Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 69
  1. #11
    PurpleTide's Avatar
    PurpleTide is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    3,210

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft


    Don't believe everything you read. You can bet that any personnel decision is made carefully with more than Childress's input. What is the use of having all those scouts and talent evaluators if you don't listen to them when choosing players.

  2. #12
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,539

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "singersp" wrote:
    "digital420" wrote:
    i can see Marr now... convulsing as he readz this thread/page..

    my 2 cents.. Bchill might have the say on what kinda player we want.. (position, level ect. )


    the scouts, and mr. B do the player examinations.. deciding on top talent/person desired. then handed over to the big B for contract decisions.. so .. i'd agree if you said Bchill starts the processes.. and then maybe guides it but i don't see him having real sole power here.


    DiGiTaL

    I don't think Mr. B does the player examinations per se. He is the money whiz & works the contract side of it.
    hmm.. i wrote that wrong.. i ment. the scouts (Spiel + team) and Mr. B.. where as Mr. B would be defining what can be done contract wise.. what we have space wise so that the calibar (or price tag) of a player IS part of the equation.

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  3. #13
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    First, New Marrdro never gets upset.
    He just giggles to himself over things like this.

    Second, who you gonna believe, some yutz from ESPN or a yutz from, well yahoo?

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d3265706

    NFC: Who's calling the shots?

    Minnesota Vikings

    Owner Zygi Wilf is active in day-to-day operations, but vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman is probably the one member of this organization who has the most say on personnel decisions. Several people have voices in the Vikings' front office, including head coach Brad Childress, whose power has diminished slightly since his arrival. Director of college scouting Scott Studwell has a lot of say in the draft process. As evidenced by its selection of Adrian Peterson last year, this staff isn't afraid to take the best player on the board regardless of a particular need.
    Obviously the guy doesn't have a clue about the triangle of authority and how it works.
    Maybe he should take some hints from the ESPN writer who actually covers sports for a living instead of....., well, providing email to people.

    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  4. #14
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "digital420" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    "digital420" wrote:
    i can see Marr now... convulsing as he readz this thread/page..

    my 2 cents.. Bchill might have the say on what kinda player we want.. (position, level ect. )


    the scouts, and mr. B do the player examinations.. deciding on top talent/person desired. then handed over to the big B for contract decisions.. so .. i'd agree if you said Bchill starts the processes.. and then maybe guides it but i don't see him having real sole power here.


    DiGiTaL

    I don't think Mr. B does the player examinations per se. He is the money whiz & works the contract side of it.
    hmm.. i wrote that wrong.. i ment. the scouts (Spiel + team) and Mr. B.. where as Mr. B would be defining what can be done contract wise.. what we have space wise so that the calibar (or price tag) of a player IS part of the equation.
    See, even you guys know more than the yahoo yutz.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  5. #15
    digital420's Avatar
    digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    Ancient Korinthia
    Posts
    2,539

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    First, New Marrdro never gets upset.
    He just giggles to himself over things like this.

    Second, who you gonna believe, some yutz from ESPN or a yutz from, well yahoo?

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d3265706

    NFC: Who's calling the shots?

    Minnesota Vikings

    Owner Zygi Wilf is active in day-to-day operations, but vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman is probably the one member of this organization who has the most say on personnel decisions. Several people have voices in the Vikings' front office, including head coach Brad Childress, whose power has diminished slightly since his arrival. Director of college scouting Scott Studwell has a lot of say in the draft process. As evidenced by its selection of Adrian Peterson last year, this staff isn't afraid to take the best player on the board regardless of a particular need.
    Obviously the guy doesn't have a clue about the triangle of authority and how it works.
    Maybe he should take some hints from the ESPN writer who actually covers sports for a living instead of....., well, providing email to people.
    ;D

    we gotta switch marr's med's with caffeine pills... they are making him 2 relaxed..

    DiGiTaL

    "We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

  6. #16
    singersp's Avatar
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    52,216

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    First, New Marrdro never gets upset.
    He just giggles to himself over things like this.

    Second, who you gonna believe, some yutz from ESPN or a yutz from, well yahoo?

    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/insid...3fid%3d3265706

    NFC: Who's calling the shots?

    Minnesota Vikings

    Owner Zygi Wilf is active in day-to-day operations, but vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman is probably the one member of this organization who has the most say on personnel decisions. Several people have voices in the Vikings' front office, including head coach Brad Childress, whose power has diminished slightly since his arrival. Director of college scouting Scott Studwell has a lot of say in the draft process. As evidenced by its selection of Adrian Peterson last year, this staff isn't afraid to take the best player on the board regardless of a particular need.
    Obviously the guy doesn't have a clue about the triangle of authority and how it works.
    Maybe he should take some hints from the ESPN writer who actually covers sports for a living instead of....., well, providing email to people.
    ;D
    Or some [s]yutz[/s] poster on PP.O?

    :P

    "If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

  7. #17
    mblack76's Avatar
    mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    412

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "singersp" wrote:
    So let me get this straight........Foley isn't the one that chose T-Jack?
    That is a tough question. Foley was sent packing cos he could not work with Chilly and they had disagreements before and during the draft on certain players and draft board. The draft procedure was later defined so as the responsibilities of the TOA when Spielman came on board.
    We all remember during he 2006 draft how Chilly and some wanted the players drafted in a certain order/ certain players while Foley had other ideas. After listening to several Spielman interviews, it was obvious he makes the final decision and he is always in constant communication with Chilly.

  8. #18
    Marrdro's Avatar
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    43,899

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "mblack76" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    So let me get this straight........Foley isn't the one that chose T-Jack?
    That is a tough question. Foley was sent packing cos he could not work with Chilly and they had disagreements before and during the draft on certain players and draft board. The draft procedure was later defined so as the responsibilities of the TOA when Spielman came on board.
    We all remember during he 2006 draft how Chilly and some wanted the players drafted in a certain order/ certain players while Foley had other ideas. After listening to several Spielman interviews, it was obvious he makes the final decision and he is always in constant communication with Chilly.
    I really believe that the triangle had 3 QB's targeted that year, (Cutler, Clemens, TJ).
    Of course most of us agree that the asking price was to high for Cutler, but the whole way that the Clemens loss unfolded is what I believed to the screaming/shouting matches that went on during the draft.

    Foley flat out screwed the pooch by not knowing that the Jets also were targeting Clemens to the point that they might move up to get him ahead of us shortly after we took Griffin.

    At that point the only QB left on the board that fit our scheme (IMHO) was TJ.

    (No Z, I'm not gonna post all the links again.
    ;D)

    Spielman, The Chiller (Frazier), Bryzcheapski, Studwell and Paton, all seem to work pretty well together now.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

  9. #19
    mblack76's Avatar
    mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    412

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "mblack76" wrote:
    "singersp" wrote:
    So let me get this straight........Foley isn't the one that chose T-Jack?
    That is a tough question. Foley was sent packing cos he could not work with Chilly and they had disagreements before and during the draft on certain players and draft board. The draft procedure was later defined so as the responsibilities of the TOA when Spielman came on board.
    We all remember during he 2006 draft how Chilly and some wanted the players drafted in a certain order/ certain players while Foley had other ideas. After listening to several Spielman interviews, it was obvious he makes the final decision and he is always in constant communication with Chilly.
    I really believe that the triangle had 3 QB's targeted that year, (Cutler, Clemens, TJ).
    Of course most of us agree that the asking price was to high for Cutler, but the whole way that the Clemens loss unfolded is what I believed to the screaming/shouting matches that went on during the draft.

    Foley flat out screwed the pooch by not knowing that the Jets also were targeting Clemens to the point that they might move up to get him ahead of us shortly after we took Griffin.

    At that point the only QB left on the board that fit our scheme (IMHO) was TJ.

    (No Z, I'm not gonna post all the links again.
    ;D)

    Spielman, The Chiller (Frazier), Bryzcheapski, Studwell and Paton, all seem to work pretty well together now.
    True. I remember hearing that a lil while after the draft and the Clemens loss forced the T-Jack trade up as there was word a few other teams had made 'serious' inquiries.
    "After the draft, there were two clubs that expressed disappointment and were mad they didn't get him. They were planning to take (Jackson) very high in the third round, and were lamenting the fact that the Vikings beat them".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarvaris_Jackson

  10. #20
    Zeus's Avatar
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Minnesota.
    Posts
    23,937

    Re: Decision makers with most influence over draft

    "Marrdro" wrote:
    Foley flat out screwed the pooch by not knowing that the Jets also were targeting Clemens to the point that they might move up to get him ahead of us shortly after we took Griffin.
    And right after that, the Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, the Great Pumpkin and Dick Nixon jumped out and served a very nice surf and turf to the assembled staff in the War Room.

    =Z=

    Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Frazier: A calming influence for the Vikings
    By singersp in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-30-2008, 08:55 AM
  2. Team-by-team decision-makers
    By aaeyers in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-2008, 04:17 PM
  3. MOVED: Decision makers with most influence over draft
    By ultravikingfan in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 01:06 AM
  4. Andy Reid / Mormon influence on the Vikings...?
    By norsefan1 in forum Vikings Fan Forum
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-12-2007, 01:30 AM
  5. 9 guys who could influence '06 season
    By Prophet in forum General NFL Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-19-2006, 04:25 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •