Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    JDogg926 is offline Star Spokesman

Re: Dewayne Jarret!!

Instead of hoping he has a good proday making him worthy of the #7 pick, shouldn't we be hoping he has a bad pro-day, so he slips to the 2nd round?
    542cbf305f333b0554e8ffa937f852d6

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I also like him, but sure don't think he is worth the number 7 pick.
    Take a look at some of the rankings other web sites have on him.

First one, which I don't like, has him third after Ginn.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com...-receivers.php

http://www.draftclass.com/players/wide-receivers.php

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/

http://condraft.com/rankings/top-100/index.html

I generally agree with draft rankings as consensus opinions.
    But each team needs to make a draft board according to their team structure, needs, type of offense, defense they use, and salary cap issues.
    So, the consensus draft rankings shouldn't bind a team to select particular players in particular slots.

If the consensus ranking for Jarrett is, say, slot 12, I don't have a big problem with the Vikings drafting him at 7.
    I don't believe the '12th consensus rank' reflects the VALUE of Jarrett to: 1. a WCO offfense 2. seeking good character players 3. who can catch the ball well, 4. be a possession WR, and 5. be ready to start within one season.
    When we stop to think about it, most folks behavior isn't perplexing after all !

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

I will say the man does know how to find the endzone.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Point is that we don't really need to focus what we do with our #7 just because there are a couple of WR that might be gone by the 2nd round.
    This draft is deep with WR.
    For example:

Sidney Rice
    Pros: Size. He is 6'4 with great hands. A good route runner and knows how to come up with a big play.

Cons: Weight. With being 6'4 you would like to see a more physical player to get the separation from the defensive backs. Sidney struggled earlier in the year against better competition but came on strong in the second half of the year.
    Overall: Reminds me of Plexico Burress. Sidney has great hands and height for a WR. If he can gain some more muscle he should be as good if not better than Plexico. He has decent speed and will be a possesion WR in the pros.

Jason Hill
    Has good size with a strong, solid build...Runs good routes and just knows how to get open...Physical and knows how to use his body...Was extremely productive and a big play threat...Hands are big and reliable...Good body control and adjusts well to poorly thrown balls...Natural athlete with nice quickness who timed faster than expected...Agile and elusive in the open field...Has a nose for the endzone.

Johnnie Lee Higgins
    Explosive is the best way to describe Higgins. He is a legitimate threat to take it the distance every time he touches the football. He is a very good athlete, and has excellent quickness and speed. He also shows the ability to go up and get the football in one on one situations. Higgins doesn't just operate on the outside or vertically. He will go over the middle and make plays as well.

Dwayne Bowe
    Pros: He has great size, hands, and blocking skills with adequate speed. Projects as a Hines Ward type receiver- big, physical great possession receiver, sure hands, and excellent downfield blocking skills. He is not afraid to take a big hit to make a play, and has the ability to turn short gains into long ones. Against Alabama this year, he took a short underneath screen and then absolutely levelled a linebacker downfield.
    Cons: Lack of elite speed.
    Overall: Won't be a superstar, but should be a solid second round addition to a team looking to add size and toughness to a receiver corps.

Robert Meachem
    Pros: Tall, fast, strong, and always a deep threat. Reminds me of a T.O. type reciever minus the big personality. Meachem is a quite, soft spoken all american canidate.
    Cons: Prior to this season, he has been a bust. Highly recruited out of highschool, Meachem is just now finally reaching his potential at the college level as he is 2nd in the nation for recieving.
    Overall: Meachem is a quality player that is finally showing the world what he can do. If he puts up good numbers at the combines, I would not be surprised if he was an early 2nd round pick.

I also like the two guys out of our local school down here:

Marquay McDaniel
    Onrea Jones

As well as
    Ryan Moore
    Jordan Kent
    etc etc etc.

Remember what they are looking for in a WR when we talk WCO.

a.
    Precise Route Runner
    b.
    Willing to go over the middle
    c.
    Able to catch the ball in traffic
    d. Will WILLINGLY block when not catching

Always remember, and never forget.........

Just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean they won't fit into our WCO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Purplexing" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I also like him, but sure don't think he is worth the number 7 pick.
    Take a look at some of the rankings other web sites have on him.

First one, which I don't like, has him third after Ginn.

http://www.fantasyfootballjungle.com...-receivers.php

http://www.draftclass.com/players/wide-receivers.php

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/

http://condraft.com/rankings/top-100/index.html

I generally agree with draft rankings as consensus opinions.
    But each team needs to make a draft board according to their team structure, needs, type of offense, defense they use, and salary cap issues.
    So, the consensus draft rankings shouldn't bind a team to select particular players in particular slots.

If the consensus ranking for Jarrett is, say, slot 12, I don't have a big problem with the Vikings drafting him at 7.
    I don't believe the '12th consensus rank' reflects the VALUE of Jarrett to: 1. a WCO offfense 2. seeking good character players 3. who can catch the ball well, 4. be a possession WR, and 5. be ready to start within one season.
    I agree Purp.

You sent this while I was typing my next reply.
    Tracks somewhat along the same lines, however, probably doesn't make the point as well as you
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Del Rio is offline Coordinator

I think if the guy will make your team better and fit into what you want to do you draft him. It doesn't matter where the talking heads project him or what his worth is.

The goal is to improve your team, so you focus on that. Mel Kipper tells me I can't draft him that high because he is projected lower I might just shoot a creamy one up his nose.
    If you promise to be smarter, I will promise to be nicer.

My posts are worth 6 of yours.

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"Purplexing" wrote:
    1. Run well?
    2. Catch well?
    3. Think/ adapt well?
    4. Behave well?
    5. Block well?

I'll be pleased with 3 of 5 of the above, as long as 2. and 4. are 2 of those
    criteria.
    He could work on 2 or 3 of his weaknesses as a rookie.

??? ??? ??? Obviously a guy who manipulates numbers on a regular basis. I would agree with this if I could figure it out. Hold on while I take my shoe off. ;D

ballhog27 is offline Rookie

Dewayne Jarrett reminds me of a younger Cris Carter. I mean did anyone ever ask Cris Carter what he ran in the 40? He wasn't the most fast receiver out there but he made the catch and the big play. That is what i see in Jarrett and why I believe the Vikings need to trade to the 10 spot and get another pick and draft Jarrett or sit comfortbly knowing Jarrett is their guy at 7. It won't matter this year, but once B-Chill is gone, you will see the difference.
    "Show me a good and gracious loser and I'll show you a failure."
    - Knute Rockne

"ballhog27" wrote:
    Dewayne Jarrett reminds me of a younger Cris Carter. I mean did anyone ever ask Cris Carter what he ran in the 40? He wasn't the most fast receiver out there but he made the catch and the big play. That is what i see in Jarrett and why I believe the Vikings need to trade to the 10 spot and get another pick and draft Jarrett or sit comfortbly knowing Jarrett is their guy at 7. It won't matter this year, but once B-Chill is gone, you will see the difference.
    Didn't you just post this in another thread.
    Just in case it wasn't you I will give you the answer for this.

B-chill has the backing of the owner.
    Go back and re-read some of his most recent statements (last week/this week).
    They are building for the future.
    That implies that B-chill has at least 3 or 4 years.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

if he falls to the second round lets get him. but if hes gone by our pick then and steve smith is still around lets grab him.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast