Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Defensive Draft Prospects

My fellow SKOLers,

I stumbled upon the gold mine that is NFL.com draft profiles today. If you have not checked it out yet, please do. All the information you could possibly want on the players to be taken in less than two weeks. To make things easier for those less inclined, I have tried attached snippets for everyone we have talked about taking with our first four picks. Here is the link if you want to browse on your own. I will try to add players, and maybe even have a thread with just the players we end up drafting in two weeks.

Legend:
    Normal Text: NFL.com
    Bolded Text: Things I found interesting
    Italicized Text: My personal Notes

DE
    Derrick Harvey - Compares To: JEVON KEARSE-Philadelphia...Harvey might be too tall to shift to outside linebacker at the next level, but there is no question that he has the speed to play there. Despite his lanky frame, he is much more than just an edge rusher, evident by the fact that opponents were held to minus-28 yards on 47 running plays in his area last year. He needs to add more bulk to his frame, but 19.5 sacks and 30 stops for losses over his last two seasons vs. 300-plus pound offensive linemen are evidence that proves he has the power and avoidance skills to pressure the pocket on a consistent basis. Put him in a system like Dallas uses with Anthony Spencer and Greg Ellis and Harvey could develop into an Adalius Thomas-type who is best when allowed to roam the field.
    Interesting. IMO exactly what we need. Is the Cover 2 too rigid to allow a guy like him to roam?

Philip Merling - Compares To: JUSTIN TUCK-New York Giants...Both defensive ends will make a nice living coming off the edge. They have impressive size, though Merling is best playing on the move to utilize a sudden initial step to slip past blocks. He is not a good stack-and-control type and must do a better job of protecting himself from low blocks, but he is quick to provide outside run contain and shows a quick swim-and-spin move that generally gets him into the backfield to pressure the pocket. He won't read and react in an instant, but has closing speed to seal the deal, even in long pursuit, once he locates the ball. He has to improve his lower-body strength, but there is enough athletic ability there to get by as his body continues to mature.
    Merling is the guy that has me most confused this draft. Is he actually good? I doubt it, but sinppets like these make me reconsider.

Quentin Groves - Compares To: DeMARCUS WARE-Dallas...Much like the Chargers' Shawne Merriman and Ware, Groves has that explosive quickness and outstanding suddenness to wreak havoc in the backfield. He is a perfect fit for a hybrid outside linebacker/rush end position in a 3-4 defensive scheme and like Merriman and Ware, he could thrive if allowed to play in a stand-up position. He was having a banner senior campaign before dislocating several toes, but with his balance and body control, along with lateral movement, he should have no problems adjusting to playing off the line. With so much emphasis on pressuring the pocket and getting to the quarterback in the NFL, there is no other player in this draft that can match Groves' pass rushing ability.
    Sigh, he is certainly light for a 4-3 DE, but he sounds like exactly what we need other than that.

Calais Campbell - Compares To: JULIUS PEPPERS-Carolina...Campbell is the same type of player. He has the long reach and good explosion off the ball to demand constant double-team activity in attempts to block him. The losses seemed to wear on him late in his junior year and while 2007 could be labeled as a disappointment for both him and the entire team, he has that rare-sized frame with great athletic talent to be an impact player in the right scheme. He is best when on the move rather than battling in-line for position and, unlike Jaguars' DT John Henderson, a former college defensive end, he does not show the blow-up strength needed to take on multiple blockers as a tackle. He has the frame to get even bigger and stronger. While his size is an asset in certain areas, he does not always keep his pad level down and could be washed out by a strong double team. If his evaluation was based solely on 2006, rather than a less-than-stellar second half of 2007, he will be one of the first defensive ends on every team's draft board.

DT
    Dre Moore - Compares To: KRIS JENKINS-Carolina...Aside from similar Maryland background, both have taken strikingly comparable paths to the National Football League. They're late bloomers in high school who went through growing pains earlier in their college careers. Moore is lighter than the more stout Jenkins, but both have strong bull-rush skills to consistently pressure the pocket. Moore was much more consistent as a senior, as he played with better awareness, a trait that was lacking most of his career. He still needs a tough coach to light the fire, but he has the athletic ability to be a dominant run stuffer if he can keep his head in the game.

CB
    Aqib Talib - Compares To: ANTREL ROLLE-Arizona...Talib is a big, physical cornerback with excellent hands and a good feel for the ball in flight. He brings added value as a receiver, showing good extension, leaping ability and timing to get to the ball at its high point, whether catching or picking off the throw. He has been a bit of a project with coaches working to prod Talib to mature, and he showed signs of maturation as a junior. Like Rolle, he does not have the timed speed you look for to handle the blazing receivers on deep routes and he does gamble more than he should (gives a big cushion), seeing more than 51% of the passes thrown his way get caught by the opposition last year (47-of-92). He needs to continue to show that he can play within the system and let his play do the talking on the field at the next level. No doubt, there is talent in Talib, and he has a chance to be a star if he learns to excel within the confines of a defensive scheme.
    Is 51% bad?

S
    Kenny Philips - Compares To-SEAN TAYLOR-Washington...Like Taylor, Phillips is a very efficient tackler working inside the box, sort of like a linebacker with the way he squares his shoulders and sticks his hat into the action. He has good pass-coverage skills, but can be fooled by the receiver's head fakes or by the play-action in the backfield. He has great confidence in his timed speed and has seen action at cornerback because of it. His body is well-built, but there is still room for additional growth without having the added weight impact his overall quickness. If he is not the first safety taken in the 2008 NFL Draft, it would be a major surprise. He could be a very nice replacement for the late Sean Taylor in Washington's attacking defensive scheme.
    This is just a weak safety draft any way you look at it.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

Re: Defensive Draft Prospects

Groves, Groves, Groves!

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    Groves, Groves, Groves!
    chyeah chyeah chyeah

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

I know your exact SKOL feelings V.
    I love it for looking at lesser known prospects that are hard to find out anything on them.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Trevor Laws, DT Notre Dame

Physical bull rusher who plays with a non-stop motor...Has a sudden burst off the snap and is constantly working his hands to gain position in attempts to split double teams...Plays at a low pad level, showing the lateral range to make plays down the line...Has the functional speed to pressure the pocket and takes good angles to close once he gains penetration...Despite his size, he would be a nice fit for the three-technique due to his natural quickness flowing to the ball, hand placement and lower-body strength that he uses to get off the snap to collapse the pocket...

When he chases from sideline to sideline, he refuses to give up on a play...Has some problems getting through traffic, but gives good chase from the back side...Does best on twists and games as a pass rusher and can generate a surge on the pocket...Does a nice job of getting his hands up to deflect passes or block kicks...

He shifted to left defensive end,leading the team with a career-high 112 tackles (53) , as he was the only down lineman to rank among the nation's top 100-tackle producers in the major college ranks during 2007.
    Is this guy our surprise pick...much like Kevin Williams.
    We could move back in the first, or up in the 2nd.
    Fills the need at LDE and provides depth behind the Williams too.
    The biggest knock on the guy is size, but 6'1" 305 lbs isn't so small, and all the blocked kicks say something about what he can do to make up for it.

The other thing I like is his experience in a 3-4.
    Laws Pat Kevin would be a pretty nice front 3.
    Opening up the oppurtunity to put a faster guy either into coverage or pass rush from OLB.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"mountainviking" wrote:

Physical bull rusher who plays with a non-stop motor...Has a sudden burst off the snap and is constantly working his hands to gain position in attempts to split double teams...Plays at a low pad level, showing the lateral range to make plays down the line...Has the functional speed to pressure the pocket and takes good angles to close once he gains penetration...Despite his size, he would be a nice fit for the three-technique due to his natural quickness flowing to the ball, hand placement and lower-body strength that he uses to get off the snap to collapse the pocket...

When he chases from sideline to sideline, he refuses to give up on a play...Has some problems getting through traffic, but gives good chase from the back side...Does best on twists and games as a pass rusher and can generate a surge on the pocket...Does a nice job of getting his hands up to deflect passes or block kicks...

He shifted to left defensive end,leading the team with a career-high 112 tackles (53) , as he was the only down lineman to rank among the nation's top 100-tackle producers in the major college ranks during 2007.
    The biggest knock on the guy is size, but 6'1" 305 lbs isn't so small, and all the blocked kicks say something about what he can do to make up for it.

Opening up the oppurtunity to put a faster guy either into coverage or pass rush from OLB.
    I would love the pick if we where moving to the 3-4

"DustinDupont" wrote:
    "mountainviking" wrote:

I would love the pick if we where moving to the 3-4
    i still wanna get him, it sucks that BMac is in his situation or we could go DE-DT 1st two picks, he is a beast, i guess we will just have to wait til the 2nd day to get a DT

I think we are in more need of LB depth than safety depth as of now.
    Leber is solid but i think some competition would be welcomed as well as much needed depth.
    Ideally I'd like to see us nab a guy in rounds 2-4 like Adibi, Gooden, or Geno Hayes (or dare I say Henderson Jr.?)

"DiehardVikesFan" wrote:
    I think we are in more need of LB depth than safety depth as of now.
    Leber is solid but i think some competition would be welcomed as well as much needed depth.
    Ideally I'd like to see us nab a guy in rounds 2-4 like Adibi, Gooden, or Geno Hayes (or dare I say Henderson Jr.?)
    EJ
    Greemway
    Leber
    Rufus
    Pope
    Ciuriu
    Farwell
    Startz(sp?)

I think the only way we take LB is if someone drops real far and we just cant pass up on them

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Although i'd like to see a DE taken in the 1st, i wouldn't be disappointed if Keith Rivers slipped to 17 and we picked him up.
    He'd defnietally pust Leber to make some plays, and then eventually take over when Leber's contract is up, or even sooner.
    That could be a very goos linebacker corps with Greenway, Henderson and Rivers.
    The only problem is I think Rivers and Greenway both play weak side linebacker, but i'm sure one of them would be able to move no problem.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast