Perhaps it's worse than I thought.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6463/daquan-bowers

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: Da'Quan Bowers at the 12th pick?

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1094290

There are just an amazing amount of teams from 12-32 that could really use a defensive end.

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1094290

I was researching this a bit yesterday and had difficulty drawing a conclusion due to so much conflicting information.

It should not be too difficult for the teams physician to determine the risk in this case though. They should be able to get the pre-op Xrays, MRI, and physical exam dictation as well as possible film on the mechanism of injury.

They also would have access to the operative report and possibly a film of the actual procedure where you can see the tear and watch the repair.

They also would have any post surgical notes including, rehab progress, physical exams, and any further testing such as functional evaluations and/or post-op MRI's.

In addition they will have their own physical examination and functional evaluation.

Stats are clear in meniscal tears with microfracture surgery. 15% don't recover. Those with a tear greater than 2cm.(a little less than an inch), isn't a candidate for microfracture surgery, usual recovery is 8 months, and elite atheletes usually aren't as good as they were before the surgery.

His agent said he didn't have microfracture surgery and Dr. Andrews said he should have no post surgical problems.

Dr. Andrews has made no public statements himself that I could find.

One report said Bowers had a previous microsurgery on that knee but I couldn't confirm that.

Bottom line is simple. The medical staff has all the information it needs to make an informed decision.

If his knee is fine, I would be delighted to get him at 12.

If not I would pass.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

If not I would pass.
    exactly, they still need a QB more than a DE though.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1094208
    Umm.. how did you get that? You have no idea what the Vikigns training staff thinks. They cleared AD, as a collarbone break is something that you can easily come back from. A wrecked knee is only a tad bit more idfficult to overcome, and they'll take that into account.
    How did I get what? That I think we have a good medical staff? I think I said it pretty clearly.

Based on the money the owners are spending on cats these days, they probably spend enough on the medical staff to make sure they guys they are signing that they would make sure they have a medical staff that was smart enough to figure out if they are sound.

In that statement, by the by, I never said I new what they were thinking. I just said that if the Vikes draft him I feel comfortable that the medical staff has cleared him and he will be alright.

Again, if they pick Da'Quan, I will be happy with the idea that our medical staff cleared him.
    The thing is, Draft 'experts' don't have medical staffs.
    They run their mock drafts and usually will have less medical experience than people here. In some cases, people here are MUCH more qualified to comment than they are.
    Agree, but I'm talking about a NFL organization called the MN Vikings, not some yutz on a internet site spewing forth drivel in mock drafts.

Those guys are MUCH more qualified IMHO, than anyone, because it is their job to be qualified.

Unless of course you think the medical staffs are there only to treat sprains and inject steroids and their associated masking agents.

I won't, because I see that as another wasted pick, like the Toby pick. Drafting a player we don't need, and in this case, is coming off a serious knee injury which can greatly impact how he plays the game.
    You think the Toby pick was a waste cause you keep thinking he is a 3rd down back. :P

When AD's agent allows him to talk again, and he says he is holding it against the Vikes for not extending him going into this year and is moving on, you will be loving some Toby when he is the starting RB.

No wait, you will hold it against him cause he isn't AD and won't be hacking on the FO pukes like you should be.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1094294
    Bottom line is simple. The medical staff has all the information it needs to make an informed decision.

If not I would pass.
    Someone who understood what I was trying to say about our medical dept.

As always, thanks Doc. Excellent post.

Back to a DE at 12.

Is Bowers a great athlete, from all I can tell yes. Would he be a great asset? From what I can tell, if he checks out, yes. Could we pick someone of equal value (that could also fill a need) at 12? Yes.

But isn't that what we did last year with Griff? A high risk, high return kindof guy that slid last year who seems to be doing OK on the field (if he isn't in jail), why burn another high pick on this one when we could use that pick on another area of need?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123