kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Dashon Goldson???

So the 49ers signed M. Williams today and it got me thinking about who he replaces. Their starter last season was Dashon Goldson. Anyone have any info on this guy. Would he be a good fit for us? He is listed as the top 8 in the remaining 40+ NFl Free Agents. I wouldn't be upset if we bring him in.

VikesFan787 is offline Coordinator

Re: Dashon Goldson???

williams replaced him, cant be good.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries

@EvanSilva: Free agent FS Dashon Goldson hints that he'd like to play for the #Cowboys. http://bit.ly/qqrO7v

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1102523
    So the 49ers signed M. Williams today and it got me thinking about who he replaces. Their starter last season was Dashon Goldson. Anyone have any info on this guy. Would he be a good fit for us? He is listed as the top 8 in the remaining 40+ NFl Free Agents. I wouldn't be upset if we bring him in.
    I don't know much about him but I look at it this way:

They replaced him with Williams.
    we got rid of Williams because he was not good.

Based on that I cannot see him being an upgrade to Williams and thus I have no interest.

Jarlvik is offline Rookie

He may not be the player Williams was in his prime (I think the neck injury took its toll), but he would be an upgrade to what we have now.

For what it's worth, here's ESPNs "Expert Take" on Goldson:
    Grade 78
    Expert's Take Goldson is a good sized safety that the 49rs drafted in the fourth round of the 2007 draft and has worked his way up to a starting role over the past two seasons. In 2010 he played in and started all 16 games and finished the season with 80 total tackles, second highest on the team, along with a single QB sack and an interception. He has good speed, quickness and agility for the position and is a good open field tackler that allows him to play the last man on defense in their scheme effectively. He shows good route recognition and can read the quarterback's eyes from off coverage but is not a natural ball hawk and can be a bit inconsistent playing the ball when in position. He can open his hips to turn and run or plant and drive on the ball when transitioning out of his back pedal.

I would also consider looking at Donte Whitner:

Grade 82
    Expert's Take Whitner's durability over his career has been somewhat of a question mark. He is a short safety but packs a punch in run support. He runs the alleys well in run support. He is more of a straight-line player. Whitner is at his best attacking downhill toward the line of scrimmage. He is a little stiff in his hips, which hinders him in coverage and as a one-on-one player in space.

I hope Frazier is right about the guys we have now, but I'm not too confident. We'll see.
    None

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "VikesFan787" #1102572
    williams replaced him, cant be good.
    My thoughts

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

That's that Madden logic for you.
    What if he doesn't fit their scheme? His asking price was too high and Williams wasn't? Personality clash with the new coaching staff? What if they wanted him back but he doesn't like the West Coast? All these are issues why he might not have been resigned. Hell we replaced Moss with Trow Williamson. We replaced Birk with Sullivan. Replacement doesn't always mean better.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by "Jarlvik" #1102645
    He may not be the player Williams was in his prime (I think the neck injury took its toll), but he would be an upgrade to what we have now.

For what it's worth, here's ESPNs "Expert Take" on Goldson:
    Grade 78
    Expert's Take Goldson is a good sized safety that the 49rs drafted in the fourth round of the 2007 draft and has worked his way up to a starting role over the past two seasons. In 2010 he played in and started all 16 games and finished the season with 80 total tackles, second highest on the team, along with a single QB sack and an interception. He has good speed, quickness and agility for the position and is a good open field tackler that allows him to play the last man on defense in their scheme effectively. He shows good route recognition and can read the quarterback's eyes from off coverage but is not a natural ball hawk and can be a bit inconsistent playing the ball when in position. He can open his hips to turn and run or plant and drive on the ball when transitioning out of his back pedal.

I would also consider looking at Donte Whitner:

Grade 82
    Expert's Take Whitner's durability over his career has been somewhat of a question mark. He is a short safety but packs a punch in run support. He runs the alleys well in run support. He is more of a straight-line player. Whitner is at his best attacking downhill toward the line of scrimmage. He is a little stiff in his hips, which hinders him in coverage and as a one-on-one player in space.

I hope Frazier is right about the guys we have now, but I'm not too confident. We'll see.
    I've wanted Whitner for awhile ever since Buffalo spoke about not bringing him back in the spring. I think he could provide a huge boost to our secondary.

Mpalac4 is offline Training Camp

Totally agree on taking a look at Donte Whitner
    None