Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DE Ray Edwards

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

DE Ray Edwards

Out of Purdue we just picked DE Ray Edwards..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Re: DE Ray Edwards

Never heard of him.. Simon must be happy.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

I don't care no more. From da moment we got Ryan Cook, dis draft has gone down da toilet bowl. Reaches, wasted picks, questionable trades, bah! Fran Fooey is a joik, y'know?

Ray Edwards
    DE | (6'4", 273, 4.82) | PURDUE

Scouts Grade: 70 Selected by: Minnesota Vikings
    Round: 4
    Pick (Overall): 30(127)

Strengths: Possesses a very good frame and long arms. Shows room left on his frame to increase his bulk. Naturally athletic DE prospect who shows enough fluidity to possibly fit as a 3-4 OLB. Shows explosive pass rush potential and should only improve with more experience and coaching. He is smooth for his size. Shows very good COD skills. Possesses adequate initial quickness and good top end speed, especially for his size. He shows the ability to turn the corner with good balance as a pass rusher and he possesses above average closing burst to the QB. He is a fluid athlete for the position and has proven capable of dropping in coverage in certain situations. He is at his best in space versus the run. Is a decent open-field tackler. Shows the ability to chase down the run from behind when he's giving good effort. Possesses adequate-to-good upper body power, which gives him the potential to improve his array of pass rush moves and also to become more effective taking on blocks versus the run if he can improve his technique.

Weaknesses: Is still a bit lean. Must improve his overall bulk and strength. Has not learned to properly use his hands in order to keep off of blocks. Plays too erect and allows OT's to get into his body too easily. Possesses a narrow base and will look like he's on skates when he doesn't play with leverage versus the run. Lacks ideal recognition skills. Will get too far upfield and take himself out of plays occasionally. Also takes too long to find the ball carrier and will struggle to disengage quickly enough. Must become more consistent versus the run. Must also improve his array of pass rush moves. He can be dominant at times but will disappear at others. Needs to play with more consistency.

Overall: Edwards played in all 13 games at defensive end as a true freshman in 2003, when he finished with 10 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss and 2.5 sacks. He had a breakout sophomore season in 2004, when started all 12 games and piled up 45 tackles, 11 TFL and eight sacks. Edwards started all 11 games at RDE for the Boilermakers as a junior in 2005 and finished with 28 tackles, 11 TFL, 5.5 sacks and one interception. Edwards is a rangy, athletically gifted rush-end prospect that flashed a good deal of playmaking ability during his three seasons at Purdue. He is fluid enough to potentially spend some time dropping into coverage as a 3-4 OLB type and he also has the room on his frame to bulk up and improve his strength in order to play a more traditional DE role in a 4-3 alignment. Edwards had his best season as a sophomore in 2004 but regressed a bit during his junior season, which is why his decision to turn pro was a bit surprising. In fact, Edwards wasn't even the best defensive lineman on his team in 2005, as the far less talented DE Rob Ninkovich provided far more production. The team that drafts Edwards will need to be patient with him in order to give him the necessary time to improve his bulk, get stronger and polish his technique. However, Edwards' upside is great enough to warrant late-second round consideration in the 2006 draft.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

ancoin is offline Starter

He is a great pick up. Great pash rusher

Thank to Lotza

norseforce is offline Rookie

I knew I wouldn't know who he is, I totally watch college ball and except for greenway I've been saying WHO our whole draft

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Sweet we got a player with talent who doesn't play hard and was supposed to be a rookie FA :roll:. I mean I don't necessarily have a problem with these players, but do we have to reach for ALL of the (Except Greenway)

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Sweet we got a player with talent who doesn't play hard and was supposed to be a rookie FA :roll:. I mean I don't necessarily have a problem with these players, but do we have to reach for ALL of the (Except Greenway)
    You bet! Dat's Fran Fooey's secret weapon. He's an idiot!
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

What u talking about, Ray Edwards is worth a late 4 rounder..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

sirweeze is offline Starter

CANCEL THE SEASON

VIKINGS = 0-16

WORST DRAFT IN RECORDED HISTORY

Come on, guys.

Dwags is offline Training Camp

He seems like a decent pick up for the bottom of the fourth round. Most of the weaknesses listed seem correctable through coaching, and he had decent numbers. I don't think this is as much of a reach as Jackson was, and perhaps cook

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast