Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    fromos is offline Rookie

Did the Vikings want Clemens?

Mel Kiper had Clemens going to the Vikings at pick 48 on his draft board. Clemens' arm strength was second only to Cutler's and ahead of Leinart's and Vince Young's. Clemens had 19TDs to 4INTs and 2400 yards with a 64% completion rate his senior year and played against much tougher competition, the toughest competition in college. And the Jets were obviously impressed. Now it's been rumored that the Jets screwed us, which I wasn't sure about till I read this Q & A with Fran Foley:
    Bob: Who was the guy you were most surprised was still available when you picked?
    Fran: We liked (cornerback and second-round pick) Cedric Griffin. We didn't expect him to be there. Cedric was a guy we took that we rated higher.
    http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/14476744.htm
    So according to the Vice President of Player Personnel, they weren't expecting Griffin to be available by their first 2nd round pick- and obviously were expecting to take someone else with that pick. Who was it? :?: Sure wasn't Ryan Cook who was projected to go in the 4th. Any other cornerback they could wait 3 picks on until their next pick came up (Vikings had both the 48th and 51st picks).

So the 48th pick comes along and I beleive they were planning to take their quarterack there, but Griffin was available which surprised them enough to use their pick on Griffin instead (only the top 3 QBs had been selected at that point, who were believed to be leaps and bounds above the rest.) Then the Jets moved up because they thought the Vikings would take Clemens at 51. This wasn't any ordinary trade for the Jets either:
    The Jets made two trades to get Clemens, dealing the 35th pick to the Redskins for the 53rd pick, a sixth-rounder this year (189) and a second-rounder next year. Then they traded the 53rd pick to the Cowboys for the 49th pick to select Clemens, also giving up the 189th just received from Washington and their seventh-round pick (No. 211).
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spjside304724043apr30,0,3836809.story?coll=ny-jets-print
    So the Vikings lost their QB, and have less than 20 minutes to figure out what to do with their 51st pick. :shock: Panick sets in. :argue: They already got their cornerback. Ryan Cook was next on the board but they were planning to get him in the 3rd round (he was projected to go in the 4th.) Unable to figure out what to do in 20 minutes they pick Cook anyway.

Then they look for the solution to their QB of the future problem. Jackson was next in line and they didn't want to lose him too, so they traded up to ensure it didn't happen.

It's obvious they panicked somewhere, because as it's been pointed out they most likely could've picked Tarvaris in the 2nd round (with the 51st pick) and Cook in the 3rd round (or vice versa) and had an extra 3rd pick if it was thought through. Heck they probably could've picked them both in the 3rd round and used their extra 2nd round pick on a top tier talent.

This fits in with the following rumor I read earlier:
    According to my friend, the Vikes tried to move up in the first round to get Cutler (whom the Vikes had rated higher than Leinhart). I don't know if they tried to move up to 8, as has been reported. Apparently friction began to develop when Denver moved up to take Cutler at #11. The QB panic started to set in. There was a heated debate about whether to take Kellen Clemens at #48 or Griffin. Griffin was rated higher on the Vikes board, and that was the Vikes selection. Hell broke loose when the Jets moved up to grab Clemens with the #49 pick. The Vikes thought about taking Jackson then with #51, which was much higher than his board rating. Not sure who was pulling for Cook. Having missed out on Cutler and Clemens by other teams moving up, the dictate went out to move up to make sure they got the next QB on their list, Jackson
    Vikings are admitting they worked a way to trade up to get Cutler but the price was too steep, and when Foley was asked to grade the draft he refused to do so. The Vikes screwed up, but they were surprised to still see Griffin there and nobody thought if the Jets were to trade up for a QB it would be between 48 and 51. Me thinks if the Jets hadn't screwed us Foley would still have his job. :scratch:

UndisputedVike is offline Coordinator

Re: Did the Vikings want Clemens?

It's because of Foley we got screwed by ourselves. I truely believe he was the idiot behind how our draft went down. We should have never taken Griffin (CB) before a potential franchise QB. We reached for him to begin with and the rest of our picks.

Greenway was the only good pick. I say do away with Foley I never liked the clown to begin with.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

Jets screwed us last year by picking up Nugent right before us . . . what the hell's their deal? The story makes sense. There was obvious panic going on during the second round--it's the only way to explain it. Unacceptable.
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

To quote enlvikeman from another thread;

"enlvikeman" wrote:
    From Mr Cheer or Die:

Purportedly, the Vikings had Oregon quarterback Kellen Clemens as their target in the second round. The Vikings erroneously assumed that Clemens would still be available when they selected at fifty-one. When the N.Y. Jets swung a deal with the Dallas Cowboys to move into the number forty-nine position to take Clemens, the Vikings' draft room imploded, with those who wanted to take Clemens at forty-eight (Studwell??) at odds with those who did not (Foley??).

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

slinkey is offline Pro-Bowler

I agree with this writer of the thread. I believe they did panic and reached. Someone should suck on it.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

"slinkey" wrote:
    I agree with this writer of the thread. I believe they did panic and reached. Someone should suck on it.
    Sometimes you have to reach to get the players you're targeting or you may just loose out.

You only get one shot at it & with all the trades that went on, you don't want to hesitate pulling the trigger.

Just look at Nugent last year. A trade cost us getting him.

Draft projections are just that, projections. You not only need to pick up a talented player, but one who fits into the teams system & the type of offense/defense they're running.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Childress said pre-draft on NFL Network that he had a quarterback, and everybody would be surprised when he picked him..

So i think he had Tavaris in his eyes all the time..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

MightyVikes12391 is offline Pro-Bowler

I think we wanted Clemons becuase the Jets must have known something to move right in before us

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

Supposedly Tarvaris was 4th on the Vikes' board behind Young, Cutler and Leinart. At least that's what they're saying.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

So Studwell and Foley going at it after the Jets sniped Clemens ahead of us, they were fighting and paid no attention to who was on the board that we could have gotten with the 51st pick like Ashton Youboty or Abdul Hodge.

So who the hell picked Cook?

I am not mad that we have him, and he probably would have been a great pick in the 4th round. But Youboty or Hodge would have been a great addition to our D, and with us already picking Greenway and Griffin it would have been a good draft just on those 3 picks!
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast