Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    bleedpurple is online now Ring of Fame

Re: A Different Approach

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    "VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I don't like the thought of trading down in the draft. dropThe farther you go down, the further the talent level s off. Let's stick with what we have and try to get at least one play maker with the 17th overall pick.
    I think the second half of round #1 is basically like picking in the second or even third round. Why not trade down and pick up a bunch of 2n-3rd- 4th-round picks? If the 'Vikes want an immediate difference maker (there won't be another 28 at the 17th pick) Get a good FA. Just my opinion.
    Probably not a 28 but there could be a few good ones that will step right in and contribute.
    If memory serves we have about 10 on the staff now doing that very same thing that weren't picked in the first round in 2006 and 2007.

This is a very deep draft that will have some very good players come out of it.
    Again, no AD's this low but I believe one of the following will be available at 17.

Reggie Smith - Can play CB or S.
    Instant starter.
    Mario Manninham - Could go anywere from here up to 10.
    Derrick Harvey,
    Quentin Groves - I would take either one if one of the top safeties aren' there.
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Griff could move to S allowing either Gordon or McCauley to step in and play opposite Winfield.
    Cromartie would provide instant depth/starter material.
    Normally I almost always agree with your most excellent opinions and insight, but I must disagree with Manningham. I can't see him getting drafted until the 3rd round. He is one of the few players I really hope that the Vikings don't draft. There are many other receivers who I think will be both better pros, and better fits for the Vikings.
    Incert Doucet there then if you want.
    I think 3 of the top WR's will be available in the middle to late picks of the first round.
    I actually like manningham better than doucet.. although doucet is stronger, manningham atleast for me right now, would be a good pickup in our KA-WCO... has speed, can catch and is a big-play threat...

doucet wouldn't be bad either.. but i'm just not sure we select one in the first.. i do like the idea of trading down and moving in the top of the 2nd.. along with picking up an extra pick next year..

we trade down to the top of the 2nd.. we get two picks in the top half of the 2nd.. can get better value if we do take a receiver.. plus we pick up an extra pick...

If we're gonna draft a receiver with our 1st pick.. i think we can get just as good a prospect at the top half of the 2nd as we can at #17... based on our needs, i'd actually like to see us trade down...
    unless some unforseen blue-chipper is there ... and that would involve a Moss like slide IMO...

but we really won't get a good grasp on this until after the combine and FA.. but it's fun to speculate...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Jereamiah" wrote:
    [quote author=VKG4LFE link=topic=42025.msg717074#msg717074 date=1202067472]
    I don't like the thought of trading down in the draft. dropThe farther you go down, the further the talent level s off. Let's stick with what we have and try to get at least one play maker with the 17th overall pick.
    I think the second half of round #1 is basically like picking in the second or even third round. Why not trade down and pick up a bunch of 2n-3rd- 4th-round picks? If the 'Vikes want an immediate difference maker (there won't be another 28 at the 17th pick) Get a good FA. Just my opinion.
    Probably not a 28 but there could be a few good ones that will step right in and contribute.
    If memory serves we have about 10 on the staff now doing that very same thing that weren't picked in the first round in 2006 and 2007.

This is a very deep draft that will have some very good players come out of it.
    Again, no AD's this low but I believe one of the following will be available at 17.

Reggie Smith - Can play CB or S.
    Instant starter.
    Mario Manninham - Could go anywere from here up to 10.
    Derrick Harvey,
    Quentin Groves - I would take either one if one of the top safeties aren' there.
    Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - Griff could move to S allowing either Gordon or McCauley to step in and play opposite Winfield.
    Cromartie would provide instant depth/starter material.
    Normally I almost always agree with your most excellent opinions and insight, but I must disagree with Manningham. I can't see him getting drafted until the 3rd round. He is one of the few players I really hope that the Vikings don't draft. There are many other receivers who I think will be both better pros, and better fits for the Vikings.
    Incert Doucet there then if you want.
    I think 3 of the top WR's will be available in the middle to late picks of the first round.
    I actually like manningham better than doucet.. although doucet is stronger, manningham atleast for me right now, would be a good pickup in our KA-WCO... has speed, can catch and is a big-play threat...

doucet wouldn't be bad either.. but i'm just not sure we select one in the first.. i do like the idea of trading down and moving in the top of the 2nd.. along with picking up an extra pick next year..

we trade down to the top of the 2nd.. we get two picks in the top half of the 2nd.. can get better value if we do take a receiver.. plus we pick up an extra pick...

If we're gonna draft a receiver with our 1st pick.. i think we can get just as good a prospect at the top half of the 2nd as we can at #17... based on our needs, i'd actually like to see us trade down...
    unless some unforseen blue-chipper is there ... and that would involve a Moss like slide IMO...

but we really won't get a good grasp on this until after the combine and FA.. but it's fun to speculate...
    [/quote]
    My point was more along the lines to show that at 17 there will be all kinds of talent and not to discuss drafting a WR there.
    Sorry if I confused the issue.

Truth be told, I actually don't think they will draft a WR at all this draft because of Rice and Allison.
    If they do it will be in the late rounds.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

stateVIKE44 is offline Pro-Bowler

"FuadFan" wrote:
    "aaeyers" wrote:
    Looking at the draft class for this year, there is no consensus choice as to who the Vikings should draft with the 17th overall pick this year. All the truly elite talent will be gone by the 12th pick or so, leaving second tier players for the Vikings to choose from. Although all the players the Vikings could pick are very good in their own right, they are probably not worth all the guaranteed money we would have to pay them. And as anyone with a basic understanding of microeconomics knows, the true cost of something is always the opportunity cost, and this is especially true in the NFL Draft.

I think the smartest thing any team can do for themselves is to trade down during the draft. With the way the trade chart is set up, you will always get good value for your picks. But why stop at trading down? All the elite players that can truly change a franchise are in the top 10 picks of the draft, and that is where the Vikings need to get to. I think that trading our first round pick this year, for a pick next year could be a wise move.

Trading our pick to a team like the Dolphins, Raiders, Bengals or Falcons who are in the process of completely rebuilding their team could prove to be beneficial in two ways. First, we could acquire their 2009 first round pick, which for those teams would very probably be in the top five or ten, where we could land a truly elite player. We could also be able to stock up in picks either in this year's 2nd or 3rd round (where there is a lot of quality depth), or in next year's draft.

Next year's draft has some amazing top-end talent, and at positions that the Vikings are most needing:

The wide receiver Michael Crabtree from Texas Tech has been described as a better pro prospect than Calvin Johnson was a year ago. He is an athletic, 6-3, 222-pound freak, and he had 125 receptions, 1,861 yards and 21 touchdowns - as a freshman. Oh, and he runs a 4.4 at his size. He is the type of receiver who can take control of a game, and is exactly the type of player that the Vikings need to pair with Adrian Peterson.

Taylor Mays, the strong safety from USC, is another player who has the potential and physical ability to completely change a game. Physically, he could possibly be the most gifted safety to ever play the game. He is 6-4 and 225 pounds, and despite his amazing size for a defensive back, he still runs a blazing 4.39 forty yard dash. With Sharper aging, and the future of Dwight Smith uncertain, there is no denying that Mays could totally revamp our defense.

There are also a number of other prospects who are worthy of being taken in the top five picks, such as QB Tim Tebow, DT Pat Sims, DE Tyson Jackson, NT Al Woods, and CB Vontae Davis are all elite players who could make an immediate impact on the Vikings.

If a player that another team covets starts slipping in this year's draft, we are in the perfect position to make a trade which would give us much more possibilities. As the Patriots showed this year by acquiring the 7th overall pick while going undefeated in the regular season, it is very possible to make a trade that lands you in the top end of the draft. And given the perceived lower value of a pick in a future draft, it seems perfectly plausible that we could trade our first round pick for a high-end first round pick in next year's draft, as well as some addition lower picks.

And although we wouldn't be adding a first round caliber player this year, the chance of being in position to take someone like Crabtree or Mays is more than worth it. We would also be in a position to take a new franchise quarterback if Tarvaris struggles this year. The current management and ownership of the Vikings has stressed the importance of building for the future, and nothing would do that more than acquiring more future draft picks.

I never understand it when a point like that is made if the talent is so weak at that point of the draft why do you think anyone behind us would want to move up and give up the value of picks it would take and pay all the money you think is too much?
    Later on he explains that This would happen IF a player of HIGH PRIORITY for another team is dropping and wants to move up.
    "I play for the love of the game; I play because there is no greater feeling than hearing 80,000 fans screaming when you smack somebody!"
    ~ Jared Allen

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123