Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Do All Signs Point to Quinn?

I was thinking about the Vikings' quarterback situation and their lack of movement regarding the issue.

I decided to run back over the past year or so and see if there is anything that says Brady Quinn could be the Vikings' pick @ #7. Here is a chronology of why I think that Quinn is on the Vikes' radar:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 4, 2006: The Vikings inquire about a trade for Matt Schaub but are denied by the Falcons.

April 29, 2006: The Vikings select Tarvaris Jackson as their potential "future" quarterback. Jackson is expected to sit behind Brad Johnson for 2-3 years to develop.

2006-07 Season: Brad Johnson flops. Tarvaris is thrown in as the starter for the last three games and looks very unimpressive in each, totaling 2 TDs and 4 INTs and completing just 58% of his passes.

Meanwhile, Jeff Garcia leads the Eagles to a playoff birth while thriving in the WCO. Many suggest that the Vikings should sign Garcia as a free agent. Matt Schaub's name also resurfaces as an option.

January 2007: Brad Childress comments that Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger will compete for the starting job for '07-'08. Childress later draws back his comments and Rick Spielman comments that the Vikings will look at every position in the draft.

The Vikings are awarded the 7th pick in the NFL Draft.

January 3, 2007: Notre Dame gets blown out in the Sugar Bowl. Brady Quinn drops from a possible #1 pick to possibly being out of the top 10.

IMO, this is the turning point. Quinn drops from the #1 pick to possibly being there @ number 7. After this, all interest in other quarterbacks ceases. This is uncharacteristic of Childress's approach, who has already expressed interest in Schaub and alternatives to Tarvaris.

March 2007: Jeff Garcia signs with the Tampa Bay Bucs. The Vikings show no interest.

Coach Childress is one of two head coaches to physically attend Brady Quinn's workout.

David Carr is put on the trade block and then released by the Texans. The Vikings deny that they are interested.

Trent Green is put on the trading block. The Vikings show no interest.

Matt Schaub is traded from the Falcons to the Texans. Contrary to their past actions, the Vikings refuse to pursue Schaub prior to the trade.

Childress comments that if the "right guy" is there at #7 he may draft a quarterback.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, some evidence here to show that Childress is interested in Quinn. It's pretty clear that Childress was looking for a new quarterback when the Vikings negotiated with Schaub the first time. Then he drafted Tarvaris, but didn't expect him to be the starter until at least 2008. This says to me that his original plan was to let Tarvaris sit behind a veteran. All of a sudden four experienced, relatively successful, veteran quarterbacks are available, yet Childress refuses to pursue any of them. That's an odd play for someone whose QB was originally slated to sit behind a veteran.

IMO, he could be waiting for the draft to make a move. Either he's completely sold on Tarvaris (which I don't know how you could be) or he's waiting to draft Quinn. IMO, when your starting quarterback situation is as shaky as ours is, you'd be out of your mind not to pursue a different guy. Childress hasn't done that, and the draft is the only chance he has left.

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

Re: Do All Signs Point to Quinn?

"Ltrey" wrote:
    I was thinking about the Vikings' quarterback situation and their lack of movement regarding the issue.

I decided to run back over the past year or so and see if there is anything that says Brady Quinn could be the Vikings' pick @ #7. Here is a chronology of why I think that Quinn is on the Vikes' radar:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 4, 2006: The Vikings inquire about a trade for Matt Schaub but are denied by the Falcons.

April 29, 2006: The Vikings select Tarvaris Jackson as their potential "future" quarterback. Jackson is expected to sit behind Brad Johnson for 2-3 years to develop.

2006-07 Season: Brad Johnson flops. Tarvaris is thrown in as the starter for the last three games and looks very unimpressive in each, totaling 2 TDs and 4 INTs and completing just 58% of his passes.

Meanwhile, Jeff Garcia leads the Eagles to a playoff birth while thriving in the WCO. Many suggest that the Vikings should sign Garcia as a free agent. Matt Schaub's name also resurfaces as an option.

January 2007: Brad Childress comments that Tarvaris Jackson and Brooks Bollinger will compete for the starting job for '07-'08. Childress later draws back his comments and Rick Spielman comments that the Vikings will look at every position in the draft.

The Vikings are awarded the 7th pick in the NFL Draft.

January 3, 2007: Notre Dame gets blown out in the Sugar Bowl. Brady Quinn drops from a possible #1 pick to possibly being out of the top 10.

IMO, this is the turning point. Quinn drops from the #1 pick to possibly being there @ number 7. After this, all interest in other quarterbacks ceases. This is uncharacteristic of Childress's approach, who has already expressed interest in Schaub and alternatives to Tarvaris.

March 2007: Jeff Garcia signs with the Tampa Bay Bucs. The Vikings show no interest.

Coach Childress is one of two head coaches to physically attend Brady Quinn's workout.

David Carr is put on the trade block and then released by the Texans. The Vikings deny that they are interested.

Trent Green is put on the trading block. The Vikings show no interest.

Matt Schaub is traded from the Falcons to the Texans. Contrary to their past actions, the Vikings refuse to pursue Schaub prior to the trade.

Childress comments that if the "right guy" is there at #7 he may draft a quarterback.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IMO, some evidence here to show that Childress is interested in Quinn. It's pretty clear that Childress was looking for a new quarterback when the Vikings negotiated with Schaub the first time. Then he drafted Tarvaris, but didn't expect him to be the starter until at least 2008. This says to me that his original plan was to let Tarvaris sit behind a veteran. All of a sudden four experienced, relatively successful, veteran quarterbacks are available, yet Childress refuses to pursue any of them. That's an odd play for someone whose QB was originally slated to sit behind a veteran.

IMO, he could be waiting for the draft to make a move. Either he's completely sold on Tarvaris (which I don't know how you could be) or he's waiting to draft Quinn. IMO, when your starting quarterback situation is as shaky as ours is, you'd be out of your mind not to pursue a different guy. Childress hasn't done that, and the draft is the only chance he has left.
    He had just lost his franchise QB so of course he was going to be looking for QB's.

He drafted TJ expecting Brad to play, TJ starts the last two games of the season.

Childress States his two guys are Bolinger and TJ

He states in a radio interview that he is happy with his QB's

He shows no interest in other QB's

..............I don't know man, it could also look a lot like he is planning on sticking with Tarvaris. Not much to go on.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

It is definately possible.
    I don't think that Quinn would be a bad choice by any means.
    TJ isn't ready, and Quinn is better than Brooks.
    Quinn - TJ - Brooks is a decent QB corps.

I have said this before, but I feel compelled to say it again (since this is a new thread an all ).
    Quinn is one of five guys who I would have no problem drafting in the #7 spot, but not one of the top two.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

I mentioned in another forum, a year ago, that the draft pick added when Culpepper was traded to Miami should be traded to another team that wanted another pick in the 2nd rd of the 2006 draft, or exchanged with Miami, for a 2007 pick, one round sooner; i.e. 1st round 2007 pick.
    Then, the two Vikings picks in the first round of the 2007 draft could be used to move up to draft Quinn, or the best QB that might rise above him in the intervening year.

My theory was that Brad Johnson would be effective for at least 2 more years.
    So, the Vikings could wait until 2007 to draft the heir to Brad Johnson.

Honest; I really posted that.
    ;D I'll try to locate it and cut-n-paste it later this week.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Purplexing" wrote:
    I mentioned in another forum, a year ago, that the draft pick added when Culpepper was traded to Miami should be traded to another team that wanted another pick in the 2nd rd of the 2006 draft, or exchanged with Miami, for a 2007 pick, one round sooner; i.e. 1st round 2007 pick.
    Then, the two Vikings picks in the first round of the 2007 draft could be used to move up to draft Quinn, or the best QB that might rise above him in the intervening year.

I posted, in another forum back in 2002, that eventually the used-card salesman would sell the team to a New Jersey strip mall developer with crazy eyebrows.

Really!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

"Purplexing" wrote:

Wait what?

You wrote somewhere that we should have traded the 2nd round pick that Miami gave us to......Miami for a 1st round pick in 07? We weren't going to get a first round pick out of the pepper not when his knee looked like spagetti and now that his head looks like it is filled with the same we all can see why.

"Del" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:

Wait what?

You wrote somewhere that we should have traded the 2nd round pick that Miami gave us to......Miami for a 1st round pick in 07? We weren't going to get a first round pick out of the pepper not when his knee looked like spagetti and now that his head looks like it is filled with the same we all can see why.
    No, I meant 'should have asked for a 1st rd pick one year into the FUTURE, rather than a 2nd rd pick in THAT year'.
    My wording was not great.

Once I find my post in another forum and post a link here, the two doubters above will be sorrrrrrry!
    Ah! ....extra incentive!
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Ltrey,

As always a great post.
    Very interesting.
    I would however, say that this should read

April 29, 2006: The Vikings select Tarvaris Jackson as their potential "future" quarterback. Jackson is expected to sit behind Brad Johnson for 2-3 years to develop
    April 29, 2006: Because the price was to high to move up to get Cutler and the Jets used the 49th pick that they recieved from Dallas to pick Kellen Clemens, QB Oregon the Vikings select thier third choice at QB Tarvaris Jackson as their potential "future" quarterback. Jackson is expected to sit behind Brad Johnson for 2-3 years to develop

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Purplexing" wrote:

Wait what?

No, I meant 'should have asked for a 1st rd pick one year into the FUTURE, rather than a 2nd rd pick in THAT year'.
    My wording was not great.

Once I find my post in another forum and post a link here, the two doubters above will be sorrrrrrry!

Ah! ....extra incentive!
    Why would I doubt you?

Why would anyone?

Lots of people wanted a 1st round pick for Culpepper, hell I think some people even cut off their testicles and ate them in a protest to keep him here.

The Quinn call, so you are proving that you had tight pants over Brady Quinn a year in advance? I will be impressed if we find out Childress has the same horizontal tentage over him. If we do draft Brady Quinn I will be impressed you made the call, otherwise you should have to take a pic of yourself in a Quinn jersey in a wig with lipstick on...... ;D

"Marrdro" wrote:
    Ltrey,

As always a great post.
    Very interesting.
    I would however, say that this should read

April 29, 2006: The Vikings select Tarvaris Jackson as their potential "future" quarterback. Jackson is expected to sit behind Brad Johnson for 2-3 years to develop
    April 29, 2006: Because the price was to high to move up to get Cutler and the Jets used the 49th pick that they recieved from Dallas to pick Kellen Clemens, QB Oregon the Vikings select thier third choice at QB Tarvaris Jackson as their potential "future" quarterback. Jackson is expected to sit behind Brad Johnson for 2-3 years to develop

We didn't move up to get any of the top 3 QB's we reportedly wanted Leinart included....so does that tell IF Childress does want Quinn he will have learned from his past and try hard as ever to move up a spot or two just to be sure to get him, OR does it tell us he has no intention of moving up, as he is comfortable with plan B and C?

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast