Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Which Defensive End Would You Take ?

Its been beat to death, I think, that we would all love to get CJ, AP or heck even Quinn at number 7.
    But what if none of those are there.
    I think the next logical selection is a DE.

From all the reports I can see (I pay for most of my draft info so won't post links here) thier are two DE that are worth a top 10 pick.

Free Sources
    http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/prospects/dl.html
    http://football.about.com/od/nflplayerprofiles/p/gainesaams.htm
    http://www.draftdaddy.com/prospects/rankedDE.cfm#X
    Gaines Adams DE 6'5 260 Clemson
    After a redshirt year, and a year as a reserve end, Adams began to parlay his immense talent into production. As a sophomore, he finished the year with 35 tackles, eight for loss, and five sacks. He continued to improve, and had an outstanding junior season. On the year, Adams had 56 tackles, 15 for loss, and 9.5 sacks. Adams lived up to the hype as a senior, finishing with 56 tackles, 15.5 for loss, and 10.5 sacks.

Gaines Adams has big time pass rush potential. He is an excellent athlete, that has excellent speed and agility on the football field. He can explode off the snap and blow right by the tackle to get into the backfield. He does not just rush straight off the edge, he shows the agility to easily adjust his direction as he moves up the field. Adams has an excellent frame that should allow him to add weight at the next level, and not lose any of his quickness.

Adams relies too much on his natural talent. With his lack of great size right now, he can be taken out of the play in running situations. He needs to learn how to get off blocks better, and must bulk up to play on the line at the next level. He also needs to show more consistency on a down to down basis.

Adams has all the talent to be a standout pass rusher at the next level. He should be the first defensive end selected, and with good workouts, could be a Top five selection.

Jamaal Anderson DE 6'6 280 Arkansas Jr.
    Anderson is a former wide receiver that made a smooth transition to defensive end. As a freshman reserve, he was in on 18 tackles. As a sophomore, he was in the rotation, and started the last five games of the year after an injury, and he has taken off from that point. He had 47 tackles, 10.5 for loss, and four sacks that season. Anderson blew up as a junior, finishing with 65 tackles, 19.5 for loss, and 13.5 sacks.

Jamaal Anderson is an absolute freak physically. Not only is he an excellent athlete, with great quickness and agility, but he has great size as well. He is a difference maker off the edge as a pass rusher. He dominated as a junior, and still has a ton of untapped potential. He could be an all around force at the next level.

Anderson is still adjusting to playing in the trenches, and is still a work in progress. He has been able to get by on his tremendous physical ability, but he will not be able to rely on that alone in the NFL. He declared after his junior year, only having about a season and a half of starting experience under his belt.

Anderson has the size and talent that will draw comparisons to Mario Williams and Julius Peppers, and he carries a great deal of upside at the next level. He could really put on a show in workouts and has a shot to be the first defensive end selected. He may need a little time to become the force many expect, but if a team is patient, he could be special.

Then we get into the next layer of guys who, of course are projected in most mocks to go inthe first round and probably won't be there in the second round.
    Regardless of how that crap shoot plays out and if they are availbable, then they all have some sort of issue that gives me concern

Victor Abiamiri DE 6'4 270 Notre Dame

If he wants to remain at end, Abiamiri will have to bulk up. Even though he is in the 270 range, he still has a lean frame. The biggest issue that he will need to deal with is his consistency. He only has one year where he made the plays he is expected to make, and he can disappear at times during games.

Adam Carriker DE 6'6 295 Nebraska

Adam Carriker is a player that shows nice all around skills, and should be a complete defensive end at the next level. He may be best suited as a 3-4 end because of his size and power, and lack of explosive pass rush ability off the edge.

Jarvis Moss DE 6'6 251 Florida
    Moss is a project at this point. He will be drafted in the Top 50 based on his potential, but he may only be a situational edge rusher his first year.

Quentin Moses DE 6'5 257 Georgia
    Quentin Moses entered the year neck and neck with Gaines Adams, but he slid a bit this year. Adams appears to be the top end on most boards now, and Moses may find it tough closing the gap in the post season. He’s still a first round talent with amazing upside.

With that said, I pose the question again, do we go for the DE and 7?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Which Defensive End Would You Take ?

At this point I'm very much up in the air on what we will exactly do with our #7 pick.

If we do go with picking a DE, I won't be that disapointed, because of the fact, that is one of our needs....We could use a strong pass rushing type DE....If we do, I'de like to see us get Adams.....

I'de really like us to pick up either a WR or DE in that order......If we can get a player at this pick, in either of these positions,
    that can come in and perform and start, this would be a big positive for our team this upcoming season...

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

Gotcha Nordic.
    We sure have alot of flexibility with this pick this year.
    Could do alot of things and still come out good.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Jamal Andersion..

Rationale:
    Gaines may be gone by 7.
    Second, we could trade down and still get get Anderson and a 2nd rounder. Bowe and Anderson would be a great draft for the purple.

"VIKINGinGEORGIA" wrote:
    Jamal Andersion..

Rationale:
    Gaines may be gone by 7.
    Second, we could trade down and still get get Anderson and a 2nd rounder. Bowe and Anderson would be a great draft for the purple.
    I agree with you on Gaines.
    I also like the trade down scenario.
    Believe it or not, the Vikes seem to be the hardest pick for me to make on my Mock.

Then throw in the whole "Redskins to Trade Pick" issue and it even gets harder.
    They need picks and are sitting in the Catbird seat at 6.

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

I think it's a very likely scenario that we could end up with an end at #7 if we decide to stay there.

The only guys worth a pick there would be the two you mentioned Adams and Anderson. And it's likely that one of them could be available. It's a nice sum up of their respective forces and weaknesses, so I wont at anything there.

Just say that I rate Carriker as no. 3 right now. Jarvis Moss is on the rice, and Moses is not going to be drafted in the first round.

One you didn't mention is the Purdue kid Spencer. He's difficult to rate right now, but definitely interesting.

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

One you didn't mention is the Purdue kid Spencer.
    Thanks Cog.
    As I don't follow college football it wasn't a slight, just don't know him.

I will take a look.
    ;D

Freakout is offline Coordinator
    Blog Entries

"cogitans" wrote:
    I think it's a very likely scenario that we could end up with an end at #7 if we decide to stay there.

The only guys worth a pick there would be the two you mentioned Adams and Anderson. And it's likely that one of them could be available. It's a nice sum up of their respective forces and weaknesses, so I wont at anything there.

Just say that I rate Carriker as no. 3 right now. Jarvis Moss is on the rice, and Moses is not going to be drafted in the first round.

One you didn't mention is the Purdue kid Spencer. He's difficult to rate right now, but definitely interesting.
    Spencer is going to be this years sleeper in my opinion.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Jarvis Moss.

Freakishly fast, phenomenal athlete, made Troy Smith look silly (Remember that one Ultra?), and blocked 2 kicks in one game against South Carolina.