Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
    ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Donnie Edwards Out!?

We would have the same cap hit if we drafted a LB in the 1st round

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"ejmat" wrote:
    We would have the same cap hit if we drafted a LB in the 1st round
    That may be true but we still have to draft someone in that position and pay them appropriately if we sign Edwards. And that just piles on the cap.

Please don't get me wrong. I would love to have him if they can work it out financially.

Like maybe trade a veteran to reduce our cap.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

There was an article a few weeks back after the Vikes finished their FA acquisitions that said the Vikes still had close to 13 million in salary cap space, so I do not see this a problem if they would decide to trade for Edwards.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

The Vikings, along with the Dallas Dopes, Rotisserie Redskins and Daunte's Dolphins, have been the headliners during a free agency period that was delayed a week because of the new CBA which resulted in a $7 million increase to their 2006 cap space. Taking into account (even though they occurred after the start of free agency) the $2.4 million savings realized by trading Culpepper to Miami, the removal of restricted free agent Nate Burleson's $712,000 qualifying offer from the books, and guard Chris Liwienski reducing his base salary to the league minimum which gave the Viking another $1 million in cap room, Minnesota 'entered' free agency with $35.2 million dollars in cap space. After the most recent trio of signings by the Vikings front office, it appears that any further veteran free agents additions will wait until after the draft. One in which they have five first day selections and good options at their remaining positions of need.

The Vikings addressed every component of the team in free agency and are still left with slightly less than $14 million still in cap room. Setting aside about $2.5 million as the net affect of the team's eight-man draft on the team's overall cap (added in the extra picks for Culpepper and Burleson and assumed a 20% increase in this year's rookie caps because of the new CBA), and about the same amount for the practice squad and all salaries counting on the final roster's cap, the team has about $9 million left in cap space. How effectively the Vikings spent their first $21 million in cap space follows - along with a look at draft priorities for each position:

QB - There was in fact fire where there was smoke as it became apparent that Culpepper had to go. I was very pleased to see the Vikings get Miami's second rounder as compensation, but as Charlie put so well, "I care about who they are going to get to replace him as the long-term option more than what they get for him." Fran Foley's inside information on Drew Brees seemed to steer the Vikings clear on any interest in the jewel (if healthy) of the free agent quarterback class. The remaining free agent options became young veteran backup options to Brad Johnson, ex-Cardinal Josh McCown (Charlie's preference) and ex-Packer Craig Nall (mine). Much to both of our chagrin, McCown and Nall decided on better starting opportunities elsewhere and the team ultimately signed Mike McMahon, the personal choice of Marty - the third part of the Albany/Tampa-based Triangle of Authority (on Opinions as to what the Vikings should do). I feel very comfortable with Johnson piloting the improved off
    ense but I am concerned about him surviving a season that would be at its best twenty games long. I expect Zygi to do the right thing by Brad and use some of the cap space that remains to increase Johnson's 2006 compensation from $1 million to say $3 million.

There is some chatter that the Vikings may entertain using their extra picks to move up in the first round to select one of the 'Big Three' QB prospects. It is almost certain that would be the strong-armed quarterback from Vandy, Jay Cutler. Recent reports are that he has definitely dropped down to the third position in the rankings with Matt Leinhart (too costly to move up that high) and Vince Young (no interest by this fan) and that he could last into the early to mid-teens. If the Vikings do not get Cutler, expect them to select either Charlie Whitehurst or Brody Croyle with one of their pair of third rounders. Billy Volek, a post-draft cut or trade bait if the Titans select Young as rumored, could also attract the interest of the Vikings.

RB - As I recommended last month, the Vikings did not advocate the big bang theory at running back and allowed Edgerrin James to head out to the desert to die without a hint of interest. The team instead quickly (signing him the first complete day of free agency) turned their attention to the second-best running back on the open market, Chester Taylor. Taylor has all the tools (and low mileage) to be a dual threat in Brad's west coast offense. Though the alternative to James I mentioned, Texan Dominick Davis, is one year younger with a greater body of work, it is still to be determined if he will be on the block and the Vikings lost a valuable chip in a possible trade by removing the transition tag designation from nickelback Brian Williams (who quickly signed with the Jaguars) when the new CBA guaranteed the transition tag salary if Williams chose to sign the what would have been a $5.7 million qualifying offer. I think Mewelde Moore will be a valuable supplement to Taylor bri
    nging many of the same skills to the table. At this point further depth at the position is limited to Ciatrick Fason. The unwelcome Michael Bennett signed with New Orleans to hold their starting running back job warm for Deuce McAllister - who to my disappointment in 2001 fell four picks short of the Vikings at #27 leaving Bennett as the pick for Minnesota. The most likely pick to be used on a running back is their first one and that would only be if the TOA was in love with the long-term potential of DeAngelo Williams (his NFL Comparison in the Sporting News Pro Draft Preview is Brian Westbrook) or Gopher Laurence Maroney.

FB - The Vikings went out and signed one of the best fullbacks on the market, Tony Richardson who has been the personal caddy to Priest Holmes and most recently Larry Johnson over the past several years. The team had a brief flirtation with William Henderson and at the very least made the hated Packers pay a little more to re-sign him. Ex-Ram fullback Joey Goodspeed was signed to provide depth to the team's new position and I would expect that the Vikings will take a fullback prospect on day two of the draft.

WR - I am assuming as I write this that the Vikings will choose not to fight the ridiculous poison pills in Nate Burleson's offer sheet from Seattle (which guarantee the entire $49 million if at anytime during the contract he plays five or more games in Minnesota or makes more than the combined amount of the running backs on his team) and will instead let him go home, accepting Seattle's third rounder as compensation. I think that when the team decided to still not upgrade the compensation for Burleson up to a first rounder for just $838,000 more and an additional 7-10 million under the new CBA that they had already decided to let him go for a third rounder - though probably like me were rooting for the Texans to sign him versus the Seahawks. Travis Taylor brings the same qualities as Burleson would have to the role of second fiddle to Koren Robinson (one of my two "must re-signs") who agreed to a team-friendly three year contract right at the start of free agency. Probably the
    two big winners in Burleson leaving are Troy WIlliamson (who should see a much expanded role as the definite third wideout) and Marcus Robinson (whose roster spot is now probably safe but who should still have his base salary of $2 million sliced in half). Because of the depth still in place at the position, it would take great value for the Vikings to spend a day one pick on a wide receiver and that should certainly not be in the first round.

TE - This is the one unit that was left directly untouched by free agency - though the Richardson and Goodspeed signings ensured that Jim Kleinsasser will remain at tight end. However, I think a discussion about reducing his base salary of $2.4 million is on the team's radar screen. Jermaine Wiggins will return to share time with JK as the team's pass-catching option at the position. The Vikings should find good value at tight end in the second or third round (Mercedes Lewis, Leonard Pope, Anthony Fasano, Joe Klopfenstein, Dominique Byrd) and I would expect them to select someone there to groom for the position.

OL - Quote from last month's report: "G Steve Hutchinson is this year's Pat Williams in my mind - the centerpiece of the Vikings' off-season makeover. Unfortunately, the Seahawks have reserved the right to match any offer by placing a transition tag of $6.4 million on him. If I were the Vikings I would strike quickly and find out one week into free agency whether this perennial All-Pro can be brought in to fortify the offensive line." Memo to the Vikings front office - Thanks for listening again this year! The addition of him and fellow All-Pro Matt Birk (in his own words completely recovered and ready to go) will have the biggest positive impact on the team of any of their moves thus far or any to come in the draft. While the team had the room (and at least my support) to sign the premier tackle free agent, Jon Runyan was set on staying on the east coast and re-signed this week with Philly. The Vikings instead turned their attention to free agent right guard Stephen Neal, wh
    ich is an indication that Marcus Johnson is targeted for right tackle. Unfortunately Neal decided to remain with his old team (New England) during the past week, rejecting the overtures of the Vikings and several other clubs.

Meanwhile, Minnesota allowed Toniu Fonoti to leave for Tampa Bay (via a failed physical with Oakland for being too fat) - Toniu the fast-food chains in the Twin Cities hardly knew ya! Ex-Giant Jason Whittle was signed to replace free agent Melvin Fowler, who not unexpectedly left for a starting opportunity in western New York. Almost certainly, the Viking will spend one of their day one picks on some increased depth and competition for the offensive line, and possibly even an eventual replacement for Bryant McKinnie (Winston Justice in round one?). At present the only competition for a starting spot appears to be at right guard between Chris Liwienski (his renegotiation kept him on the team while giving the Vikings nearly as much cap room as cutting him would have) and Adam Goldberg, and possibly a guard drafted day one (Davin Joseph in round two?).

DL - This was the most-talented and well-stocked unit for the Vikings going in to free agency. Their only move was the signing of ex-Charger DeQuincy Scott as a younger and cheaper alternative to the still unsigned Lance Johnstone. Like at wide receiver, it would take a convergence of talent and draft position value for the Vikings to invest an early round selection in a defensive end or (even more unlikely) tackle.

LB - One of the three day one signings was strongside linebacker Ben Leber who I am sure must have come highly recommended by Foley meaning the team has bigger problems if he flops. He does seem to have the tools to be successful in the Cover-2 and was one of the sleepers of free agency by some reports. I was hoping for a splashier name, preferably for the weakside, but the price tags on Wil Witherspooon and Julian Peterson were found to be very expensive (with Witherspoon very quickly snatched up by Scott Linehan and the Rams) and there is depth at linebacker in the draft. Coach Childress has said that he has a surprise for the middle. The surprise is probably moving Napoleon Harris inside to be coached there by Fred Pagac, his positional coach during his successful rookie stint in the middle (which ended in the Super Bowl against Brad's Buccaneers). I would love the ultimate surprise to be acquiring Ray Lewis for one of Minnesota's second round selections. Who could complai
    n about getting Ray Lewis basically for a gimpy-legged, head-case like Daunte. Also, his $5.5 million base salary (without any renegotiation) fits easily under the team's remaining salary cap.

I am starting to get the feeling that the value at the linebacker position does not align nicely with Minnesota's position in the first round. 17th may be a little early for Chad Greenway (who has speed/strength issues) and Ernie Sims (concussions a concern), and the team may be better served drafting a position with more value there, move up in the first round for Cutler, or move back in the first round and then select Greenway or Sims. Options in round two might include DeMeco Ryans or Bobby Carpenter though the Vikings would probably have to move up in the round to get either of them. There do remain some serviceable options for the weakside spot in free agency, Jamie Winborn, Tommy Polley, and Na'il Diggs, each of whom should be affordable. At the moment, the starter remains E.J. Henderson with some possible competition from Dontarrious Thomas (who may compete with Harris inside also).

DB - As previously mentioned Brian Williams was allowed to leave via free agency. He is the only new ex-Viking that I truly regret losing and that is in part only because the team has not yet addressed his loss in free agency. There remain some decent options in the marketplace - Ahmed Plummer (if healthy), Andre Dyson, and ex-Viking Kenny Wright to name the top few. The Vikings may be waiting to see what happens day one of the NFL draft where there are number of excellent options at corner in each of the first three rounds. The Vikings may also be considering a shift of their 2005 third rounder Dustin Fox (who was on injured reserve all last year) from free safety to corner to compete for sub-package roles with Devonte Edwards and a probable early round draft choice. The starting corps is led by the corner pair of Antoine WInfield and Fred Smoot, along with 2005 Pro Bowler Darren Sharper. The clubhouse leader for the job of replacing Corey Chavous as starting strong safety i
    s recent free agent signee Tank Williams (one of two strong safety targets I mentioned in my February report) but he may be challenged by re-signed special teams captain Willie Offord, my other "must re-sign". If the team is serious about a shift of Dustin Fox to corner you may see them address the safety position somewhere in the 3rd to 4th round range.

ST - Once again the Vikings signed one of my two top choices at a position of need, placekicker Ryan Longwell. While my preference was Adam Vinatieri, the team seemed to decide early on (as Longwell signed day one of free agency along with Taylor and Leber) that Green Bay had the same advantage of being close to his home state of South Dakota and the additional advantage of having his ex-agent in their front office. Thankfully he eventually opted for the Colts. There is some concern about Chris Kluwe's ability to rebound from his ACL injury which may have been worsened by Jughead's decision to have him try to play on it for awhile. A name mentioned as a possibility is Jason Baker who had a very nice year replacing Todd Sauerbrun in Carolina and whose assistant coach last year was the Vikings' new special teams coach, Paul Ferraro.

http://www.ffmastermind.com/2006/offseason/reports/eye45.php

SO, considering everything including draft picks, ST, and everything ... we have around $9MM left ... easily could have Edwards and then focus on another need with draft pick ... still plenty of money to go around.

Thanx ROB B. !!!!!!!!!

mnjamie is offline Ring of Fame

Why havn't we picked this guy up yet?? Then I wouldn't have to listen to all this Greenway crap ...... :razz:

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910