Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Draft winnners and losers

"Vikes_King" wrote:
    [size=12pt]NFL draft winners and losers[/size]

NEW YORK – NFL commissioner Roger Goodell promised a “new, streamlined” first round, and when 31 selections were made in just three hours and 30 minutes Saturday, he clearly delivered.

WINNER: Minnesota

In trading a first-round and two third-round picks last week to Kansas City, the Vikings assured themselves a fairly quiet first day of the draft. They wound up stealing highly-regarded defensive back Tyrell Johnson of Arkansas State in the second round, but that was it.

However, landing All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen gave Minnesota a major boost and put the Vikes in position as the team to beat in the NFC North. There was no way they were going to get anyone the value of Allen – who had 15½ sacks last year – with those picks.

Rather than a draft party, owner Zygi Wilf threw a party for the signing of Allen, and thousands of fans showed up.

For a team that needed a pass rush and help in the secondary, the week couldn’t have gone much better.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-winnerslosers042608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    I think this is the opposite. I have our draft rated as a D.
    Allen is a huge signing and I consider him our first round pick. However, moving up to draft a saftey was foolish. There was no need to move up. The difference between this guy and Dajuan Wagner was is minimal

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

NEW YORK – NFL commissioner Roger Goodell promised a “new, streamlined” first round, and when 31 selections were made in just three hours and 30 minutes Saturday, he clearly delivered.

In trading a first-round and two third-round picks last week to Kansas City, the Vikings assured themselves a fairly quiet first day of the draft. They wound up stealing highly-regarded defensive back Tyrell Johnson of Arkansas State in the second round, but that was it.

However, landing All-Pro defensive end Jared Allen gave Minnesota a major boost and put the Vikes in position as the team to beat in the NFC North. There was no way they were going to get anyone the value of Allen – who had 15½ sacks last year – with those picks.

Rather than a draft party, owner Zygi Wilf threw a party for the signing of Allen, and thousands of fans showed up.

For a team that needed a pass rush and help in the secondary, the week couldn’t have gone much better.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=dw-winnerslosers042608&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
    Allen is a huge signing and I consider him our first round pick. However, moving up to draft a saftey was foolish. There was no need to move up. The difference between this guy and Dajuan Wagner was is minimal
    Yea, them guys on ESPN and NFLN are all yutz's as well.
    To think they gave us props so far.
    ;D

Hang in there my friend.
    It is getting better.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

;D

Hang in there my friend.
    It is getting better.
    We didn't need help in the secondary. We have a player that is getting older but we could address that need in a future draft or FA. However, QB is still a hit or miss. Wr is still a hit or miss. TE is still a miss. Like I said, we are getting too smart ofr our own good. I might as well break out the Dolphins gear. We are the new dolphins.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

Johnson was a highly rated player and can contribute on the first play of the first game on special teams and roll into the secondary rotation in the same game.
    Best player available, adds depth to a need, doesn't need to hold a clipboard or grooming to play the position at this level.
    If this is foolish I'm hoping for more April fools fun today ;D

DustinDupont is offline Team Alumni

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

To have our draft rated as a D is foolish... we got Allen thats like an A+, feels a huge need. Then we got Tyrell Johnson
    who will be a
    big time special teams player, he will learn from one of the best in Sharper, then take over his spot in a couple in a year. I would give them a B+ on the pick. So no way has are draft been a D...

And how do you know there was no need to move up?? we obviously really liked him and Chicago had him come in for a visit.. so how do you know the bears wouldnt take him?? It just shows how much we wanted the guy, and with him being ranked 17th on our board, the pick was great value.

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

"kevoncox" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    "Vikes_King" wrote:

;D

Hang in there my friend.
    It is getting better.
    We didn't need help in the secondary. We have a player that is getting older but we could address that need in a future draft or FA. However, QB is still a hit or miss. Wr is still a hit or miss. TE is still a miss. Like I said, we are getting too smart ofr our own good. I might as well break out the Dolphins gear. We are the new dolphins.
    you are the ass-man kevon cox

How about giving Shiancoe another offseason to learn a system that he had never played in before..

If you pick a quarterback you are going to wait another 2-4 years in order for him to be ready to play at an NFL level..

You want to go to the superbowl now?, where the team is ready for something big or blow it by starting another rebuilding process that we just have been in?..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

From the article:

WINNER: Baltimore Ravens

The Ravens needed a quarterback. They wanted Matt Ryan to slide to them at No. 8. But that didn’t happen when Atlanta took the Boston College product with the third pick.

Plan B was Joe Flacco of Delaware. He wasn’t worth drafting at No. 8, and there was no threat someone else would grab him – plus, why get stuck paying more money? So the Falcons dropped to 28th, then sprung back up to 18th and at the end of the day got the guy they wanted, for less money, and wound up with extra third- and fourth-round selections to boot. (They lost a sixth-rounder, but whatever).

That’s fine draft maneuvering.
    Baltimore was not a winner on day one.
    Fact is, the Ravens stumbled around the draft board like a sorority girl, too drunk to know what they were doing and not smart enough to regret it later.

First, they couldn't get up to the #2 spot and get the guy they really wanted, Matt Ryan.
    That's not their fault, because they reportedly offered a great deal to the Rams and got turned down.
    But it was bad news anyway, because they had apparently only scouted one other player in this draft.

When the Ravens realized they weren't going to get their guy, they decided they had to trade down.
    Except they got absolutely owned on the trade.
    Sure, they got 3 extra picks, but according to any chart, this was the most lopsided trade in at least the past 3 years.

But not only was the trade terrible in terms of value, it was also terrible because they traded down so far that they didn't think they could get the guy they wanted/needed.
    The result is that they had to trade back up, costing them one of the 3rd rounders they had received to move down originally.
    In the end, they netted 260 points on the standard chart by moving back from 8 to 18, two picks that are separated by 500 points on the chart.

Finally, the real kicker is that Chiefs paid more to move from 17 to 15 than the Ravens got moving from 8 to 18.
    The Chiefs gave up a better 3rd round pick than the Ravens ended up with, and also got a 5th round pick.
    Is there anyone that believes the Chiefs wouldn't have offered that same deal to move up to 8?

But at the end of the day the press decided they were a 'winner' because they needed a QB so badly and they drafted one high.
    It's a sexy pick.
    I don't know how the guy will actually turn out, but they're still losers in my book for their pitiful trade.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=44454.0

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Day 1 winners and losers

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "cajunvike" wrote:
    I didn't like the Johnson pick at first...but since some mock drafts early on had the Vikes taking Kenny Phillips, the Johnson pick actually looks like it made sense.
    The Vikes got the second best rated Safety in the draft...in the mid second round.
    Not too bad in retrospect. (Though I still wanted them to take Doucet...who will see extensive time on the field as a rookie for whichever team he gets drafted by)
    Good stuff my friend.

Maybe your boy will plummet a bit and we will get him in the 5th.
    (Best I can do for you.)
    ;D
    You should of done better Marr! He went to Arizona ;D

Chazz is offline Coordinator

Re: Day 1 winners and losers

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Th Dolphins had a hugely successful day by getting Long,Merling and Henne which has the potential to anchor their lines and lead the offense in 3 consecutive picks.
    The Tuna put on a clinic on how to build a team from the ruins.

They definately look like a team on the rise now. They aquired the 3 most important positions in football on day one.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast