Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1094320
    Any chance Alex Smith is an option?
    God, i seriously hope not!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1094069
    Sorry,
    I missed this response.
    I think missing the first year should be a mandatory for all rookie Qb's.
    Give them a year to come up to speed with the life of an NFL player before having to deal with being thrown into a leadership role.
    I don't think Rooks should start their first year either unless they are in a position were they don't have to learn much....

Two positions I think shouldn't have a problem starting their first year.

RB. Only tough thing for them is to learn pass protection and if need be (and they struggle figuring that out) you take them out for a 3rd down back that is a vet.

WR. Some of the site reads and how it affects their stems and breaks in their routes might be hard, but the QB should be able to make those adjustments for them with hand signals or audibles.

Some I think need to learn the game (that one year thing you mentioned)

Centers. Especially if he is making line calls pre-snap.

Tackles. I am starting to shift on this a bit based on how well these cats have done coming out of late. I think that the only people who really benifit from the spread at the collegiate level as they transition to the next level is the Olmen when it comes to the passing game.

S's/CB's. I don't care how good they are. A crafty vet WR will school them on almost every play. Sure there are rare exceptions, but not many.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1094080
    LOL WHAT?!

NO QB drafted at 12 should start ESPECIALLY with no OTAs, training camp, and possibly preseason. That would be the dumbest shit on earth. Any football fan with a half a brain should know that.
    And yet we will see it happen this year. Some QB taken after 12 will start my friend. Mark it on the wall.

McNabb makes perfect sense and is > than Kolb. We draft Locker and get McNabb. Sounds like a perfect plan to me.

Wow.
    Do you really think your qualified to say what old assed, broken down QB makes sense?

How did the last one you championed work out?

Unless I'm mistaken, not so well as we still don't have a SB trophy sitting on any mantel that I can find.

Quick question, who would you rather have as your 3 QB's this year....

Kolb
    Locker
    Webb

or

McNabb
    Locker
    Webb

What makes sense to me is the first group, and not the second.

First 3 you have the following:

a. Vet who knows the scheme.
    b. Vet who can run the scheme.
    c. Vet who has a long term future in the league
    d. Rooks that fit the scheme and add nice depth behind the vet, one of which has proven he can win as a backup, atleast once.

Second 3

b. Vet who can run the scheme, but has shown signs of not being able to get it done who has been released by one team and benched by another team for Sexy Rexy.
    c. Vet who has only a couple more years in him and even that is questionable (see item b of this group)
    d. Rooks who fit the scheme and will HAVE to provide depth cause the old assed guy is gonna get broke (or fail like he did in Deadskin land) and have to have a backup come in for him.

I marvel that you seem to love these old broke down assed cats.....WOW.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "midgensa" #1094081
    While I agree that drafting a QB at No. 12 and throwing him out there is not the best idea ... I still like it better than McNabb.

I also like Kolb much more than I like McNabb.

McNabb has always been a very good QB, never been an elite QB and is definitely showing major signs of slowing down. I am glad he ended up in Washington last season, because I was much more on the Donavan bandwagon back then than I am now.

I would not hate McNabb starting and Locker/Ponder/Dalton etc. as the backup. But my favorite move would be to find a way to get Kolb.

I think Kolb has what it takes to be very successful in this league, and definitely has a chip on his shoulder. McNabb has nothing left.
    I have listened to alot of guys talk about these QB's this year. Consensus seems to be that the following applies:

a. Can start the first year but will have issues. Early start will accelerate their learning curve especially if they have a good supporting cast:

a. Gabbert
    b. Mallet
    c. Locker
    d. Newton (but will have to have the offense changed to his strengths)

b. Should sit at least one year, possibly two. An early start would be benificial as well but it wouldn't make sense if he didn't have a supporting cast around him:

a. Dalton
    b. Ponder
    c. Kaepernack
    d. Stanzi

In the end, all 8 of them seem to be the type of cats who should eventually become starters in the league and I wouldn't mind seeing any of them on the team this year.

Atleast thats my interpretation of everything that is out there to digest.

Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1094365
    I don't know.

I still think that if he would have the benifit of a solid coaching staff, who runs a scheme he is suited for, working with him for more than one year, he might still pan out.

I actually had him rated higher than a guy like Eli, and look how long it took him to get it right.

Long story short, he really hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do IMHO.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094374
    I don't know.

I still think that if he would have the benifit of a solid coaching staff, who runs a scheme he is suited for, working with him for more than one year, he might still pan out.

I actually had him rated higher than a guy like Eli, and look how long it took him to get it right.

Long story short, he really hasn't had much of a chance to show what he can do IMHO.
    Also you have to take in the Singletary factor as well, not sure Alex would even want to come to the same team as the coach he had sideline bust-ups with, even though of course Singletary is not HC.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1094371
    Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1094080
    LOL WHAT?!

NO QB drafted at 12 should start ESPECIALLY with no OTAs, training camp, and possibly preseason. That would be the dumbest shit on earth. Any football fan with a half a brain should know that.
    And yet we will see it happen this year. Some QB taken after 12 will start my friend. Mark it on the wall.

McNabb makes perfect sense and is > than Kolb. We draft Locker and get McNabb. Sounds like a perfect plan to me.

Wow.
    Do you really think your qualified to say what old assed, broken down QB makes sense?

How did the last one you championed work out?

Unless I'm mistaken, not so well as we still don't have a SB trophy sitting on any mantel that I can find.

Quick question, who would you rather have as your 3 QB's this year....

Kolb
    Locker
    Webb

or

McNabb
    Locker
    Webb

What makes sense to me is the first group, and not the second.

First 3 you have the following:

b. Vet who can run the scheme.
    c. Vet who has a long term future in the league
    d. Rooks that fit the scheme and add nice depth behind the vet, one of which has proven he can win as a backup, atleast once.

Second 3

b. Vet who can run the scheme, but has shown signs of not being able to get it done who has been released by one team and benched by another team for Sexy Rexy.
    c. Vet who has only a couple more years in him and even that is questionable (see item b of this group)
    d. Rooks who fit the scheme and will HAVE to provide depth cause the old assed guy is gonna get broke (or fail like he did in Deadskin land) and have to have a backup come in for him.

I marvel that you seem to love these old broke down assed cats.....WOW.
    Marr,
    You're cheating my friend. There is no way you get Kolb and Locker.
    If you get Kolb, you don't draft a QB in the first round this year. That is why McNabb makes perfect sense. He can be had cheaply and we still get to groom a Qb. He will actually have weapons this season and is a good fit for 2 years at which point he will be 37 and ready to retire.

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1094082
    Report: Vikings one of teams looking into McNabb as next QB

The Vikings are one of the teams interested in acquiring McNabb, The Washington Post reported Monday, citing two people with knowledge of the situation who spoke on condition of anonymity.
    http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f52f33/article/report-vikings-one-of-teams-looking-into-mcnabb-as-next-qb?module=HP_headlines
    Thanks for the read my friend.

Couple of thougths...

1. I sure hope, that if this is true, the league doesn't find out. Teams aren't supposed to be talking to players or teams about players right now.

Only players that can be actively or directly pursued by teams are the collegiate athletes that are participating in the 2011 draft.

2. Do I think that teams (owners/GM's) aren't working deals on the side? Of course they are but I am sure those deals are in rooms with only people who can be trusted to keep their yaps shut.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1094375
    I don't know.

Also you have to take in the Singletary factor as well, not sure Alex would even want to come to the same team as the coach he had sideline bust-ups with, even though of course Singletary is not HC.
    Maybe Smith can hold McNabb's puke bag...

Or maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by "Johnson14" #1094375
    I don't know.

Hmmmm, excellent point my friend. Didn't think of that.

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast