Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 170
  1. #61
    Mr Anderson's Avatar
    Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    7,692

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    I'd rather have Palmer if it's gonna be a short term thing.

  2. #62
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095351
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095346
    Even with Ponder in mix, Vikes appear destined to add McNabb

    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f92334/article/even-with-ponder-in-mix-vikes-appear-destined-to-add-mcnabb?module=HP_headlines


    Hope this happens.
    Why? Aren't you the one thats been asking for a QB to be taken that early cause they then equate to a better possibility of success?
    Nope, I'm the one asking for a QB to be taken early AND a veteran to start (remember, the whole vet helping the rook 'discussion'?)


    Why not let the 12th pick in the draft start?
    [/quote]

    Because I don't think Ponder is good enough. I don't see him as a guy like Manning who can come in day one, power through his struggles and start an elite career.

    I think he needs to sit, learn from watching DNabb and practicing with the team for at least half a year, if not the full thing assuming DNabb plays well. Then next year, he's ready to start.

    It's a good way to do it. Pack did it with Rodgers, Chargers did it with Rivers, Giants did it with Manning.

  3. #63
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1095353
    I'd rather have Palmer if it's gonna be a short term thing.
    I don't know that that will be an option. Will the Bengals trade Palmer? They won't cut him.

  4. #64
    mountainviking's Avatar
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,841

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1094440
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1094430
    yeah. I mean I think Kolb is at the height of his value. Never buy high...
    +1
    Kolb with the Vikings will have concussion issues. I'm pretty sure McNabb will be our starting QB next year, if not, I would much rather go with Orton than Kolb.

    Orton took the Bears to the superbowl and they decided to start Rex Grossman instead.

    Hester gave Grossman a one touchdown lead with a 92 yd kickoff return for a touchdown.
    Before Grossman got off the bench the Bears defense took the ball away from the Colts with an interception.

    Horrible start for the Colts. Their fans had to be thinking, here we go again.

    But not to worry. Rex grossman went three and out and things never improved from there.
    Grossman pretty much single handedly lost that game for the Bears. I'm pretty certain the guy that made that decision for the Bears thought Grossman had more upside potential than Orton.

    Orton probably would have won it. He can read defenses and doesn't make a lot of mistakes.

    If we are going to take a young QB we need McNabb, Orton, or Young.

    If we are going to get Kolb, we wont be taking any of the name QB's in this draft.
    Couldn't agree more! With our running game and defense what we least need is turnovers and Kolb has been averaging about 2.5 TOs per game started! Orton isn't flashy, but doesn't make many mistakes, and was at one point last season leading the league in passing yards!

    But, I think Orton is the starter for the Broncos, and that Tebow is going to be a bit more of a gimmick guy. We still need a vet, and I wouldn't be too disappointed with McNabb...specially if he doesn't cost us an arm and a leg. Doesn't look like the Skins are going to pay him, and his record last year has also dropped the the asking price. Somebody mentioned adding Haynesworth to the deal and I think that might actually be a good idea...offer them our 4th to take their problem childs off of their hands!?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

    "Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

  5. #65
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    With Ponder, will Vikings change QB strategy in free agency?


    IMHO, you don't go hang your ass out to dry by grabbing arguably the most "Football" ready QB out of this class and not start him cause you have a vet available, especially one that has been let loose by two teams in a year.

    Even if they bring in a Dnabb, my guess, he won't start, and if he does, it won't be long.

    This staff has made a statement. Ponder is the "Franchise QB" they wanted. Lets get the process started by running him out there instead of hiding him on the bench behind a guy like Dnabb.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  6. #66
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095363

    This staff has made a statement. Ponder is the "Franchise QB" they wanted. Lets get the process started by running him out there instead of hiding him on the bench behind a guy like Dnabb.
    I'd be curious to see what strategy seems to be the most popular when it comes to successful franchise QB's.

    Looking at some of the top QB's in the league.


    Elite QB's
    Manning - started day 1
    Brady - sat for a year+
    Rivers - Sat for two years
    Rodgers - sat for two years

    second tier QB's
    Schaub - sat for 2 or 3 years
    Romo - sat for 3 years
    Roethlisberger - Started day 2
    Ryan - Started day 1
    Flacco - started day 1
    Cutler - Sat for most of year 1
    Brees - Sat for year 1


    Seems to me, sometimes you can throw your QB out there and he'll succeed, but most teams with great QB's on the roster seem to want to let him sit and learn rather than rough it for a year. I'd tend to agree with that. I want to see Ponder sit on the bench for the year as long as we have a Vet who can start.

  7. #67
    marstc09's Avatar
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Phoenix, Arizona
    Posts
    23,180

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095363
    With Ponder, will Vikings change QB strategy in free agency?


    IMHO, you don't go hang your ass out to dry by grabbing arguably the most "Football" ready QB out of this class and not start him cause you have a vet available, especially one that has been let loose by two teams in a year.

    Even if they bring in a Dnabb, my guess, he won't start, and if he does, it won't be long.

    This staff has made a statement. Ponder is the "Franchise QB" they wanted. Lets get the process started by running him out there instead of hiding him on the bench behind a guy like Dnabb.
    Musgrave expects veteran QB addition

    "I think that balances out a position, not just quarterback, but to have some young, developmental talent and also have some veterans -- because players not only learn from coaches, they also learn from their fellow players," Musgrave said.
    BTW I think McNabb is headed to Arizona.

  8. #68
    i_bleed_purple's Avatar
    i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Canadialand
    Posts
    16,778
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Probably will depend if he's traded or is cut from the 'skins.

    I bet McNabb wants a contender, and while the Vikings aren't exactly superbowl ready, they're still a far better situation than Arizona.

  9. #69
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,935

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1095369
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095363

    This staff has made a statement. Ponder is the "Franchise QB" they wanted. Lets get the process started by running him out there instead of hiding him on the bench behind a guy like Dnabb.
    I'd be curious to see what strategy seems to be the most popular when it comes to successful franchise QB's.

    Looking at some of the top QB's in the league.


    Elite QB's
    Manning - started day 1
    Brady - sat for a year+
    Rivers - Sat for two years
    Rodgers - sat for two years

    second tier QB's
    Schaub - sat for 2 or 3 years
    Romo - sat for 3 years
    Roethlisberger - Started day 2
    Ryan - Started day 1
    Flacco - started day 1
    Cutler - Sat for most of year 1
    Brees - Sat for year 1


    Seems to me, sometimes you can throw your QB out there and he'll succeed, but most teams with great QB's on the roster seem to want to let him sit and learn rather than rough it for a year. I'd tend to agree with that. I want to see Ponder sit on the bench for the year as long as we have a Vet who can start.
    I think you have to look at each QB and see how he learns. Is he a guy who learns best by studying the book and then trying it, or is he a guy who learns from just doing it.

    From what I gather about Ponder, he is smart enough that he can learn it both ways.

    Again, based on that assumption, I would love to see him on the field right away as sitting him would only delay the process.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  10. #70
    Purple Floyd's Avatar
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    16,646
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

    Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1095497
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095363
    With Ponder, will Vikings change QB strategy in free agency?


    IMHO, you don't go hang your ass out to dry by grabbing arguably the most "Football" ready QB out of this class and not start him cause you have a vet available, especially one that has been let loose by two teams in a year.

    Even if they bring in a Dnabb, my guess, he won't start, and if he does, it won't be long.

    This staff has made a statement. Ponder is the "Franchise QB" they wanted. Lets get the process started by running him out there instead of hiding him on the bench behind a guy like Dnabb.
    Musgrave expects veteran QB addition

    "I think that balances out a position, not just quarterback, but to have some young, developmental talent and also have some veterans -- because players not only learn from coaches, they also learn from their fellow players," Musgrave said.
    BTW I think McNabb is headed to Arizona.
    Bulger is headed to Arizona. Mark it down.

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Michael Jenkins Makes Sense For The Vikings
    By jargomcfargo in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 08-03-2011, 07:28 PM
  2. Michael Jenkins makes sense for Vikings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 02:53 AM
  3. Donovan McNabb will wear #5 with the Vikings (Pic)
    By MulletMullitia in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-30-2011, 02:42 AM
  4. Why the Vikings Should Have Pursued Donovan McNabb
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 04:42 PM
  5. So much for the Donovan Mcnabb thing
    By buliwyf in forum Vikings Offseason/Draft/FA Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 11:45 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •