Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096295

Typically a guy drafted in the top 10 or 15 should be someone that can/will provide an immediate impact his first year so yes, I think, under the circumstances, he will start and he will do fine.

And I never said start Bomar. Only thing I've said about Bomar is related to helping Ponder with learning the scheme/how to do things at this level.

Isn't that what all of you keep saying Vets do?

I expect the coaches to coach him up on the scheme and the playbook.

As to the system. Currently, Webb, Bomar and Ponder have spoke with Musgrove and the QB coach. Anyone else coming in would be behind them with respect to our ACTUAL scheme because they are the only ones that the staff has had a chance to talk to because of the CBA thing.

Don't, as our good friend bleed does, mix apples and oranges into what I'm trying to say.
    No one is mixing apples & oranges.

Typically a player drafted 10-15 MAY be started & provide immediate impact, but that's generally for a non-QB position.

A QB drafted 10-15 MAY be started & provide immediate impact, but there's nothing typical about us drafting him at 12.

The Vikings didn't even want him at 12 & tried up until the last seconds to trade down their 12th pick. Everyone knows that. Common knowledge.

The reason he was taken at 12 is because they couldn't make a trade & feared he would be gone at 43.

Do you typically start a QB who if he wasn't taken at 12, could have been taken 30-40? How about 20-30?

And while you didn't say Bowmar would start, that's exactly what you would be doing if for some reason Ponder couldn't start or was injured.

Or it would have to be Webb, who still, IMO needs time. Unfortunately Bomar probably needs more time than Webb.

Bomar can't teach Ponder the scheme. Know one should want Bomar, except you, to teach Ponder anything?

Why? Bomar was a Viking for 10 fucking whole days. Now you think he's qualified to teach something he hasn't learned himself yet? His entire *cough* illustrious NFL career has been on a practice squad.

He's thrown a total of 86 NFL passes, all in preseason, which he completed a grand total of 47.6%, was sacked 8 times (almost 10% of the time) in attempting to do so & his Bomar brain has earned him an average 52.6 QB rating.

The Vikings aren't going to take that kind of risk.

Not when there's a pool of FA vets out their that have plenty of game day experience.

Not when there might be very little time at all to train/coach Ponder. Hello? The coaches and players aren't even communicating during this CBA thing & might not up until July or August.

Ponder might be good to go. Then again he might not. I doubt the Vikings will put all their eggs in one basket at this point & assume he is.

For if he's not, we are stuck starting Webb or Bomar for the rest of the season.

Even if he starts, I hope Frazier & Co. are smart enough to know that 2nd year Viking Webb & 10 day Viking Bomar don't have the experience or knowledge to teach anything remotely close to what a savvy veteran QB can.

The difference in the experience between those two groups is night & day.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096419
    or apples and oranges? :whistle:

Big C2 is offline Training Camp

Bring back Gus!!! Loved that guy.
    None

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096442
    or apples and oranges? :whistle:
    LOL! I was seriously going to use that & say, "there's the apples & oranges" you speak of", but figured he would have got wrapped up in that & lost the main crux of the post.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

I think Palmer or Bulger would be a much better influence on Ponder than McNabb would be.

Sign either of those guys to a 2-3 year deal to bring in that veteran presence. Palmer would probably start week 1, Bulger would in all likelihood be a backup.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

I want Ponder starting day 1.. If we want a veteran at his side, re-sign Patrick Ramsey..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096295

Typically a guy drafted in the top 10 or 15 should be someone that can/will provide an immediate impact his first year so yes, I think, under the circumstances, he will start and he will do fine.

And I never said start Bomar. Only thing I've said about Bomar is related to helping Ponder with learning the scheme/how to do things at this level.

Isn't that what all of you keep saying Vets do?

I expect the coaches to coach him up on the scheme and the playbook.

As to the system. Currently, Webb, Bomar and Ponder have spoke with Musgrove and the QB coach. Anyone else coming in would be behind them with respect to our ACTUAL scheme because they are the only ones that the staff has had a chance to talk to because of the CBA thing.

Don't, as our good friend bleed does, mix apples and oranges into what I'm trying to say.
    No one is mixing apples & oranges.

Typically a player drafted 10-15 MAY be started & provide immediate impact, but that's generally for a non-QB position.

A QB drafted 10-15 MAY be started & provide immediate impact, but there's nothing typical about us drafting him at 12.

The Vikings didn't even want him at 12 & tried up until the last seconds to trade down their 12th pick. Everyone knows that. Common knowledge.

The reason he was taken at 12 is because they couldn't make a trade & feared he would be gone at 43.

Do you typically start a QB who if he wasn't taken at 12, could have been taken 30-40? How about 20-30?

And while you didn't say Bowmar would start, that's exactly what you would be doing if for some reason Ponder couldn't start or was injured.

Or it would have to be Webb, who still, IMO needs time. Unfortunately Bomar probably needs more time than Webb.

Bomar can't teach Ponder the scheme. Know one should want Bomar, except you, to teach Ponder anything?

Why? Bomar was a Viking for 10 fucking whole days. Now you think he's qualified to teach something he hasn't learned himself yet? His entire *cough* illustrious NFL career has been on a practice squad.

He's thrown a total of 86 NFL passes, all in preseason, which he completed a grand total of 47.6%, was sacked 8 times (almost 10% of the time) in attempting to do so & his Bomar brain has earned him an average 52.6 QB rating.

The Vikings aren't going to take that kind of risk.

Not when there's a pool of FA vets out their that have plenty of game day experience.

Not when there might be very little time at all to train/coach Ponder. Hello? The coaches and players aren't even communicating during this CBA thing & might not up until July or August.

Ponder might be good to go. Then again he might not. I doubt the Vikings will put all their eggs in one basket at this point & assume he is.

For if he's not, we are stuck starting Webb or Bomar for the rest of the season.

Even if he starts, I hope Frazier & Co. are smart enough to know that 2nd year Viking Webb & 10 day Viking Bomar don't have the experience or knowledge to teach anything remotely close to what a savvy veteran QB can.

First, I'm not tied to Bomar. All I'm saying is that he and Webb has the most experience in the "NEW SCHEME" with Ponder right behind them.

Think about that statement and take into account that they are the only ones who have talked to the staff right?

Does that mean they are infinitely familiar with it? Hell no. I never said that.

As to the QB's ability to have an impact taken were we took him.....Cutler didn't do to bad.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096562
    First, I'm not tied to Bomar. All I'm saying is that he and Webb has the most experience in the "NEW SCHEME" with Ponder right behind them.

Think about that statement and take into account that they are the only ones who have talked to the staff right?

Does that mean they are infinitely familiar with it? Hell no. I never said that.

As to the QB's ability to have an impact taken were we took him.....Cutler didn't do to bad.
    So what point are you trying to make? A guy who may or may not have the playbook, and is still learning the scheme, but wasn't good enough to make the 53 man roster last year is the most qualified to play the role of Veteran Backup on this team?

As for Cutler, he was projected as a top round pick the entire time. Many predicted he would be the top QB of that class.

Looking through Mocks, the first five I find for 06, I see cutler going 10, 17(us), 10, 13 and 10

I see Ponder going 28, 43, (not in the first round), 25 and (not in first round)

Ponder was not a top-15 prospect, Cutler was. Cutler had an elite arm, mobility and size. Cutler looked to be everything you wanted in a QB. Ponder has a winning attitude, and some mobility but an average NFL arm.

If Ponder was in that 2006 class, I would be absolutely shocked if he went before Cutler.

Yes, POnder was taken #12 overall, no, Ponder was not a top 15-talent.

I seem to recall you claiming that being a first round QB didn't make you a successful NFL quarterback. Well being a top-15 pick doesn't make you a guy who can start successfully day one.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

McNabb is not the right veteran IMO. He failed miserably with Washington last year...word is (Sirius XM NFL Radio, specifically, Kirwan and Ryan) that he simply could not grasp the playbook. Eagles fans were quite happy to see him go, even to Washington, a Division rival. Yes, he beat them their first meeting, but, by in large, he sucked...and, I think he's done, kaput, finished.

If the Vikes are locked in on bringing in a veteran (I'm not sure), why not sign Bulger to a two-year deal? Word out of Baltimore (again, Sirius XM) is that he was in the best shape of his career last year and that he was a tremendous influence on Flacco.

McNabb makes no sense to me.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Big C2 is offline Training Camp

Sign either of those guys to a 2-3 year deal to bring in that veteran presence. Palmer would probably start week 1, Bulger would in all likelihood be a backup.
    I want Ponder starting day 1.. If we want a veteran at his side, re-sign Patrick Ramsey
    I want Ponder starting day 1 too. I forgot about Bulger. I doubt we would plunk down that much cash for a backup QB though. Bulger will be a hot commodity for some teams looking for a starter. Ramsey might do. Maybe even Kerry Collins if the Titans let him go.

I sure as hell don't want McNabb. I have never liked the guy. I have no idea why.
    None

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast