donovan really is at this point of his career as well. A couple of thing that are starting to concern me with McNabb are two tenured coaches have moved away from him and on a lesser note I'm not overly high on his level of focus at times. 2 small items with McNabb's focus are how he acted in the overtime tie and also when the Eagles faced the Cowboys in Dallas a couple of years ago as the Eagles left the dressing room and had to pass by the Dallas fans Donovan spent a few moments dancing and taunting Cowboy fans. While this wasn't something major it was a bit childish for a vet of his calibre about to face a rival in the playoffs.....just thought it lack some focus. That's where Hasselbeck might be a better mentor/tutor.

But in either case it might be hard to have one of these guys come here on a 2 year deal knowing the team doesn't have a longer term commitment in their future (more money usually solves that )
    Not to mention, Hasselbeck etal is a FA, while McNabb is not. That means unless Washington cuts him, the Vikings would have to make a trade to get him, be it a player or more likely draft pick(s).

I don't see the Vikings throwing away future draft picks on a QB they'd use for a year or two with Ponder in the wings. That is why I feel it is even more unlikely they'd go for Kolb. They'd demand much more compensation for him & simply not worth it if the Vikings plan on starting Ponder anytime soon.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

HEY
    HEY is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I like McNabb as a player. He's fun to watch, but I'd like Carson Palmer even more. Not necessary because he has had a better career (because he hasn't), but because McNabb is 34 years old and seems to be close to retirement while Palmer is 31 and could be starting for many years.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095793
    Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1095497
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095363
    With Ponder, will Vikings change QB strategy in free agency?

IMHO, you don't go hang your ass out to dry by grabbing arguably the most "Football" ready QB out of this class and not start him cause you have a vet available, especially one that has been let loose by two teams in a year.

Even if they bring in a Dnabb, my guess, he won't start, and if he does, it won't be long.

This staff has made a statement. Ponder is the "Franchise QB" they wanted. Lets get the process started by running him out there instead of hiding him on the bench behind a guy like Dnabb.
    Musgrave expects veteran QB addition

"I think that balances out a position, not just quarterback, but to have some young, developmental talent and also have some veterans -- because players not only learn from coaches, they also learn from their fellow players," Musgrave said.
    BTW I think McNabb is headed to Arizona.
    Bulger is headed to Arizona. Mark it down.
    I heard the same thing thru espn radio.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "HEY" #1095819
    I like McNabb as a player. He's fun to watch, but I'd like Carson Palmer even more. Not necessary because he has had a better career (because he hasn't), but because McNabb is 34 years old and seems to be close to retirement while Palmer is 31 and could be starting for many years.
    Palmer isn't going to be an option.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Sage

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast