Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Does Jackson deserve another shot next year?

Tarvaris is 8-4 as a starting quarterback. He deserves to start again.

Bud Grant recently stated that we should give Tarvaris time.

If not Tarvaris, who? In 41 years of Super Bowls, the following Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks came to their teams as veterans acquired in free agency or by trade: Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, and Jim Plunkett, All other quarterbacks that started for winning Super Bowl teams began as young, inexperienced players with the team.

I'm all for drafting another young quarterback in the late rounds of the draft, and keeping him for insurance or future tradebait, but for now Tarvaris Jackson is starting and developing, and I for one am happy to have him on the Vikes.

Go Vikings!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Yes TJ deserves a shot again next year unless we get McNabb or someone of his caliber and winning experience. I don't want Pennington. I don't think he can get it done like McNabb can.

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

I'd say why not?
    Just because I'd fear anyone Childress and the triangle of power would bring in.

TheWhizzinator is offline Waterboy

I might get ripped a new one for suggesting this, but I wouldn't mind bringing in Kyle Boller for a little competition. He has played much better the last 2 years (albeit in relief) with a patchwork offensive line and no WRs.

I personally do not think TJack is going to be a quality starter in the near future. I think he may be a quality starter later in his career if he continues to develop.

Remember, some QBs take quite a while develop into really good starters (Gannon, Testaverde) - but I don't see Tjack helping us get to the SuperBowl in the next 2-3 years.

jessejames09 is offline Ring of Fame

Does he deserve a shot? Yes.
    Does he deserve to have the job handed to him like he did this year? No.

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

I think that TJ deserves a shot for sure! This really was his first year starting and I think he showed flashes of being able to make some big time plays for this team. He definately made too many stupid mistakes this year, but some of that could be due to the fact that he felt like he HAD to make big plays if he wanted to get off the hot seat, when he had the opportunity to settle in and run the the offense he did a good job. I especially thought he looked good running the hurry-up offense against the broncos. Now, with that said he definately needs some competition to come and push him, whether it's a vet, or a Henne/Ainge type rookie who they can draft in a later round. But I DO think he deserves another shot.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"vikesfargo" wrote:

If not Tarvaris, who? In 41 years of Super Bowls, the following Super Bowl-winning quarterbacks came to their teams as veterans acquired in free agency or by trade: Brad Johnson, Trent Dilfer, Doug Williams, and Jim Plunkett, All other quarterbacks that started for winning Super Bowl teams began as young, inexperienced players with the team.
    Brett Favre would be another, also Steve Young.
    Tark came back to us via trade but I guess using this logic he's not the same quality as Dilfer.

:-X

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

PacNWVike is offline Team Alumni

"tarkenton3660" wrote:
    I think Childress should go after McNabb or Pennington and shell out as much dough as he needs to in order to get one of them, considering the fact they are going to be 33 million under the cap next year. I think McNabb would be perfect for Minnesota since Childress coached him for years in Philly.
    If we cannot pick up a proven, veteran free agent QB then TJ should start...
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."
    Edmund Burke

vikesfargo is offline Asst. Coach

"SKOL" wrote:
    "vikesfargo" wrote:

Brett Favre would be another, also Steve Young.
    Tark came back to us via trade but I guess using this logic he's not the same quality as Dilfer.
    :-X
    Favre and Young were still inexperienced when they arrived at the Packers and 49ers. Tarkenton never won a Super Bowl, and he began his career with the Vikings anyway.

Go Vikings!

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"vikesfargo" wrote:

Bud Grant recently stated that we should give Tarvaris time.

I'm all for drafting another young quarterback in the late rounds of the draft, and keeping him for insurance or future tradebait, but for now Tarvaris Jackson is starting and developing, and I for one am happy to have him on the Vikes.
    In 41 years the Vikings have never won a superbowl, which leads me to believe we should change our name.....................

When making decisions like this stats like that don't matter, it's about doing what's best for the team and what will allow us to win.
    You or I don't know if Mcnabb could take us to a superbowl, but if given the choice of having 3 or 4 more years waiting for T-jack to develop on the field or having him sit on the sideline and winning now, I'll take the winning now.
    There are so many factors behind that QB winning ratio than just that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast