Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast
    tclawmen is offline Starter

Re: Cutler Trade Blown by Niches in Coaching Staff

"DubbBvike" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Admiral" wrote:
    [quote author=jargomcfargo link=topic=51183.msg926897#msg926897 date=1238023088]
    What did selling out your future for a chance to win today get the Jets?
    Ehm Farve was in what was already probably the last season of his career, and his skills already declining. Cutler is only just entering his prime, getting him would be the exact opposite of selling out your future.
    Ehm. Anyone can take a sentance out of a post and make it look like something it's not.

Selling out your future is giving up more in draft picks than a player is worth. Eg. Hershell Walker trade.

The assumption is , this team is a QB away from the superbowl.

The fact is , if you give up too much for that QB, you may have a shot at it for one or two years, but then your team starts to suffer due to giving up future picks for one position in a team sport.

So the Jets took a one year gamble to win right now. It didn't work for them.
    Paying to much would be a similar gamble even with a young Cutler.
    The Jets did not give up much to get Favre.
    And that's what they got ....not much.

I agree with Nodak...If we trade away all of our picks, the window that everyone keeps saying is closing in a couple years, will definitely close and stay shut for God knows how long.

Trading away our future is not the answer.

Cutler almost took the Broncos to the Super Bowl LMAO....Kev, you are the master of the overreactions.
    ;D
    I don't get the argument for trading away our future... Cutler is what? in his fourth year? and he made the pro-bowl last year? trading picks to get a Pro Bowl Quarterback in only his FOURTH YEAR in the NFL is not trading away our future... its trading FOR our future. Yeah we are gonna lose a couple picks 2 years in a row... but i highly doubt that the 3 or 4 players (coming from our draft picks we would trade) could impact the team as much as a franchise quarterback will for the next 10 years?
    [/quote]

In reading the posts about trading for Cutler there appears to be two points of contention. On one side, the general consensus is that you win by improving the team thru the draft and you dont want to sell out the future of the team for one player. On the other side, making the move for a young pro bowl Q/B would solidify a needed position now and for years to come and would immediately give the team a chance to go alot further in the playoffs.

In making the decision to trade or not to trade, they need to look at their current roster and decide if this is their window of opportunity. They need to be honest about their evaluation of the team and decide if bringing Cutler in would be the final piece of the puzzle.

IMO, looking at the Vikings current roster, I think we would all agree that the defense is currently in place to make a run at a championship right now!! The effort and execution on special teams need a complete overhaul (other than the kicking game) but I believe that has been addressed. The only remaining aspect is the offense and until this team gets a leader at the KEY position (Q/B) they will not win a super bowl. The vikings have one of if not the best running games in the league but with no threat at the Q/B position their running game becomes alot easier to defend. Bringing in Cutler would make alot of sense if the Vikings believe the other pieces are in place. Generally, I agree that the draft is the best approach to improving a team (when you are rebuilding!!!!!) but when the other pieces are all ready in place for a championship, you need to make the move that puts you in position to take advantage of that "window of oppotunity" because the window is only open for so long and then it closes.

If it was Childress that turned down the deal for Cutler then he should be canned because he sold the rest of the team down the river for his pet project THack. Again I said "IF"

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not buying it

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"marshallvike" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:
    "marshallvike" wrote:
    "VikingMike" wrote:
    Here is the Yahoo story Powers is referring to...a lot of speculation.

[size=13pt]Cutler hurting more than Broncos with behavior[/size]

By Charles Robinson, Yahoo! Sports
    10 hours, 8 minutes ago

But after talking to a variety of personnel sources over the past 10 days, a handful of facts have emerged:

• Before Tampa was involved in a potential three-way trade for Cutler, Minnesota was actually the first team to become engaged in talks for the quarterback. McDaniels acknowledged Tuesday that another team had inquired about Cutler prior to Tampa Bay’s interest, but he declined to name that team. A personnel source confirmed it was the Vikings. According to two league sources, the Vikings would have shipped draft picks to Denver for Cutler, and Denver would have turned around and sent picks to New England for Cassel. However, the deal fell apart early on, after some elements in the Minnesota coaching staff weren’t entirely sold on Cutler.
    Still not specific on the which picks, but come on..."weren’t entirely sold on Cutler"???
    Nowhere in the article does it say, the price was too high, NOWHERE!!!!!! It DOES say this brilliant coaching staff thought Cutler wasn't good enough.
    I like TJ, but this should be enough to get this entire staff banished from football, alla Mike Lynn.
    NO WHERE in the article did it say it was Childress.
    NO WHERE!

People will find anything to blame Childress for.
    It is absolutely ludicrous.
    There is not enough information with this story to balme anyone.
    no offense ej, i respect your opinion on a lot of matters, but are you out of your freakin mind? A posiion coach has more pull in the organization Than Chilldick?
    LOL Marshal.
    No offense taken.
    I never stated a position coach or anyone else.
    What I was really saying is, How legitimate is this story?
    No one named anyone and anyone can write an article that states a "source" or someone close to the team or whatever they want.
    That way they don't have to quote or prove anything to anyone.
    As of now this story is nothing but something to take up lines.
    There is no substance to go by.
    Just mere speculation.
    You see where I'm coming from?

Oh yeah, I am not out of my mind darn it
    ;D
    Maybe a little crazy though.

At this point it doesn't really matter who was the one that didn't pull the trigger.
    What matters is the substance behind the article.
    Like I mentioned previously.
    Until someone comes out publically and states Cutler was being mentioned but we didn't want him then this is nothing more than BS.
    People use the term "source" and "person close to the team" very loosely.
    There is no proof this happened or didn't happen.
    That is why I am saying let's not get all flustered because we are jumping the gun.

If it did happen then yes, I would be pissed off too.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

whatever who cares, we got Sage and Tjack.. that's all we need!!!

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

"jdvike" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Admiral" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    Ehm Farve was in what was already probably the last season of his career, and his skills already declining. Cutler is only just entering his prime, getting him would be the exact opposite of selling out your future.
    Ehm. Anyone can take a sentance out of a post and make it look like something it's not.

Selling out your future is giving up more in draft picks than a player is worth. Eg. Hershell Walker trade.

The fact is , if you give up too much for that QB, you may have a shot at it for one or two years, but then your team starts to suffer due to giving up future picks for one position in a team sport.

I agree with Nodak...If we trade away all of our picks, the window that everyone keeps saying is closing in a couple years, will definitely close and stay shut for God knows how long.

Cutler almost took the Broncos to the Super Bowl LMAO....Kev, you are the master of the overreactions.
    ;D
    They didn't get much?! They went from 4-12 to 9-7! Favre was 11th in passing yards and 9th in TD passes. 5th in completion %. I bet that is better than any QB they have this year unless they get Cutler.

"DubbBvike" wrote:
    "jdvike" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "jargomcfargo" wrote:
    "Admiral" wrote:
    [quote author=jargomcfargo link=topic=51183.msg926897#msg926897 date=1238023088]

;D
    I don't get the argument for trading away our future... Cutler is what? in his fourth year? and he made the pro-bowl last year? trading picks to get a Pro Bowl Quarterback in only his FOURTH YEAR in the NFL is not trading away our future... its trading FOR our future. Yeah we are gonna lose a couple picks 2 years in a row... but i highly doubt that the 3 or 4 players (coming from our draft picks we would trade) could impact the team as much as a franchise quarterback will for the next 10 years?
    [/quote]

THANK YOU!
    +1

"ejmat" wrote:
    At this point it doesn't really matter who was the one that didn't pull the trigger.
    Until someone comes out publically and states Cutler was being mentioned but we didn't want him then this is nothing more than BS.
    That is why I am saying let's not get all flustered because we are jumping the gun.

What matters is if Sage or TJ can get the job done.

"marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

At this point you are correct.
    Right now the Vikes have 3 QBs.
    TJ, Sage and Booty.
    Until that changes (if it changes) we have to hope one of them step up.
    I hope it is TJ.
    I just wish he was able to prove himself more so we wouldn't have to worry about trading anyone for another QB.

"ejmat" wrote:
    "marstc09" wrote:
    "ejmat" wrote:

At this point you are correct.
    Right now the Vikes have 3 QBs.
    TJ, Sage and Booty.
    Until that changes (if it changes) we have to hope one of them step up.
    I hope it is TJ.
    I just wish he was able to prove himself more so we wouldn't have to worry about trading anyone for another QB.
    Sage is a smart dude. I think he will win the battle.

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 ... LastLast