Do recent Vikings signings signal their currently developing draft strategy?

Signing a few LBs before the draft may or may not indicate some degree of comfort with their current group.
    If they waited until AFTER the draft to sign them might mean they intended to upgrade with younger backups, but couldn't find the right LBs at their slots.

Signing a safety now might mean they don't have any intention of drafting Landry with their first pick, if he were available at #7.

Waiting until after the draft to decide whether or not to sign Carr might indicate they are intending to draft Quinn if available at #7.
    Or, it might mean Carr is not on their screen at all.

Can the individual and cumulative sum of their moves, and the sequence in which they were made, along with knowledge of other current roster players, indicate a 'chess game' wherein their next moves ( e.g. the most likely draft options ) can be projected with some degree of probability?

When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Do recent Vikings signings signal their currently developing draft strategy?

Meanwhile, we don't have SHIT for WRs!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

davike is offline Team Alumni

Re: Do recent Vikings signings signal their currently developing draft strategy?

Saftey position: I am expecting them to cut someone this year. I doubt they will keep 5 safteys that all could possibly start elsewhere.

LB position: I think they might draft one in a later round just for depth. I think they have their starters picked and will draft more for depth then need if at all.

QB position: I doubt they will bring in anyone to start. They might bring in another vet to "compete" for starting job, but it will probably for a saftey measure and to help bring along Jackson. A guy like Bledsoe or someone like that would probably be best....someone that has been successful at one point but is to old to start effectively and will willingly sit and just teach.

DE: Childress hasn't really talked about this position that I know of. He hasn't expressed any confidence in his pass rushers that I know of. Udeze maybe just had a bad year last year, and my still turn out to be the pass rusher we drafted him as. James has been injured his first two seasons, the last one being because of the first I believe. Knee injuries can leave a player partially crippled for the rest of his career, but this is the year I think we will see officially what he is made of. Edwards and Mitchel have shown bright spots, they might or might not turn out to be something in this league. Childress hasn't brought in anyone in FA yet so he could be expecting to draft one of the top ends in the draft if available.

Line: We haven't adressed the line at all in FA. Are biggest problems are on the right side obviously. Maybe they will move Marcus Johnson back to G and put Cook in at RT. Johnson I think would be much better at his original spot. Cook has shown some good stuff and could turn out to be a dominent tackle. I have heard some very good things about him and can't wait to see how he does. We may draft a linemen in the later rounds....after Thomas I just don't see anything worthy of a #7 pick

I still think if we don't draft a DE, we will trade down or up. I doubt that we would trade up because life isn't fair. I still hope we get a WR in the first. Since I just don't see us getting Johnson : I think the next best WR is Meachem. He has size, he can catch, and for all you 40 lovers, he ran a great 40 time and is quick. He seems like a great player, I won't get into all his details but he seems like a good guy on and off the field.

So in the first, DE or WR. If we don't take a WR here we will look to adress that in the second or third. If we don't take a DE in the first, we will probably wait till later rounds and hope we can pick up another Edwards.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

"cajunvike" wrote:
    Meanwhile, we don't have pooh for WRs!
    So, what does that imply for future acquisition strategy?
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

PurplePackerEater is offline Ring of Fame

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    It means we need to sign a few.

davike is offline Team Alumni

"PurplePackerEater" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    It means we need to sign a few.
    You mean you think we aren't set with our standout WR lineup?

I am sorry I just have a bad feeling Childress is going to go with the Reid theory and never take a WR in the first.  :-\ I see us taking a WR in the second or later and then signing a bunch of rookie free agents and then signing on a couple Vets.

I would love to grab Meachem, he I think is the most complete WR besides Johnson in the draft.

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"Purplexing" wrote:
    Signing a few LBs before the draft may or may not indicate some degree of comfort with their current group.
    If they waited until AFTER the draft to sign them might mean they intended to upgrade with younger backups, but couldn't find the right LBs at their slots.

Signing a safety now might mean they don't have any intention of drafting Landry with their first pick, if he were available at #7.

Waiting until after the draft to decide whether or not to sign Carr might indicate they are intending to draft Quinn if available at #7.
    Or, it might mean Carr is not on their screen at all.

Can the individual and cumulative sum of their moves, and the sequence in which they were made, along with knowledge of other current roster players, indicate a 'chess game' wherein their next moves ( e.g. the most likely draft options ) can be projected with some degree of probability?

they signed those LBs (Glenn and Ciurciu) for special teams..they were badly needed as kick coverage guys
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

bigbadragz is offline Coordinator

"davike" wrote:
    Saftey position: I am expecting them to cut someone this year. I doubt they will keep 5 safteys that all could possibly start elsewhere.

LB position: I think they might draft one in a later round just for depth. I think they have their starters picked and will draft more for depth then need if at all.

QB position: I doubt they will bring in anyone to start. They might bring in another vet to "compete" for starting job, but it will probably for a saftey measure and to help bring along Jackson. A guy like Bledsoe or someone like that would probably be best....someone that has been successful at one point but is to old to start effectively and will willingly sit and just teach.

DE: Childress hasn't really talked about this position that I know of. He hasn't expressed any confidence in his pass rushers that I know of. Udeze maybe just had a bad year last year, and my still turn out to be the pass rusher we drafted him as. James has been injured his first two seasons, the last one being because of the first I believe. Knee injuries can leave a player partially crippled for the rest of his career, but this is the year I think we will see officially what he is made of. Edwards and Mitchel have shown bright spots, they might or might not turn out to be something in this league. Childress hasn't brought in anyone in FA yet so he could be expecting to draft one of the top ends in the draft if available.

Line: We haven't adressed the line at all in FA. Are biggest problems are on the right side obviously. Maybe they will move Marcus Johnson back to G and put Cook in at RT. Johnson I think would be much better at his original spot. Cook has shown some good stuff and could turn out to be a dominent tackle. I have heard some very good things about him and can't wait to see how he does. We may draft a linemen in the later rounds....after Thomas I just don't see anything worthy of a #7 pick

I still think if we don't draft a DE, we will trade down or up. I doubt that we would trade up because life isn't fair. I still hope we get a WR in the first. Since I just don't see us getting Johnson : I think the next best WR is Meachem. He has size, he can catch, and for all you 40 lovers, he ran a great 40 time and is quick. He seems like a great player, I won't get into all his details but he seems like a good guy on and off the field.

So in the first, DE or WR. If we don't take a WR here we will look to adress that in the second or third. If we don't take a DE in the first, we will probably wait till later rounds and hope we can pick up another Edwards.

actually DE is a deep position too in the draft so if we took a WR in the first we could still get a solid DE in the early 2nd, maybe one that just specializes in rushing the qb.
    LET THAT WHICH DOES NOT MATTER, TRULY SLIDE

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

If you take Landry out of consideration here (not sure they will), you have to think DE is the way we'll go. CJ will be gone, and other WRs don't appear to be value picks. Joe Thomas will be gone, and Levi has 'potential bust' written all over him. IMO. So the next big need is pass rushing DE; however, we've not been too lucky in that category of late. I personally wouldn't draft one here, but won't cry and moan if we picked either Gaines or Jamaal. I'd just be wringing my hands a bit. I've been having this premonition for a while that Quinn will be the pick, not mine, but I just feel it may happen. I'm kinda hoping that Peterson falls to us, even though RB isn't a NEED, per se, I can't see letting a potential stud franchise back slip past us, AGAIN. CB is another very real possibility, with that Michigan dude. It's not a screaming need, but one that may match up with the BPA theory, if you pass on DE. PLEASE, don't surprise me and take some weird reach pick, like Greg Olsen. I probably would scream.

In summary, DE if convential wisdom is the guide, Quinn if my gut feeling is right, Peterson if they pick who I want. Michigan dude as a slight possibilty. Strange left field pick, if Loki is in the room. Hmmm. I'm hoping for a trade down if I can't get Peterson.