Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Dibbzz is offline Starter

Re: Darrius Heyward-Bey

If DHB falls to us at #22 I say take him. Everyone says he only has speed working for him. And what, Harvin only has his catching ability working for him? Besides, Bey has more of an upside than Harvin does and doesn't have the durability issues. Either way if we're going to get/draft a wideout we're going to get one that's fast anyway. Like the previous poster mentioned he had a good pro day and we are inviting him here for a private workout so the chances of us drafting him are decent. If we do get him I'm going to be stoked at our chances for a deep playoff run next season with homerun threat to give A.D. some breathing room. Can't wait to see all the bitching that goes on around here if we do get him. Troy Williamson? Are you fucking serious?

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

"Dibbzz" wrote:
    If DHB falls to us at #22 I say take him. Everyone says he only has speed working for him. And what, Harvin isn't a speed threat? Besides, Bey has more of an upside than Harvin does and doesn't have the durability issues. Either way if we're going to get/draft a wideout we're going to get one that's fast anyway. Like the previous poster mentioned he had a good pro day and we are inviting him here for a private workout so the chances of us drafting him are decent. If we do get him I'm going to be stoked at our chances for a deep playoff run next season with homerun threat to give A.D. some breathing room. Can't wait to see all the bitching that goes on around here if we do get him. Troy Williamson? Are you fucking serious?
    So you think Berrian is not a home run threat? They're entirely too similar, one being an established receiver, one being a raw speed player. So what if he had a good workout? Everything is easier in practice, I bet Williamson caught everything at practice. When there's people hitting you, hitting the person throwing to you, a limited amount of time to execute, and millions watching, it's a bit more difficult that a group of 25 scouts.

I don't think Heyward-Bey, or Harvin fit the type of receiver we need. We need a big, strong, possession type receiver. I've stated many times that I think Kenny Britt is a perfect fit. While I admit I am not an impartial judge of him. Hakeem Nicks and Robsikie are other good alternatives. I like Nicks for all the same reasons I like Britt, but just not as much. And Robiskie is a true student of the game, has excellent hands, and is fundamentally great.

Heyward-Bey displays speed... and that's about it. I won't go into comparing him and Harvin, but they are completely different players.

Speed is great, but if it's not a "plus" to a package, it means squat. But if speed is all you've got, run track.

LiGHTZzOuT is offline Waterboy

"Å*nowbowler" wrote:
    "gabe_menendez" wrote:
    This guys reminds me way to much of troy williamson... That raw speed... he will be a bust if we get him.
    Are you seriously calling him the next Troy Williamson because he's fast?
    Unless he had a bad habit of dropping passes in college, saying that he will be a bust because he's fast is absolutely rediculous.
    Yeah because DeSean Jackson was obviously a bust because he is way too fast.
    Any Vikings Fans That Play Xbox Live Add Me.
    VvLiGHTZzOuTvV

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"LiGHTZzOuT" wrote:
    "Å*nowbowler" wrote:
    "gabe_menendez" wrote:
    This guys reminds me way to much of troy williamson... That raw speed... he will be a bust if we get him.
    Unless he had a bad habit of dropping passes in college, saying that he will be a bust because he's fast is absolutely rediculous.
    Yeah because DeSean Jackson was obviously a bust because he is way too fast.
    I've already been corrected on this, he does have problems with drops.
    So he could very well be another TWill, probably not to the same degree, but still.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "Å*nowbowler" wrote:
    "gabe_menendez" wrote:
    Heyward-Bey has struggled with drops, at times, throughout his career
    http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/14009577

Inconsistent hands
    http://www.walterfootball.com/pro2009dhb.php

Drops too many 'catchable' balls
    http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?page=grade&id=24694&action=login&appRedirec t=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfldraft%2fdr aft%2ftracker%2fplayer%3fpage%3dgrade%26id%3d24694

but he still drops his fair share of the easy ones
    http://www.nfldraftdog.com/2009_NFL_Draft/Darrius_Heyward_Bey.htm

After the game, Friedgen said Heyward-Bey had apologized for his performance, which included a pair of drops.
    http://blogs.diamondbackonline.com/sports/2008/09/30/bad-day-for-heyward-bey/

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    Here is a video of Heyward Bey, I would hope that those who are intristed will look at the plays have mentioned so that we can udnerstand why we are looking at him. He's an intriging prospect with great talent and speed. What I don't like is the production from a numbers standpoint, its not great but Maryland did have a very good group of WR to spread the ball to.

Check out the plays at the times below:
    7:26
    8:00
    8:30
    8:40

The above plays show his ability to seperate with ease downfield and take it to the house, Bey is a big time playmaker. I would really be intristed in finding out if the droped passes are that big of deal, more importantly I would like some time to spend with the kid. Bey is too much of talent to not look into, he's an intriging prospect, my questions are, does he really drop that many passes, why is his production low, and what his personality like? These are all things we can look into when we have him in for private workouts.

[youtube=425,350]ltm5OV8rTn0[/youtube]

This is another Highlight of him Below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjaBWuo4zA&feature=related
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4Z5eRXOEcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

I said he would be a bust because he only had 800 something yards. ( I dont know exact amount for senior yr) but he didn't do shit really, he was not a 1000 yard reciever. Dont we want one of those.
    Too much talent

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Please pass on him

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    Here is a video of Heyward Bey, I would hope that those who are intristed will look at the plays have mentioned so that we can udnerstand why we are looking at him. He's an intriging prospect with great talent and speed. What I don't like is the production from a numbers standpoint, its not great but Maryland did have a very good group of WR to spread the ball to.

Check out the plays at the times below:
    7:26
    8:00
    8:30
    8:40

The above plays show his ability to seperate with ease downfield and take it to the house, Bey is a big time playmaker. I would really be intristed in finding out if the droped passes are that big of deal, more importantly I would like some time to spend with the kid. Bey is too much of talent to not look into, he's an intriging prospect, my questions are, does he really drop that many passes, why is his production low, and what his personality like? These are all things we can look into when we have him in for private workouts.

[youtube=425,350]ltm5OV8rTn0[/youtube]

This is another Highlight of him Below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyjaBWuo4zA&feature=related
    [youtube=425,350]<object width="425" height="344"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/B4Z5eRXOEcM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
    I felt confident someone was going to do this, even though its completly irrelevant. Troy Williamson and Darius Heyward are too comletely different individuals and attitudes. Its naturaul though once you conect the speed with inconsistent hands to make a non-sense link between the two.

Mentally there is definitly something wrong with Troy, he's obviously got the naturaul talent to be a standout WR if his mental game was up to par. Even though Brad Childress did his best to correct the issue with a talented Troy he showed agressive imaturity in terms of wanting to fight Childress at the 50 yard line.

Bey on the other hand is just beginning his potential, IMO he's a very intristing prospect, is he worth our pick, I'm not convinced due to the amount of good football players that will be availabe. If he's indeed drafted by us I'm will to bet we're going to get a guy with a great work ethic. From what I can tell he's a got a good future and could become an Elite WR in this league, I would need more time with the kid to evaluate his thought process and mental stability before I made a clear judgment on wether thats gonna happen or not. This is probably the reason he was brought in for a workout, hands on, one on one work with the kid. Very young, lots of potential, its unfair to compare him to Troy Williamson.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    "Dibbzz" wrote:
    If DHB falls to us at #22 I say take him. Everyone says he only has speed working for him. And what, Harvin isn't a speed threat? Besides, Bey has more of an upside than Harvin does and doesn't have the durability issues. Either way if we're going to get/draft a wideout we're going to get one that's fast anyway. Like the previous poster mentioned he had a good pro day and we are inviting him here for a private workout so the chances of us drafting him are decent. If we do get him I'm going to be stoked at our chances for a deep playoff run next season with homerun threat to give A.D. some breathing room. Can't wait to see all the bitching that goes on around here if we do get him. Troy Williamson? Are you fricken serious?
    So you think Berrian is not a home run threat? They're entirely too similar, one being an established receiver, one being a raw speed player. So what if he had a good workout? Everything is easier in practice, I bet Williamson caught everything at practice. When there's people hitting you, hitting the person throwing to you, a limited amount of time to execute, and millions watching, it's a bit more difficult that a group of 25 scouts.

I don't think Heyward-Bey, or Harvin fit the type of receiver we need. We need a big, strong, possession type receiver. I've stated many times that I think Kenny Britt is a perfect fit. While I admit I am not an impartial judge of him. Hakeem Nicks and Robsikie are other good alternatives. I like Nicks for all the same reasons I like Britt, but just not as much. And Robiskie is a true student of the game, has excellent hands, and is fundamentally great.

Heyward-Bey displays speed... and that's about it. I won't go into comparing him and Harvin, but they are completely different players.

Speed is great, but if it's not a "plus" to a package, it means squat. But if speed is all you've got, run track.
    You make some really good points in your post, especailly about other WR's that are likely to be available. Robiskie is a guy I'm getting more and more intristed in, he's a polished WR that is likely to make an immediate impact, a coaches son, hard worker, wants to get better, could be a tremendous value in the 2nd round, if his 40-Time was more friendly I think he could be a first rounder.

One thing I wanted to adress though is that Heyward is a speed only guy, I think he's a football player. When I see what I can, I view him as guy with tremendous open field running ability, he's a serious weapon on reverses and screen plays, and a serious YAC type WR who can also go deep on anyone. Mayock said that during his Pro Day workout his hands were extremely good and route running was crisp. Some of the other things I see with him is a guy who can jump, he can locate the ball and attack it at the highest point and come down with it, he's a fighter, he'll fight the DB for the football, agresive and physical. They like to run the ball in Maryland, he likes to block, could use some more work but at 21 this guy has a tremendous upside. Again I would like to know more about mental state, so far so good from what I can tell. Good character and hard worker. The production and inconsistent hands are of some concern but the upside is fantastic.

I would take him in a heartbeat if the feeling was good about the mental state. He's a guy that again has great upside, he's very young and has time to develop his skills and can be a complete football palyer, route running and getting more routine with his hands are some things he will work on. If he can evolve his game the sky is the limit.

To touch a little more on the Williamson comparison I will say that I had absolutly no intrest in Troy Williamson coming out and was extremly disappointed with the selection when it was made, although I did support it for the likes of being positive instead of negative.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"VikingsTw" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:
    "Dibbzz" wrote:
    If DHB falls to us at #22 I say take him. Everyone says he only has speed working for him. And what, Harvin isn't a speed threat? Besides, Bey has more of an upside than Harvin does and doesn't have the durability issues. Either way if we're going to get/draft a wideout we're going to get one that's fast anyway. Like the previous poster mentioned he had a good pro day and we are inviting him here for a private workout so the chances of us drafting him are decent. If we do get him I'm going to be stoked at our chances for a deep playoff run next season with homerun threat to give A.D. some breathing room. Can't wait to see all the bitching that goes on around here if we do get him. Troy Williamson? Are you fricken serious?

You make some really good points in your post, especailly about other WR's that are likely to be available. Robiskie is a guy I'm getting more and more intristed in, he's a polished WR that is likely to make an immediate impact, a coaches son, hard worker, wants to get better, could be a tremendous value in the 2nd round, if his 40-Time was more friendly I think he could be a first rounder.

One thing I wanted to adress though is that Heyward is a speed only guy, I think he's a football player. When I see what I can, I view him as guy with tremendous open field running ability, he's a serious weapon on reverses and screen plays, and a serious YAC type WR who can also go deep on anyone. Mayock said that during his Pro Day workout his hands were extremely good and route running was crisp. Some of the other things I see with him is a guy who can jump, he can locate the ball and attack it at the highest point and come down with it, he's a fighter, he'll fight the DB for the football, agresive and physical. They like to run the ball in Maryland, he likes to block, could use some more work but at 21 this guy has a tremendous upside. Again I would like to know more about mental state, so far so good from what I can tell. Good character and hard worker. The production and inconsistent hands are of some concern but the upside is fantastic.

I would take him in a heartbeat if the feeling was good about the mental state. He's a guy that again has great upside, he's very young and has time to develop his skills and can be a complete football palyer, route running and getting more routine with his hands are some things he will work on. If he can evolve his game the sky is the limit.

To touch a little more on the Williamson comparison I will say that I had absolutly no intrest in Troy Williamson coming out and was extremly disappointed with the selection when it was made, although I did support it for the likes of being positive instead of negative.
    I would be ecstatic if he was there in the second round for us, however, I think he will be gone early in the second......

Robiskie that is.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast