Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

A Different Approach

Looking at the draft class for this year, there is no consensus choice as to who the Vikings should draft with the 17th overall pick this year. All the truly elite talent will be gone by the 12th pick or so, leaving second tier players for the Vikings to choose from. Although all the players the Vikings could pick are very good in their own right, they are probably not worth all the guaranteed money we would have to pay them. And as anyone with a basic understanding of microeconomics knows, the true cost of something is always the opportunity cost, and this is especially true in the NFL Draft.

I think the smartest thing any team can do for themselves is to trade down during the draft. With the way the trade chart is set up, you will always get good value for your picks. But why stop at trading down? All the elite players that can truly change a franchise are in the top 10 picks of the draft, and that is where the Vikings need to get to. I think that trading our first round pick this year, for a pick next year could be a wise move.

Trading our pick to a team like the Dolphins, Raiders, Bengals or Falcons who are in the process of completely rebuilding their team could prove to be beneficial in two ways. First, we could acquire their 2009 first round pick, which for those teams would very probably be in the top five or ten, where we could land a truly elite player. We could also be able to stock up in picks either in this year's 2nd or 3rd round (where there is a lot of quality depth), or in next year's draft.

Next year's draft has some amazing top-end talent, and at positions that the Vikings are most needing:

The wide receiver Michael Crabtree from Texas Tech has been described as a better pro prospect than Calvin Johnson was a year ago. He is an athletic, 6-3, 222-pound freak, and he had 125 receptions, 1,861 yards and 21 touchdowns - as a freshman. Oh, and he runs a 4.4 at his size. He is the type of receiver who can take control of a game, and is exactly the type of player that the Vikings need to pair with Adrian Peterson.

Taylor Mays, the strong safety from USC, is another player who has the potential and physical ability to completely change a game. Physically, he could possibly be the most gifted safety to ever play the game. He is 6-4 and 225 pounds, and despite his amazing size for a defensive back, he still runs a blazing 4.39 forty yard dash. With Sharper aging, and the future of Dwight Smith uncertain, there is no denying that Mays could totally revamp our defense.

There are also a number of other prospects who are worthy of being taken in the top five picks, such as QB Tim Tebow, DT Pat Sims, DE Tyson Jackson, NT Al Woods, and CB Vontae Davis are all elite players who could make an immediate impact on the Vikings.

If a player that another team covets starts slipping in this year's draft, we are in the perfect position to make a trade which would give us much more possibilities. As the Patriots showed this year by acquiring the 7th overall pick while going undefeated in the regular season, it is very possible to make a trade that lands you in the top end of the draft. And given the perceived lower value of a pick in a future draft, it seems perfectly plausible that we could trade our first round pick for a high-end first round pick in next year's draft, as well as some addition lower picks.

And although we wouldn't be adding a first round caliber player this year, the chance of being in position to take someone like Crabtree or Mays is more than worth it. We would also be in a position to take a new franchise quarterback if Tarvaris struggles this year. The current management and ownership of the Vikings has stressed the importance of building for the future, and nothing would do that more than acquiring more future draft picks.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: A Different Approach

aaeyers my friend.
    Have I told you that you are a great addition to the site lately.
    ;D

I like how your thinking on this, however, I just don't see it happening that way.

As with all drafts, a few players will have outstanding "Combine" workouts as well as some good individual workouts for teams that will cause thier stock to rise which will inevitably cause a few decent "Blue Chippers" to fall to us at 17.

We, for the first time since the Wilf era began, have the luxury of drafting guys that will have the time to learn from the bench/during rotations and won't be thrown to the fire like the 2006 and 2007 draft classes with one exception and that is at S.

I am 100% convinced that they will retain that pick and pick the second best S on the board as I believe Phillips will be gone in the top 10 picks.

Again, I like the way you presented your point and although it does make sense, I don't think it will come to fruition.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

Though i don't think it will happen, i would probably be for this if we do play a role in the FA market this year...sounds like a lot of talent in the 2009 draft too, again, i don't think it will happen. I think the Vikes with stick with their pick this time 'round.

-BTW, man i really like your posts, keep em comin!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Yes, that was definitely a solid post.

It's a good idea but I think the advantages and disadvantages to it are obvious...

That we always appreciate a unique point of view!

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

I don't like the thought of trading down in the draft. The farther you go down, the further the talent level drops off. Let's stick with what we have and try to get at least one play maker with the 17th overall pick.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

"VKG4LFE" wrote:
    I don't like the thought of trading down in the draft. dropThe farther you go down, the further the talent level s off. Let's stick with what we have and try to get at least one play maker with the 17th overall pick.
    I think the second half of round #1 is basically like picking in the second or even third round. Why not trade down and pick up a bunch of 2n-3rd- 4th-round picks? If the 'Vikes want an immediate difference maker (there won't be another 28 at the 17th pick) Get a good FA. Just my opinion.
    Tuco the world.....

ajoyce is offline Training Camp

Three reasons why I don't like this.
    First, I think your approach only works if we are guarenteed a top pick next year.
    What happens if we trade this years pick to a team that has an amazing turn around next year.
    We then traded the 17th for a late first round pick.
    Next years pick has a lower value for a reason.
    Second, we are not the Patriots.
    We have several holes that need to be filled.
    We don't have the luxury of trading away first round talent now for future first round talent.
    Third, even if we trade our pick this year and get a top five talent next year, it will be hard for the Vikings to sign 2 players at the top of round 1 (the acquired pick and their own).
    This would affect their free agency next year.

"I think the second half of round #1 is basically like picking in the second or even third round. Why not trade down and pick up a bunch of 2n-3rd- 4th-round picks? If the 'Vikes want an immediate difference maker (there won't be another 28 at the 17th pick) Get a good FA. Just my opinion"

If you are correct in thinking that late first round is like picking in the 2nd or third round why would any team trade a bunch of 2nd, third round picks for it?

"ajoyce" wrote:
    First, I think your approach only works if we are guarenteed a top pick next year.
    What happens if we trade this years pick to a team that has an amazing turn around next year.
    We don't have the luxury of trading away first round talent now for future first round talent.
    Third, even if we trade our pick this year and get a top five talent next year, it will be hard for the Vikings to sign 2 players at the top of round 1 (the acquired pick and their own).

"I think the second half of round #1 is basically like picking in the second or even third round. Why not trade down and pick up a bunch of 2n-3rd- 4th-round picks? If the 'Vikes want an immediate difference maker (there won't be another 28 at the 17th pick) Get a good FA. Just my opinion"

If you are correct in thinking that late first round is like picking in the 2nd or third round why would any team trade a bunch of 2nd, third round picks for it?
    The 'Vikes are a young team. Some would say we are a couple of players away from true playoff contention. So lets draft a guy at 17 to make an immediate difference? I don't think so. Players take at least three years (most of 'em) to be real difference makers. I would like to see the team trade down and really fill out the roster. Grab a bunch of guys, throw em at the wall and see who sticks. Trade MeMo and another couple of guys, picks and grab a vet. A difference maker. Two different approaches. But #17 alone is not going to win the team any playoff games. Just my opinion.
    Tuco the world.....

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni

i liked the original quote....though I doubt it will happen.

The arguement was made that what if someone turns it around next year and has a good year, and our pick drops.
    Unlikely if it goes to the Raiders or Dolphins.
    Both those teams have too much work to do.

If I were the Vikes, i would make sure to research this option, so that when they step on the clock, they have this available to them.

I think we will keep the pick though, or possibly trade it down for a couple of 2nd rounders.
    I don't really think any of the talent that will be available to us is all that great, and think we could add more depth and as much talent by trading down for a couple of additional picks.

I like the way Childress and staff evaluate talent, and I think that would be a great move for us, as I have faith in triange making a good decision.

tgorsegner is offline Coordinator

"Jereamiah" wrote:
    "ajoyce" wrote:

The 'Vikes are a young team. Some would say we are a couple of players away from true playoff contention. So lets draft a guy at 17 to make an immediate difference? I don't think so. Players take at least three years (most of 'em) to be real difference makers. I would like to see the team trade down and really fill out the roster. Grab a bunch of guys, throw em at the wall and see who sticks. Trade MeMo and another couple of guys, picks and grab a vet. A difference maker. Two different approaches. But #17 alone is not going to win the team any playoff games. Just my opinion.
    can't trade him, his contract is up. I really don't think the vikes need to trade for any veteran help. pick up a decent D.E. to go with the players already on the roster, at least one saftey, and a wide receiver and a back-up/competeing with TJ type QB if it is a good value (unlikely). That and the draft should help, considering the development of the young roster.... TJ; Cook; Mccauley and Griff; Robison, Edwards, Udeze; Rice and Allisonm I'm sure i missed some....

VikesFan787, Thanks for the awesome sig!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast