singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Denny Green and Cardinals could disturb Vikings' plans

[size=18px]On the NFL: Denny Green and Cardinals could disturb Vikings' plans[/size]

With money to spend, a new stadium to fill and similar needs, Denny and his Cards could give his former team from Minnesota a run for their free agents of choice.

Mark Craig
    Last update: March 04, 2006 – 10:46 PM

The Arizona Cardinals have almost as much salary cap space as the Vikings, a money-making 63,000-seat stadium set to open in August and basically the same needs as the Vikings heading into the start of free agency, whenever that is.
    In other words, every rumor involving a running back, offensive lineman and/or linebacker probably will mention coach Dennis Green's old team (Vikings) and current one (Cardinals) as two teams with a common interest.

"When you show a lot of cap room, people always think you are a candidate," said Rod Graves, Cardinals vice president of football operations. "I have to give a lot of credit for that to the agents."

The Vikings are a league-high $24.1 million under the current cap projection, which is $94.5 million without an extension of the collective bargaining agreement. The Cardinals are next at $21.8 million. With an extension, the cap could rise to $105 million or more.

Both teams vow to shop for value and not lose their heads when the Ben Franklins start flying. Of course, when's the last time you heard a team executive say they were going to overpay before overpaying?

"We've not had a blockbuster deal since I've been here, and a blockbuster deal in my opinion is one that eats up most of your cap space," said Green, who is 11-21 in two seasons with the Cardinals. "It means you get one player and you're done. And we're not going to do that."

Green said the Cardinals "probably" won't compete for one of the big-name free agent running backs such as Edgerrin James, Jamal Lewis and league MVP Shaun Alexander.

"I think we'll go and get three or four or five free agents that we think are going to have a good impact on our football team," Green said. "And then we'll add those to the drafts."

Whether the Cardinals execute a "blockbuster" signing or plug several holes, the word is they're going to be key players in free agency.

Yep, those Cardinals. The laughingstocks of professional sports since basically 1947.

Since winning the NFL title that year, the Cardinals have one playoff victory. One. They've had one winning season since 1984. And only one playoff appearance since moving from St. Louis to Phoenix in 1988.

But things might be changing in the desert. Here's a few reasons why:

. Ticket sales for the new stadium reportedly are brisk. The Cardinals had a season-ticket base of only 32,000 in Sun Devil Stadium last year. And there hasn't been a home sellout or locally-televised home game since the Packers played there in 2000.

. Outstanding young players such as receivers Anquan Boldin and Holy Angels grad Larry Fitzgerald Jr. give the Cardinals some national star power.

. Green's reputation is still strong despite coming off 6-10 and 5-11 seasons (although we aren't buying the Kurt Warner-can-still-play argument). Green took a one-game step backward last year, but also cleared some dead money off the books by taking some cap hits with players he didn't like, or vice versa.

. They finally have an offensive line coach who knows what he's doing. Former Vikings assistant Steve Loney takes over for Everett Lindsay, who wasn't qualified.

Now, whenever free agency starts, Sheriff Year III is ready to roll. How aggressive he is in in free agency could affect how well his former team does in pursuit of some of the same players.

"Players see the arrow going up in Arizona, and they feel good about the direction of our team," Graves said. "We have demonstrated you can play in Arizona and still be a Pro Bowl player.

"Before, I think the thought was Arizona was not a place you could be and further your career. That notion has changed. It's not only Larry, it's guys like Scott Player, guys like Anquan Boldin, and we have a number of others excited. When those players are around other players in the NFL talking about the positive things going on in Arizona, I think word gets around and guys get excited about Arizona as a possibility."

On the NFL: Denny Green and Cardinals could disturb Vikings' plans

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: Denny Green and Cardinals could disturb Vikings' plans

I honestly think that people see us a better Franchise than the Cardinals..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

I think it's going to be very interesting. Childress is a brand new coach. His staff is young and anxious to get going. But FA players out there know very little about them. I don't know if that hurts recruiting or not. They know what to expect from some other coaches, like Green but Childress is an unknown.
    I have a lot of faith in Childress and I like the attitude of a bunch of young, hungry coaches coming in and being full of piss and vinegar. I think that attitude will rub off on theother players but it may be a concern to some players.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Mr. Purple is offline Ring of Fame

Who wants to play for Arizona. I mean lets face it...they'll never be good. Even if they signed James...they'd still find a way to suck. Our team is right on the verge of something great and FA's around the NFL know that. So given the choice...I'd say most would pick here unless Arizona offered them some crazy amount of money.

Theres NOTHING greater then a Florida Gator!
    "I promise everyone this. When Childress is let go in two years I can honestly say this.
    "I am not surprised"."-PurplePackerEater

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

well they can't be worse than Tice, and i'm sure lots of players know that. players coach or not, i'm sure lots of players out there know that tice wasn't very good. hopefully they'll see Childress as a good coach because of his success in Philly.

LAVike is offline Pro-Bowler

You'd be surprised how much the weather has to do with where players want to play . . . If it's about winning a championship, anyone's better off with the Vikes, but some players are real pu$$ies when it comes to the cold (especially if they're from Florida, or any of those southern states). People wear winter coats when it's 60 here!
    "Veni, Vidi, Vikings!"--Julius Caesar

The Cards are the joke of the NFL !!!! I don't have a problem with Denny, just who would want to go to the desert ????
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

mogwai is offline Starter

doesn't bill bidwell still own the cards? if so they're not spending money.i'm not too worried.

purplegang is offline Starter

Are you guys forgetting its all about the money. if it werent, most of the players would stay were there at. So who ever pays the big bucks gets the players they want.

"skum" wrote:
    I honestly think that people see us a better Franchise than the Cardinals..
    i agree!! I think people just compare us to the Cardinals because Denny Green used to be our coach!!! They could write this article on any other team that had the same needs as us!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin