Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Re: Don Banks' mock from SI.Com - Version 5.0

i like williams but if Branden Albert is there and i would like to get him

douginc is offline Starter

I'm 100% with Zeus on this one.

First off, I think our scouting crew/T.O.A will end up making the right call on whoever we draft.
    But!
    If I had my pick, I would seriously be looking at which OTs might fall to 17, and if none of them are appealing, I might just package a pick if a great choice goes down right to Carolina's pick (since they are supposedly almost certainly will take a top OT).

My opinion only, but I think the Vikings have a MUCH greater need at OT (BOTH of them) and Right OG (Herrera's decent, but I'm not OK with decent) than they do at DE.
    I think Robison and Edwards will be fine (absolutely we should draft another DE, but there's no need to overreach).

My favorite OG in the draft, I think will be there 3rd or 4th round, and that is Kelly Brown from App. State.
    He looks gol 'darnit impressive.

Plus, it always bothers me a little bit when a team drafts a player and people yell, "We DON'T NEED A [whatever position the player drafted plays]!!"
    The draft is still young kids out of college.
    You should always be looking at positions that might be weak in a year or two, in order to give proper time for your new player to adapt to schemes and the speed/difficulty of the NFL.

I seriously, seriously hope the Vikings go OT in the first round in this draft, should one of the top 5 Tackles be available.......for all the reasons Zeus posted and I think there's probably a few more even.

"douginc" wrote:

First off, I think our scouting crew/T.O.A will end up making the right call on whoever we draft.
    But!
    If I had my pick, I would seriously be looking at which OTs might fall to 17, and if none of them are appealing, I might just package a pick if a great choice goes down right to Carolina's pick (since they are supposedly almost certainly will take a top OT).

My opinion only, but I think the Vikings have a MUCH greater need at OT (BOTH of them) and Right OG (Herrera's decent, but I'm not OK with decent) than they do at DE.
    I think Robison and Edwards will be fine (absolutely we should draft another DE, but there's no need to overreach).

My favorite OG in the draft, I think will be there 3rd or 4th round, and that is Kelly Brown from App. State.

Plus, it always bothers me a little bit when a team drafts a player and people yell, "We DON'T NEED A [whatever position the player drafted plays]!!"
    You should always be looking at positions that might be weak in a year or two, in order to give proper time for your new player to adapt to schemes and the speed/difficulty of the NFL.

I seriously, seriously hope the Vikings go OT in the first round in this draft, should one of the top 5 Tackles be available.......for all the reasons Zeus posted and I think there's probably a few more even.
    And your position is that an O-lineman (a rookie no less) will do better then Herrera? #64 is a good lineman and getting better every year.If any lineman needs to go, McKinney would top my list, followed by Cook. The right side is getting some cohesion under thier belt and you want to toss a rookie in there?
    Tuco the world.....

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "douginc" wrote:

But!

And your position is that an O-lineman (a rookie no less) will do better then Herrera? #64 is a good lineman and getting better every year.If any lineman needs to go, McKinney would top my list, followed by Cook. The right side is getting some cohesion under thier belt and you want to toss a rookie in there?
    totally agree with your thoughts on Rick Ross, he turned into a good lineman this year, and the FO just gave him what i believe was 5 year contract extension, so i dont believe he will be replaced any time soon

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

douginc is offline Starter

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "douginc" wrote:

But!

No, no, no.

I'm not saying I want to chuck a rookie in there.
    I hate tossing players to the wolves who play at highly important positions (QB, OT, CB).
    FB, DE, WR and the such are still important, but not as detrimental if they mess up.

This goes to what I was saying the last second to last paragraph.
    I'd like to draft an OT and OG now since our line could be in serious trouble in a few years (it could be argued that it is now).
    Herrera is just fine, but he could definitely use a sound backup, so could Hutch.
    As far as Cook at RT, he's been playing WAY out of position, so he may or may not evolve into an RT.
    And as far as McKinney, I agree with the sentiment that he is overrated, plus, there is no way of knowing that after his suspension (almost positive he'll receive one) that he steers clear of trouble NEXT off-season.
    That's why I think this draft would be a terrific time to stock up on what I feel is the most important part of the team, O-Line.

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "douginc" wrote:

But!

totally agree with your thoughts on Rick Ross, he turned into a good lineman this year, and the FO just gave him what i believe was 5 year contract extension, so i dont believe he will be replaced any time soon
    Call me crazy, (and not just cause I like Herrera) but the guy is IMO the 2nd best lineman on the team. Hutch, Herrera, Birk.... in that order. Yah, the team needs depth, and maybe even a replacement for Bryant, but a second or 4th rounder makes waaaay more sense to me. DE is just not a simple team need, but a glaring, out and out, desperate neccessity.
    Tuco the world.....

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "dcboardr41" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "douginc" wrote:

But!

Call me crazy, (and not just cause I like Herrera) but the guy is IMO the 2nd best lineman on the team. Hutch, Herrera, Birk.... in that order. Yah, the team needs depth, and maybe even a replacement for Bryant, but a second or 4th rounder makes waaaay more sense to me. DE is just not a simple team need, but a glaring, out and out, desperate neccessity.
    I like him as well.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

VikingMike is offline Jersey Retired

"douginc" wrote:

But!

Nice post, douginc, some good points...although IMO Brown won't go any earlier than the 5th round.
    Any man who afflicts the human race with ideas must be prepared to see them misunderstood. - H.L. Mencken

Come from the land of the ice and snow...

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    Man, I'll be mad shocked if we take an offensive lineman in the first round.
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    Bad thing.

The Vikings are set in 4 of the 5 offensive line positions. Right tackle obviously being the one that still needs to be addressed. This draft is deep in offensive tackles, so why address that position in the first round?
    Because:

Their LT is facing a 4-game suspension

Their RT may be the C of the future

Their C isn't signed after this season

=Z=
    That warrants a 3rd round pick, not a first IMO.

Honestly, I'll never disagree with a fellow alum heading to the Vikes.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"V" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "TimmyT" wrote:
    Man, I'll be mad shocked if we take an offensive lineman in the first round.
    Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
    Bad thing.

The Vikings are set in 4 of the 5 offensive line positions. Right tackle obviously being the one that still needs to be addressed. This draft is deep in offensive tackles, so why address that position in the first round?
    Because:

Their LT is facing a 4-game suspension

Their RT may be the C of the future

Their C isn't signed after this season
    That warrants a 3rd round pick, not a first IMO.

Honestly, I'll never disagree with a fellow alum heading to the Vikes.
    Christ, I didn't realize this guy was some sort of egghead engineer type!
    I wonder what he and Birk will talk about in the huddle....

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast