Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DeSean Jackson

tybrones87 is offline Rookie

Re: DeSean Jackson

To me I think Jackson is top dog. I like him, reminds me alot of a Stever Smith or Santana Moss. Then I like Kelly, then Hardy. I think that Hardy is a huge matchup nightmare.

But I would really be happy to get Jackson, he's quick and shifty and from what I've seen he has pretty sticky hands. Also I haven't seen him take a nasty hit yet, amybe his quickness and shiftiness helps that out.

aceclown is offline Coach

If he runs under a 4.30 at the combine (which his coaches say he can) there's a good chance he'll be off the board by 17.

Chuch.

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"tybrones87" wrote:
    To me I think Jackson is top dog. I like him, reminds me alot of a Stever Smith or Santana Moss. Then I like Kelly, then Hardy. I think that Hardy is a huge matchup nightmare.

But I would really be happy to get Jackson, he's quick and shifty and from what I've seen he has pretty sticky hands. Also I haven't seen him take a nasty hit yet, amybe his quickness and shiftiness helps that out.
    [youtube=425,350]hZxRioJDms4[/youtube]

Thanks josdin00

briannord is offline Rookie

"audioghost" wrote:
    DeShaun Jackson is different...he's like a Devin Hester...a kick and punt return dude...but the best thing about him is he is talented enough to actually warrant a starting WR job...he'd be perfect for the Vikes who are lacking at WR and PR (Bobby Wade sucks and Mewelde is goin bye-bye)
    Devin Hester is proving that he can be quite a threat at the WR position.

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"skum" wrote:
    I dont think that the Vikings need DeSean Jackson, we need another guy to lineup on the outside, like Sidney Rice.

The thing is that Bobby Wade is a very good slotreciever, he needs to be moved inside, that would leave a hole for the outside spot, if we can find a guy similar to Sidney Rice it would be perfect.

I like both Limas Sweed and Malcolm Kelly as you do.

Im not so hooked on Hardy and Bowman..

I would also like to see Andre Caldwell in this offense, hes a pretty good player, he has good hands and can also runblocker, he also have the speed to be a potential deep threat.

He could also be availible in the second round..
    I like your ideas here.
    I would prefer Devin Thomas to Caldwell though, I think he has way more upside.
    If we go somewhere besides WR in the first, I will be praying for Thomas in the second.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"aaeyers" wrote:
    Personally I don't like DeSean at all. I just think he is too small to be effective in the NFL. He is going to be pushed around all day by the bigger corners, and if he goes across the middle and takes a hit from someone like Ed Reed or Laron Landry, he is going to get killed.

In my mind, timed 40 speed is one of the most overrated attributes for players. Some of the best receivers of all time had horrible 40 yard dash times (ie: Jerry Rice ran a 4.7). More important is the ability of a receiver to get open (good lateral movement), and having the strength and body control to win balls in the air as well as being able to beat jams off of the line. Also one of a receivers most under-appreciated skills is their downfield blocking ability, which makes a huge difference in the running game.

The 5 things I look for in a wide receiver are:
    1. Hands
    2. Acceleration/Lateral Movement
    3. Strength/Body Control
    4. Route Running
    5. Blocking

To me, DeSean Jackson doesn't excel in the areas I look for most in a receiver. To me he is a kick/punt returner first, and a receiver second, and I don't think that is worth a first round pick. He just doesn't have the physical tools necessary to be a true number one threat in this league. There is no question he can make some special things happen when he gets the ball in his hands, but he is not the true receiver that we are lacking; He is more of a Devin Hester type player.

The receivers I am hoping the Vikings take are Malcolm Kelly, Adarious Bowman, James Hardy, Limas Sweed, Devin Thomas or Jordy Nelson. They all have great hands and size, and have the quickness to get open consistently. What I really like about all these receivers is that they have the size and strength to be effective blockers and to win the tough catches in traffic.
    A very good post especially when you look at the skill sets and body size that is optimum in the WCO that we run.

We need some big guys that can get off the line on time, run precise routes and don't mind catching the ball across the middle/in traffic.

I like Kelly but don't think he will get to 17.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

I don´t see us using our 1st pick in a WR ,we need some experience in this position to mix with Rice,I think we ll pick a DE or a Safety with our 1st round pick ,leaving the
    2nd for a WR ,like last year with Sidney.
    El underdog.

I may be wrong but didn't Childress or someone say they don't believe in taking receivers first round. Personally I agree. And we need an instant number 1 receiver. Not a draft pick that will eventually become a great receiver. A first rounder needs to have the ability to take control of a game. Thats why you tke QB, RB, linebacker, Safety. Not receiver. can a receeiver really take control of a game. That's why I go free agency for a instant solid number one and wait until Rice and Allison become some of the greats. And the only way we go receiver is if we get a d-end in free agency. We need a dominant defensive end. The main weakness in our defense. Will make that pass defense really good. We ned a "double digit sack artist". You know what I won'tcall for Childress' head if we get a D-end in FA and draft the best receiver (which I'd rather ahve Malcom Kelly)

Here's how I rank receivers in order of most important trait. Williamson kind of influenced the first.

1. Hands: (It's a receiver. To be one you must be able to receuiver. You may be so great to get wide open in the endzone where no ones with in twenty yards of you if you can't catch it, it doesn't matter what other traits you have.)

2. Adjusting your body/ mechanics: (The ability to go full speed then, jump, twist and turn your body and come down with the ball. Sydney Rice has shown this better then anyone on or team. Williamson hasn't shown it at all. )

3. Route Running: (One of the things that made Jerry Rice so deadly was his being a route running god. Route running gets you open. To cut so well to make the DB fall to the ground. On the combebcak routes it's already too late. The ability to get open is really what it is and when you have a good quarterback being a route running god you can be deady because the QB kows exactly when and how your going to cut and how the DB will react to that.)

4. Speed/ acceleration (A burner is always good. I'm the kind of guy that likes possession receivers but quickness like Welker or functional 4.3 speed is beautiful. It's always a factor on the field. A guy who can plane out run right past the defense. It's always a great thing but speed is nothing without my top 3.)

5. Blocking: (I always say the most underrated part (meaning blocking) of a receiver is one of the most important. Anquan Boldin said if its a sweep or a stretch where it goes to the outside he needs to keep on his guy because his block could mean the difference between 60 yard TD and a 6 foot gain.I always praise blocking skills in a receiver because when you like to run to the outside yourreceiver is useless if he can't stay on his blocks. Our receiver corp has done a great job of that and is part of Adrian Peterson's 50 yard breakout TDs.

DeSean has a couple of those but Malcom Kelly and others I would rank better.
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

mark is offline Asst. Coach

i would be so happy if we got wrs in the first 2 rds then drafted corner/safty inn 3rd.sign allen at de and the best right tackle.
    <!--
    sig -->

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mark" wrote:
    i would be so happy if we got wrs in the first 2 rds then drafted corner/safty inn 3rd.sign allen at de and the best right tackle.
    Looks like this staff likes to carry 5 WR's.
    Even if they increased to 6 I don't see them spending 2 high picks on WR's.

I anticipate they will keep Rice, Allison and one more Rookie drafted this year (2nd or 3rd round) on the roster as projects/future.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast