Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Did The Draft Help The Vikings?

"marstc09" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Whether Clifton can handle Allen is not the real issue. The issue is that now Kevin Williams will not be double teamed unless both Allen and Edwards are left one-on one and that is going to give any offensive line problems with protection. They should not confuse last years KC defensive line and LB's with what the Vikings will field this season barring injury.
    Great post. I don't understand why Packers fans keep saying that because they held Allen in check that he will not pose a problem. Lining up next to 2 pro bowlers will make a huge difference. How many pro bowlers did KC have in that D? 1 including reserves. Oh and he is a Viking now.
    They are going to brutalize Rodgers.

There will be no more Farve crying "OW! Ref did you see that? He hit me with his shoelace as he was jumping over me! I want a 15 yard personal foul call!" WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

The draft helped the Vikings in several ways:
    1)
    Jared Allen is now a Viking
    2)
    We got another playmaker on defense - Tyrell Johnson
    3)
    A potential (emphasizing the word potential), QB to compete with TJack.

4)
    Sullivan is a potential replacement for Birk.
    That said, I think the FO is taking the right approach with Birk, in that, they have not renewed, want to see him perform this year, and drafted Sullivan.
    If Birk steps up, you never know, Sullivan has also played guard and could provide depth at two positions...stay tuned.
    5)
    Don't forget about UDFA.
    With respect to Marr
    ;D, UDFA is a part of the draft process now, and the Vikes clearly signed the best class...stay tuned.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

Of course the draft helped the Vikes... however your prediction of Rodgers destruction is just about as nauseating as Packer fans falling over themselves thinking we aren't going to miss a beat with Rodgers at the helm.

Go back an watch tape... when the Packers struggled in pass protection... a greater majority of the time it was due to stunts... both line and backer stunts.. Cliffy will be fine on the outside... I too wonder about the interior of that line... however unless Frazier incorporates a ton of different looks in the front seven... I think the match up will be a good one... with both sides winning their share...

Another point that seems to be lost within this thread is that we aren't going away from the quick rhythm passing game... which in all honesty will minimize the effectiveness of your pass rush... placing the pressure on the weakness of your defense.. The secondary.

pack93z is offline Team Alumni

BTW.. both Tyrell Johnson and Booty will develop into very stout players in time.. I really like the Johnson pick...

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"pack93z" wrote:
    Of course the draft helped the Vikes... however your prediction of Rodgers destruction is just about as nauseating as Packer fans falling over themselves thinking we aren't going to miss a beat with Rodgers at the helm.

Go back an watch tape... when the Packers struggled in pass protection... a greater majority of the time it was due to stunts... both line and backer stunts.. Cliffy will be fine on the outside... I too wonder about the interior of that line... however unless Frazier incorporates a ton of different looks in the front seven... I think the match up will be a good one... with both sides winning their share...

Another point that seems to be lost within this thread is that we aren't going away from the quick rhythm passing game... which in all honesty will minimize the effectiveness of your pass rush... placing the pressure on the weakness of your defense.. The secondary.
    IMO the secondary was never a weakness. The lack of pass rush gave the WR more time to get open. Favre was also a master at finding the open man along with making quick decisions. If you watch our CBs and Ss they made plays and quite a few may I add. Yes we were a bad pass defense but that was due to our amazing run stoppers and the failure to get pressure on QBs to make them think quickly. Favre was not effected most of the time because he was really smart and could process things almost instantly due to being in the league so long. Rodgers will not be able to do this yet.

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Of course the draft helped the vikes... we got jared allen.. got a play maker, a guy that can contribute right away away on ST and learn from one the best safetys in the league in tyrell johnson, got a qb to push tjack even harder... all around a great draft for the vikes

Chazz is offline Coordinator

"singersp" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Whether Clifton can handle Allen is not the real issue. The issue is that now Kevin Williams will not be double teamed unless both Allen and Edwards are left one-on one and that is going to give any offensive line problems with protection. They should not confuse last years KC defensive line and LB's with what the Vikings will field this season barring injury.
    Great post. I don't understand why Packers fans keep saying that because they held Allen in check that he will not pose a problem. Lining up next to 2 pro bowlers will make a huge difference. How many pro bowlers did KC have in that D? 1 including reserves. Oh and he is a Viking now.
    They are going to brutalize Rodgers.

There will be no more Farve crying "OW! Ref did you see that? He hit me with his shoelace as he was jumping over me! I want a 15 yard personal foul call!" WAAAAAAAAAA!!!!
    HAHAHA!! That is the best post I've read all week.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Well, thats a silly question.
    Can Jared Allen Sack?
    Can Tyrell "the Tornado" Johnson lay the smack down!!?!?!!
    Can Booty put touch on those short balls?

I think Allen will see lots of doubles, but that KWill has a good shot at 10 sacks!!

True...what Pack93z said about the GB offense not changing all that much.
    We'll need serious fast pressure to stop those quick outs.
    Or, at least, really good coverage from our LBs in the mid and underneath zones.

"...its a screen, no!
    Its intercepted!!
    Chad Greenway is taking it to the haaoooouse!!!!!!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

"singersp" wrote:
    [size=13pt]Did The Draft Help The Vikings?[/size]

by Brandon on May 16, 2008 9:26 AM CDT
    acmepackingcompany.com

Here are Minnesota's 2007 team rankings from Football Outsiders and NFL.com....

The title of this article is so mentally draining on so many levels.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

"pack93z" wrote:

I watched the NFLN replay about a week ago to see what Allen had against Cliffy.
    Cliffy did a pretty good job. He hooked Allen with his right arm every single play he could.
    If the refs don't ever call him for that, he will do fine.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast