jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

This is the DE we should take in the draft!

This guy is the next Jared Allen/Aaron Kampmann:

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/br...hnston?id=4259

he San Diego native was the only Championship Subdivision (formerly I-AA) player on the Ted Hendricks Award list in 2007, which also includes FBS standouts such as George Selvie (South Florida), Chris Long (Virginia), Calais Campbell (Miami), Tyson Jackson (Louisiana State) and Lawrence Jackson (Southern California).

At Madison High School, Johnston earned first-team All-Harbor League honors as a defensive end during his senior season. A member of the San Diego Union-Tribune All-Academic Team and a High School Heisman nominee, he added All-League accolades as a junior on the defensive line. He finished his final season with 82 total tackles (30 solo), 10 sacks and 13 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also deflected six passes and caused four fumbles.
    And in college...
    The Hendricks Award and Buchanan Award finalist continued to wreak havoc in the opposition's backfield as a senior. He recorded 74 tackles (34 solo) with six sacks and ranked third nationally with 24 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also deflected three passes, caused a fumble and experienced every defender's dream - playing on offense and catching a 3-yard TD pass.

Granted he is a small school player, but he was offered scholarships to DI programs and his measurables (a 4.68 40) stack up well against his peers.
    Drafting him in the 3rd or 4th round allows us to draft that OT we are realizing we need and use the 2nd rounder on a S or DT.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

Re: This is the DE we should take in the draft!

Interesting read...thanks

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I am in favor of taking 2 DEs in the draft and this guy is an option they should consider

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/brian-johnston?id=4259

His first lesson is that he cannot overpower NFL offensive tackles on a consistent basis. This might have worked at his level of competition, but not in the NFL, where tackles are much bigger and stronger. Johnston is a good leverage player who can hold his ground on the edge, but because of size issues, he is inconsistent in attempts to split double teams. With his ability to play on his feet and the flexibility he shows coming off the corner, he will get to the quarterback often, if not asked to play every down.

We already have 2 DEs like this.
    Remember these #'s were against lessor competition. His sacks aren't there and his takle @ will be lower against better comp. I say no thank you.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:

His first lesson is that he cannot overpower NFL offensive tackles on a consistent basis. This might have worked at his level of competition, but not in the NFL, where tackles are much bigger and stronger. Johnston is a good leverage player who can hold his ground on the edge, but because of size issues, he is inconsistent in attempts to split double teams. With his ability to play on his feet and the flexibility he shows coming off the corner, he will get to the quarterback often, if not asked to play every down.

Remember these #'s were against lessor competition. His sacks aren't there and his takle @ will be lower against better comp. I say no thank you.

Making comments like that will get you in trouble with the crowd that think a DE is a DE is a DE. Heck for that matter, they just need to let him work out with the vets.
    They'll fix those issues.
    (JK couldn't resist ;D)

At 6'5, 270ish he has the frame to and weight to be an everydown DE on either side.
    I would get him in the weight room and work on his conditioning as well as have the position coaches work on his first step and use of his hands to beat those double teams.

I like him JK.

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

jkjuggalo is offline Star Spokesman

"kevoncox" wrote:

Not many players play every down anyway, and I doubt that he would be expected to as a rookie.
    He could be a situational pass-rusher from the LDE spot as he learns the techniques and subtleties of being a pro DE.
    Who cares if he can't consistently split double teams?
    With the Williams Bros. in the middle he wouldn't be seeing a lot of them anyway.
    Picking DEs in the first hasn't worked for us yet, so maybe one of these mid-round guys would break the cycle of disappointment.
    Rock out with your cock out!!!