Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Re: Do All Signs Point to Quinn?

"Del" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I have never been one to use projected draft slots as a basis for potential.

I will say this,

We need a DE a DT an OL a WR..........possibly a DB........and possibly a QB

If Quinn is on the board at 7 I don't want to be Childress, that is a hard call to make considering you drafted your "Diamond in the rough" a year before.
    OK, I'll bite; what would you use to assess potential, if not the consensus of hundreds of pro scouts opinions?

Recall that scouts (should) use stats, history, interviews, game notes, high school records, Combine numbers, and perhaps police records, to make their assessments.
    Recall also that each pro scout will weight things differently.
    But, the large number of their analyses taken in total should provide some credibility to the result.

[ Thanks go to those above who corrected my sloppy statements about TJ's background level; i.e. Div-I-AA vs Div. II, etc.
    ]

It's also interesting to review outlier opinions on a collegiate player.
    If someone says a player will drop far below the draft slot range that 99% of scouts feel the player will be drafted, it may be enlightening to ask 'why?' Does that scout know the player personally?
    Does that scout know about an undisclosed-to-date arrest record?, etc.
    Who do I trust in ranking potential for the Vikings? The Vikings scouts and the Vikings coaching staff, the people who installed the scheme that the player will be expected to play in.

Every player has strengths and weaknesses and no one system is the same. Some talking head from the media is not going to know who is best for what, they will look at test times, college stats and other items that mean nothing.

The rankings that matter are not available to us. The rankings that are, are not worth reading. So to try and use them as a judge of our success is folly IMO.
    Correct.
    No one but the Vikings know their draft board slottings for this draft (2007).

We do know 'their' draft slotting for TJackson was behind Greenway, Griffin, Cook, and deep into the 2nd round.
    I use 'their' to include Folly-Filled Foley, who flew the coop very shortly after the 2006 draft concluded.
    I mention this because the draft picks last year may or may not have been influenced by him.

We do not currently know the Vikings draft board ranking of Quinn.

But I would guess that the Vikings are not ranking Quinn far from the scouts' consensus. If they did, there would have to be a good reason.
    The 'good reason' for a large variance of the Vikings ranking from the scouts consensus ranking may be Childress' confidence in TJackson, OR his LACK of confidence in TJackson.
    There may be other good reasons for a large variance, such as Quinn's personal character or lack thereof, and any other criteria invisible to the general public.

So, until I see some reason for the Vikings to deviate GREATLY from the consensus of hundreds of scouts' ranking of Quinn, I will assume he is ranked somewhere between 1 and 10 on the Vikings draft board, as he is ranked in the top 10 on most published draft boards.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

10 pages? A simple yes or no would have sufficed.
    :P

davike is offline Team Alumni

"Ltrey" wrote:
    There is no such thing as simple at PP.O

Thanks Josdin00 for the sig!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"davike" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    AWZeus educated me on WoT today.......
    Shame on Marrdro.....
    :'(
    Gotta watch that
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "davike" wrote:
    "Ltrey" wrote:
    AWZeus educated me on WoT today.......
    Shame on Marrdro.....

:'(
    Gotta watch that
    ;D
    You're a big man who likes big fish, so it only stands to reason you'd like big answers.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Ltrey" wrote:
    That reply format would be called a 'poll'.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

I will say this,

If Quinn is on the board at 7 I don't want to be Childress, that is a hard call to make considering you drafted your "Diamond in the rough" a year before.
    OK, I'll bite; what would you use to assess potential, if not the consensus of hundreds of pro scouts opinions?

Recall that scouts (should) use stats, history, interviews, game notes, high school records, Combine numbers, and perhaps police records, to make their assessments.
    But, the large number of their analyses taken in total should provide some credibility to the result.

[ Thanks go to those above who corrected my sloppy statements about TJ's background level; i.e. Div-I-AA vs Div. II, etc.
    ]

If someone says a player will drop far below the draft slot range that 99% of scouts feel the player will be drafted, it may be enlightening to ask 'why?' Does that scout know the player personally?
    Who do I trust in ranking potential for the Vikings? The Vikings scouts and the Vikings coaching staff, the people who installed the scheme that the player will be expected to play in.

Every player has strengths and weaknesses and no one system is the same. Some talking head from the media is not going to know who is best for what, they will look at test times, college stats and other items that mean nothing.

The rankings that matter are not available to us. The rankings that are, are not worth reading. So to try and use them as a judge of our success is folly IMO.
    Correct.

We do know 'their' draft slotting for TJackson was behind Greenway, Griffin, Cook, and deep into the 2nd round.
    I use 'their' to include Folly-Filled Foley, who flew the coop very shortly after the 2006 draft concluded.
    I mention this because the draft picks last year may or may not have been influenced by him.

But I would guess that the Vikings are not ranking Quinn far from the scouts' consensus. If they did, there would have to be a good reason.
    The 'good reason' for a large variance of the Vikings ranking from the scouts consensus ranking may be Childress' confidence in TJackson, OR his LACK of confidence in TJackson.
    There may be other good reasons for a large variance, such as Quinn's personal character or lack thereof, and any other criteria invisible to the general public.

So, until I see some reason for the Vikings to deviate GREATLY from the consensus of hundreds of scouts' ranking of Quinn, I will assume he is ranked somewhere between 1 and 10 on the Vikings draft board, as he is ranked in the top 10 on most published draft boards.
    Assume away, just don't try and sell it to me as a justifiable means of potential for my favorite teams system.....because it isn't.

The only thing that even got me going on this was Ltrey, whom I respect and enjoy on here stated if Childress thinks TJ can run our team he is a fool.....that's a red flag.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Del" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

I will say this,

]

Correct.

Assume away, just don't try and sell it to me as a justifiable means of potential for my favorite teams system.....because it isn't.

The only thing that even got me going on this was Ltrey, whom I respect and enjoy on here stated if Childress thinks TJ can run our team he is a fool.....that's a red flag.
    So drafting TJack was a waste???
    Thanks alot, Vikings Front Office!!!
    >
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910