Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
    DaunteHOF is offline Coach

Re: Do we really want B. Johnson as the starter

NOOOO!!! Daunte is our QB of the present and future, as soon you people realize this it'll be all for the better
    Its not braggin if you can do it!!!

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"xvikingfan" wrote:
    I saw him throw a bomb to K Rob in the Detroit game last year.Ball was in the air for 55 yards.How much farther do you think Cullpepper can throw the ball when he's being blitzed on every down because of his inability to read Defenses.

culpepper could throw it another 15 yards. i've seen him throw 70 yard bombs. 55 yards is not that impressive, i can throw it 45 yards and i'm in high school and i play corner. BJ can't put the distance on the ball to take full advantage of guys like TWill, Burleson and KRob. he will need the corner to bite on a pump or Play action in order to be able to hit a guy open on a fly. However he is much better suited for the WCO which relies on short timed passes and good reads. I think he'd be an excellent choice to start htis year if we don't get brees, and then we can worry about drafting a QB for the future.

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Culpepper is gone...If not traded he will be released he won't play another down for Minnesota.

He knows how to manage the game!!! Thats what we need, PLUS if we do draft a QB then we want him learning from Brad Johnson so HE can then someday manage the game!! Remember we don't have Randy Moss anymore, and we are going to become a run first team!! With Brad Johnson you aren't going to get the Culpepper-Moss TD type plays!! This is going to be hard nose running and quick read passes!! So for the time being i believe he should be our QB for this season, then see whats up with next year!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

We need a young veteran! We'd be short-selling our future (and considerably shortening our window of opportunity, which is getting progressively shorter as more players leave the team and get replaced by less-knowledgable and often less-talented ones) if we stuck with Johnson. We'd have one year. One. That's not a lot of time. Brad's good, but I don't want to take the chance that he'll get us there with his aging arm. Remember Randall Cunningham's '99 season? How about Jeff George's 2000 season? We don't want anything that even RESEMBLES a glaring weakness at a position as important as quarterback. Granted, a QB can't do the job alone, but don't expect to win a Super Bowl without one, especially if the Triangle of Authority continues to sign marquee players like Ben Leber at such a breakneck pace, ensuring our dominance of the Central division in the category of mediocrity. We need to quit whining, spend some money, and get Drew Brees already. It wouldn't kill us to at least be one of the major players in the deal.

What, do you think Pro Bowl quarterbacks just fall out of the sky? Here's our chance! Brees is our guy! Take him, for the love of God! If we're getting rid of Daunte, we should at least guarantee that our offense doesn't get any WORSE. Hell, it might even be an upgrade. But, judging from his current transactions, Childress isn't a really big fan of the idea of "upgrading" your team. Leave that crap to the AFC. Everyone knows the NFC will never catch up. Just do like the Eagles did in SB XXXIX. Give up and settle for being a "pretty good" team.

Once upon a time there lived an old miser man
    By the name of Silas Stingy
    He carried all his money in a little black box
    Which was heavy as a rock
    With a big padlock
    All the little kids would shout
    When Silas was about

Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy
    Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy

Silas didn't eat, which was just as well
    He would starve himself for a penny
    He wore old clothes and he never washed
    'Cause soap cost a lot
    And the dirt kept him hot
    All the little kids would shout
    When Silas was about

Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy
    Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy

In the back of his head
    Was a voice that said
    "Someone will steal it all
    You'll be lying in the gutter with an empty box
    The thieves will be having a ball"

Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy
    Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy

He bought a safe to put the box in
    And a house to put the safe in
    And a watchdog on a chain to make quite sure
    And his face was very funny
    When he counted up his money
    And he realized he hadn't any more

Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy
    Money, money, money bags
    Money, money, money bags
    There goes mingy Stingy
    There goes mingy Stingy

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Vrehna is offline Rookie

Our quarterback situation is in my opinion the thing that the staff of the Vikings should be looking at the closest as of right now (as I assume they are). We actually have a lot of options here.

Now this is just me, but the thing that I can see happening in all likeliness is that we keep Culpepper (not that I want him), but thats what I see. Now lets look at this objectively. Culpepper along with everyone else in the business is a professional. These guys are "big boys" who can put their personal history behind them, and do what they do best. Every person in the NFL is there for a reason, and a big part of that is how competitive these people are. Do you believe that the organization and C-Pep would throw a season away and lose game after game over some petty argument? I don't see that happening. However, I do see it as a distraction, and therefore since Dante is the type to get distracted easily (as I've said in other posts) this would hinder his ability to play, and thats why I don't want Dante back as a Viking.

Other Option:
    We could stick with Brad. A 14 year Veteran with a SB ring, history with the Vikings, and is 37 (maybe 38?) years old. Though lacking the raw natural talent of Dante, Brad more than makes up for this with the knowledge of the game that he has, and I can base that purely off of the fact that Brad knows what the hell an Audible is. Brad can read a defense, and won't hold on to the ball an extra two seconds when he is being rushed by a Linebacker... Brad is the better quarterback, but is not the future of the Minnesota Vikings either.

Other Option:
    Drew Brees. The guys is asking for a damn large load of money, and this is coming off of an injury at that. Brees had good numbers, but he also had one of the best Running Backs in the league last year (LT), along with one of the top 5 Offensive Lines aswell. It is not difficult for any QB in the NFL to put up good numbers in that position. I think that Drew is asking for too much money, which makes me think he has a bit of an ego behind him.

And finally, what I want to happen:
    Drew Brees is asking for a lot of money, and though we have the cap room right now, I am not positive that we are looking good for the year after this one. Plus I don't like throwing that much money to a player who comes from an outstanding team, and putting him on an decent one. Seems like a risk to me. Also, I don't like Dante because I don't believe that our staff can handle him, or better yet, wants to handle him. I believe that we should trade him. Not only that, but I believe that with the position that Miami is in with Drew asking for so much, they will give the Vikings a second round pick for him. With that pick, I suggest that we shop around to trade up our 17th over all pick (along with our new second round) and get us a pick in the draft inside the top 10. Get us a stud of a rookie quarterback, and prime him under the teachings of Brad Johnson. I'm talking Jay Cutler. He woud be my QB if it was up to me.

With this, we have all of our problems solved. Good quarter back this year, good quarterback ready for next year, no salery cap problems, and we have ourselves a bright looking QB future.

Well, in my opinion that is.

coreyd is offline Coach

Johnson = winning record

Culpepper = losing record

Answer is simple

DCPologirl is offline Team Alumni

"DaunteHOF" wrote:
    NOOOO!!! Daunte is our QB of the present and future, as soon you people realize this it'll be all for the better
    Well since the Vikings don't think so, and we are not the powers that be, unfortunately my friend we are going to lose him :cry:

DCPologirl:Maybe Randy will make Aaron Brooks look better......roflmao Del Rio: I guarantee he will

"RK." wrote:
    Count me among those that think BJ will have a great year. I think we will put the O line together and will pick up a running back in FA. Also BJ understands the WCO and is a smart smart player. Give him a little protection and a running game and I think he will kick butt this year.
    As long as we have a good line (didnt have last year and he still won games), decent running game (didnt have last year and he still won games), brad will thrive in this offense!!

vikefan5016 is offline Waterboy

if he coms out to raider land over here...i dunno it wil jus make like a good news story ...culpepper and moss again..but the raiders are basicaly the same thing the vikings werein 02-05..high powered offense..an no name defense..

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567