Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: Donovan McNabb to Minnesota Vikings?It makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096296
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096295
    As to the system. Currently, Webb, Bomar and Ponder have spoke with Musgrove and the QB coach. Anyone else coming in would be behind them with respect to our ACTUAL scheme because they are the only ones that the staff has had a chance to talk to because of the CBA thing.
    Yes, because McNabb would be the one teaching Ponder the scheme. You know better, and now you're just arguing for the sake of arguing.

What a guylike McNabb or Hasslebeck brings to the table is experience and ability. They can help teach a kid how to read a D, how to react to certain looks, what to do when X happens.

For example, if we have a guy like McNabb, and Ponder tosses a pick in preseason then goes to the bench to talk it over with McNabb, the exchange won't be

CP "Hey Don, did you see what happened there?"
    DNabb"Yeah man, did yous ee how the corners pressed up but you threw the out anyway?"
    CP "Yeah, i got rushed there"
    DM " well sorry dude, i can't help you, I don't know the name of all the plays yet"

Nor, would it go

CP " Hey D, you saw when the corner came up on the press right, "
    DN "yeah, you shoudl have checked off to Regular, Y left H-peel 949 halfback flat"

No, he'd just say, when the corner comes up on the press, check out into a different play, either one where the Wideout runs a slant, or a fade can also be an option, as if he can get a quick release he'll usually be open for the quick hit.

He doesn't need to understand the ins and outs of the exact scheme we run, most schemes have the same routes and the same plays, just different terminology and way they're used.
    No, I don't argue, I discuss. You want me to agree with your point of view, give me something better to go on.

For now, your side of the discussion is centered on a Vet teaching the kid the scheme.

Mine is centered on the coaching staff teaching him the scheme.

You want to know what the best tool they have in their hip pocket is now.......the tape they have of the Noodle running the scheme in 2009.

If Ponder is as smart as they say he is, he should have no problem digesting the scheme, as its presented by the coaches, using that kindof info.

Believe it or not, thats why they study tape so much. So they can see how its done.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096301
    For now, your side of the discussion is centered on a Vet teaching the kid the scheme.
    When did I say that?

Help understand some points of the scheme? sure.
    Help develop an understanding of playing the position? Definitely.
    Help by giving tips based on prior mistakes and experience, absolutely.

Fact remains, McNabb is a better quarterback than Musgrave or whoever our new QB coach is. He played the position at a very high level, our coaches did not. Now, that's not to say that the coaches aren't qualified to coach, but a great player will have some points and insight that some coaches do not. NObody knows the game 100%, it helps to have more than one person to look to for guidance

You want to know what the best tool they have in their hip pocket is now.......the tape they have of the Noodle running the scheme in 2009.
    Except you can't ask him what the call was, what he was thinking, what he saw in the defense, you can only assume based on tape.

If Ponder is as smart as they say he is, he should have no problem digesting the scheme, as its presented by the coaches, using that kindof info.
    And why force him to do it himself when he can have someone help speed up the process.

Believe it or not, thats why they study tape so much. So they can see how its done.
    No shit, I thought it was so they could get their 35 hours a week and qualify for benefits.

A vet gives guidance mainly on the sideline, during a game and at practice. In the film room, sure they can have insightful comments, but it's the coaches show in the film room.

Do you ever notice after a drive, QB's will consult with... wait for it... OTHER QUARTERBACKS. Talk about what went right, what went wrong. Perhaps get a second pair of eyes and see if there's anything he missed.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096302
    When did I say that?

Fact remains, McNabb is a better quarterback than Musgrave or whoever our new QB coach is. He played the position at a very high level, our coaches did not. Now, that's not to say that the coaches aren't qualified to coach, but a great player will have some points and insight that some coaches do not. NObody knows the game 100%, it helps to have more than one person to look to for guidance

Except you can't ask him what the call was, what he was thinking, what he saw in the defense, you can only assume based on tape.

And why force him to do it himself when he can have someone help speed up the process.

No shit, I thought it was so they could get their 35 hours a week and qualify for benefits.

A vet gives guidance mainly on the sideline, during a game and at practice. In the film room, sure they can have insightful comments, but it's the coaches show in the film room.

Do you ever notice after a drive, QB's will consult with... wait for it... OTHER QUARTERBACKS. Talk about what went right, what went wrong. Perhaps get a second pair of eyes and see if there's anything he missed.
    LOL, they don't consult with each other. They consult with the QB coach and if things are going bad the O-coord and if they are really going bad, the HC as well.

Consult with each other.

On a side note....(from our good friends at wiki)

A standout athlete at Grand Junction High School, Musgrave was named the Colorado High School Athlete of the Year in 1985. Musgrave started four years for the University of Oregon, and was captain for three. Musgrave led the Ducks to back-to-back bowl appearances for the first time in school history. In 1990, as a Senior, Musgrave was named team MVP, 1990 first-team all-conference quarterback, GTE Academic All-American of the Year, and earned a Scholar-Athlete Award by the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame. Musgrave was inducted into the school's Hall of Fame in 2000. Musgrave is the team's career leader for passing yardage (8343).

Drafted in the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys, Musgrave would be released in camp and played with the San Francisco 49ers from 1991-94 under head coach George Seifert and offensive coordinator Mike Shanahan. Musgrave went with Shanahan to Denver in 1995-96, and was released in preseason 1997
    Bill Walsh (born September 8, 1927 in Phillipsburg, New Jersey[1]) was a center who played six seasons in the National Football League. Walsh attended the University of Notre Dame.
    Who has more "Player" experience at the QB position, Musgrove or Bill Walsh.

One of them is arguably the best QB coach to walk this good green earth and probably was top 3 when it comes to offensive schemes.

Sometimes, just sometimes, dorks in shorts are better teachers than Jocks.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096307
    Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096302
    When did I say that?

LOL, they don't consult with each other. They consult with the QB coach and if things are going bad the O-coord and if they are really going bad, the HC as well.

Consult with each other.
    Do you watch the games?

who's this guy talking to?

This picture's just funny and I thought I'd link it.

What's this guy talking about? That perfect 10 he saw earlier?

yes, they talk with the coaches, and they also talk with each other.

I find it interesting, you harped on Favre for saying it wasn't his job to teach Rodgers anything, now you're basically agreeing with that sentiment.
    I'm starting to think you're being purposely obtuse.
    On a side note....(from our good friends at wiki)

A standout athlete at Grand Junction High School, Musgrave was named the Colorado High School Athlete of the Year in 1985. Musgrave started four years for the University of Oregon, and was captain for three. Musgrave led the Ducks to back-to-back bowl appearances for the first time in school history. In 1990, as a Senior, Musgrave was named team MVP, 1990 first-team all-conference quarterback, GTE Academic All-American of the Year, and earned a Scholar-Athlete Award by the National Football Foundation and Hall of Fame. Musgrave was inducted into the school's Hall of Fame in 2000. Musgrave is the team's career leader for passing yardage (8343).

Drafted in the fourth round by the Dallas Cowboys, Musgrave would be released in camp and played with the San Francisco 49ers from 1991-94 under head coach George Seifert and offensive coordinator Mike Shanahan. Musgrave went with Shanahan to Denver in 1995-96, and was released in preseason 1997
    Bill Walsh (born September 8, 1927 in Phillipsburg, New Jersey[1]) was a center who played six seasons in the National Football League. Walsh attended the University of Notre Dame.
    Who has more "Player" experience at the QB position, Musgrove or Bill Walsh.

One of them is arguably the best QB coach to walk this good green earth and probably was top 3 when it comes to offensive schemes.

Sometimes, just sometimes, dorks in shorts are better teachers than Jocks.
    And your point is? I"m saying a guy who succeeded at the pro level playing the position will have something to say worth listening to.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096310
    And your point is? I"m saying a guy who succeeded at the pro level playing the position will have something to say worth listening to.
    Not disagreeing with you on that. I'm just saying the difference between you and I is the amount of emphasis you put on it.

Again, coaches coach and players play. If it was anything otherwise we wouldn't see the owners spend money on coaches now would we?

On a side note, I can't believe you missed the point on Walsh. Cat has no experience at all play QB and is recognized by all as the best evaluator and coach at that position.

.....Marrdro breaks out the other other box of crayons........

That means that you don't have to have playing experience to coach. You just need to be able to teach.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096315
    Not disagreeing with you on that. I'm just saying the difference between you and I is the amount of emphasis you put on it.
    NOt sure how you form these twisted opinions. I haven't put any empasis on it, I've said that it exists. There will be that little bit extra Ponder can get from a vet. Haven't said anything about how important or not that is.

On a side note, I can't believe you missed the point on Walsh. Cat has no experience at all play QB and is recognized by all as the best evaluator and coach at that position.

That means that you don't have to have playing experience to coach. You just need to be able to teach.
    See my previous obtuse comment. You know exactly what I mean, and now you're claiming I don't think a guy who didn't play at a high level can coach.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096319
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096315
    NOt sure how you form these twisted opinions. I haven't put any empasis on it, I've said that it exists. There will be that little bit extra Ponder can get from a vet. Haven't said anything about how important or not that is.

See my previous obtuse comment. You know exactly what I mean, and now you're claiming I don't think a guy who didn't play at a high level can coach.
    Comeon my friend. Its a discussion. Nothing more, nothing less. We will move on to another one as soon as one presents itself. :laugh:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096128
    On the PA show on KFAN this AM PA stated he talked to people in the vikins FO and there is zero chance they bring in McNabb.

I believe it and concur.
    Agreed.

No way they trade for McNabb. He wants to start & not be backup. If he was fine with being a back up, he'd stay a Redskin.

Futhermore, It's even more unlikely we'd trade for Kolb. The odds of us winning the SB with Spergeon Wynn are greater than the odds of us signing Kolb.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096407
    On the PA show on KFAN this AM PA stated he talked to people in the vikins FO and there is zero chance they bring in McNabb.

I believe it and concur.
    Agreed.

No way they trade for McNabb. He wants to start & not be backup. If he was fine with being a back up, he'd stay a Redskin.

Futhermore, It's even more unlikely we'd trade for Kolb. The odds of us winning the SB with Spergeon Wynn are greater than the odds of us signing Kolb.
    The NFLN boys were talking last night. I think it was Jammie Dukes who said that he believes the Deadskins are going to crawl back to Dnabb and try to make him happy because they really don't have any other option to be their starter this year.

On a side note, I was so happy when I found out that we trick $%cked the silly old Deadskins out of Ponder.

Can you imagine how pissed Shanahan was when Allen traded back so they could take him later and we jumped on him with our reach. :lol:

Now they gotta go, as I just said, crawling back to Dnabb.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096416
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096407

I believe it and concur.
    Agreed.

The NFLN boys were talking last night. I think it was Jammie Dukes who said that he believes the Deadskins are going to crawl back to Dnabb and try to make him happy because they really don't have any other option to be their starter this year.

On a side note, I was so happy when I found out that we trick $%cked the silly old Deadskins out of Ponder.

Can you imagine how pissed Shanahan was when Allen traded back so they could take him later and we jumped on him with our reach. :lol:

Now they gotta go, as I just said, crawling back to Dnabb.
    And Dnabb says

......................//)
    ....................,/../
    .................../..../
    .............//'...'/`
    ........../'/.../..../......./\
    ........('(.......... ~/'...')
    .........\.................'...../
    ..........'...\.......... _.
    ............\..............(
    ..............\.............\...

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast