Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    aaeyers is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: Defensive Draft Prospects

I would love Harvey, but I don't see him falling to us. The more I think about it, the more I want to see the Vikings take someone like Brian Johnston in the 3rd/4th round. If Long/Gholston/Harvey are off the board, I think someone taken a little later would be just as productive as anyone else that would be left in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

But besides, Ray Edwards already said he is going to break the single season sack record this year, so we should be set!
    ;D

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Brian Johnston - Compares To: MATT ROTH-Miami...Johnston is a work in progress, but he brings instant value as an edge rusher. His first lesson is that he cannot overpower NFL offensive tackles on a consistent basis. This might have worked at his level of competition, but not in the NFL, where tackles are much bigger and stronger. Johnston is a good leverage player who can hold his ground on the edge, but because of size issues, he is inconsistent in attempts to split double teams. With his ability to play on his feet and the flexibility he shows coming off the corner, he will get to the quarterback often, if not asked to play every down.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    Brian Johnston - Compares To: MATT ROTH-Miami...Johnston is a work in progress, but he brings instant value as an edge rusher. His first lesson is that he cannot overpower NFL offensive tackles on a consistent basis. This might have worked at his level of competition, but not in the NFL, where tackles are much bigger and stronger. Johnston is a good leverage player who can hold his ground on the edge, but because of size issues, he is inconsistent in attempts to split double teams. With his ability to play on his feet and the flexibility he shows coming off the corner, he will get to the quarterback often, if not asked to play every down.
    Bingo......... ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

I'm so hoping we get Brian Johnston with one of our thirds!
    He's got the experience at OLB to play a little coverage underneath and the size and speed to get to the QB off the edge.
    Could be a steal in the third.
    In fact, we may be surprised, by our Vikes not going DE in the first or the second.
    OT has become a bigger need, and depending on who is there in the 2nd, it could be a total BPA pick at a depth spot like DT or S, or maybe even WR.
    Kelly would be a total steal in the 2nd...sure he sounded off once and inserted foot in mouth, but we've got inside info on his practice habits in AP, and brought him in for the interview.
    The concentration and hands to catch anything remotely in his area would improve our WR depth dramatically and help TJack to look better too.

I guess, I just kind of get the feeling that we're tired of drafting first round DEs.
    We got Robison at the start of the 4th last year, and so far he looks to be just as good of a pick as James or Udeze.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

DB
    Antonio-Rodgers-Cromartie - Compares To: TERENCE NEWMAN-Dallas...Rodgers-Cromartie is slightly faster than Newman, but he needs to show better patience in his play, as he does tend to get a bit out of control at times. Even though he has the speed to stay with receivers deep, he gets a bit reckless in his press-coverage technique and must do a better job of keeping his hands inside the frame when attempting to jam his opponent at the line of scrimmage. He added kickoff returner to his resume as a senior, but needs to be more conscious of securing the ball. Like Newman, he will utilize his quickness to excel in man coverage, but he needs to do a better job as a tackler, as he appears to be an ankle-biter rather than a face-up, wrap-up tackler.
    I said in another thread he would be a better option than Merling. I take that back. I would rather take Griffin, who is a good tackler and needs to work on his coverage, than Cromartie, who seems to be the other way around. Griff's year of experience will hopefully give us the upgrade we need. That and there won't be an incompetent safety behind him, hopefully. Also, he excels in man coverage, but we play cover 2...

Mike Jenkins - Compares To: CARLOS ROGERS-Washington...Like Rogers, there is no questioning Jenkins' speed -- he can stay with any receiver on deep routes. However, like Rogers, he is not a good tackler and tends to shy away from lending run support. Jenkins has some hip stiffness that is evident in transition and marginal hands to make the interception. He will bite on pump fakes and doesn't have great ball anticipation skills. He might be a better fit at free safety, as his best assets are his quickness, making plays in front of him and generating a good press. Quite a few publications list him as the best cornerback prospect for the 2008 NFL Draft. If he is indeed the best, NFL receivers could be salivating. He is a fine athlete, but isn't ready to star at the next level.
    IMO, that just doesn't fit into our style of defense.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "V" wrote:
    Bingo......... ;D
    Sounds interesting. What round is he projected for?

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I would not be against trading up for Harvey.

I would like to see us get Calais Campbell in the 2nd if we go OT in the 1st.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"V" wrote:
    DB
    Antonio-Rodgers-Cromartie - Compares To: TERENCE NEWMAN-Dallas...Rodgers-Cromartie is slightly faster than Newman, but he needs to show better patience in his play, as he does tend to get a bit out of control at times. Even though he has the speed to stay with receivers deep, he gets a bit reckless in his press-coverage technique and must do a better job of keeping his hands inside the frame when attempting to jam his opponent at the line of scrimmage. He added kickoff returner to his resume as a senior, but needs to be more conscious of securing the ball. Like Newman, he will utilize his quickness to excel in man coverage, but he needs to do a better job as a tackler, as he appears to be an ankle-biter rather than a face-up, wrap-up tackler.
    I said in another thread he would be a better option than Merling. I take that back. I would rather take Griffin, who is a good tackler and needs to work on his coverage, than Cromartie, who seems to be the other way around. Griff's year of experience will hopefully give us the upgrade we need. That and there won't be an incompetent safety behind him, hopefully. Also, he excels in man coverage, but we play cover 2...

Mike Jenkins - Compares To: CARLOS ROGERS-Washington...Like Rogers, there is no questioning Jenkins' speed -- he can stay with any receiver on deep routes. However, like Rogers, he is not a good tackler and tends to shy away from lending run support. Jenkins has some hip stiffness that is evident in transition and marginal hands to make the interception. He will bite on pump fakes and doesn't have great ball anticipation skills. He might be a better fit at free safety, as his best assets are his quickness, making plays in front of him and generating a good press. Quite a few publications list him as the best cornerback prospect for the 2008 NFL Draft. If he is indeed the best, NFL receivers could be salivating. He is a fine athlete, but isn't ready to star at the next level.
    IMO, that just doesn't fit into our style of defense.
    I like the way you are laying these out V.

Nice assesment on Cromartie by the way.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123