Thread: CUTLER

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: CUTLER

"adamv" wrote:
    "olson_10" wrote:
    "adamv" wrote:
    "There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    - Autobiography of Mark Twain
    sure, but the guy had 40 something TDs with ONLY 4 INTs in an offense that was dependant on the passing game..the guys throws the ball a ton more, on an equally as bad team (maybe worse) and only throws 4 picks..il take him over cutler any day..70% completion percentage draws alot of attention as well..childress took a very similar type of player when he chose mcnabb for philly in the draft..this is the guy i want childress to build into a mcnabb type of player..ive heard a couple of vandy fans on here in the past talk about how cutler struggles against awful teams, and plays only decent against the good ones..from what ive read, my opinion is that this offense would be far better suited with jacobs
    I guess what I'm failing to understand is you've taken repeated digs @ cpep yet he came from nearly an identical situation. High-comp % shotgun offense @ an ave school from an inferior conference (cept pep can/could run). To be honest, I basically had the same outlook for shaun king as you for omar which didn't turn out so well. Even with his relatively high completion percentage, i'm somewhat concerned about his accuracy especially with deep outs although i guess we won't be seeing much of that if this is a true wco. Everyone wants the physical prototype qb and while that helps we need someone who can make quick accurate reads of a d @ nfl speeds and i don't think he's capable of it at least in the near future. Not too mention his clunky mechanics and his release appears a little on the slow side (not cunningham slow but definitly not george quick) I don't the Vikings as being in the market for a project qb at this point, but if we were I'd like to give him a shot. But if I were betting, I'd say the MAC's burned up all their qb luck for the decade and put my money on bust.

And its cpep that had a 70% completion rate in college not jacobs.
    the key to what i am saying is that childress gets the opportunity to groom him just like he did with mcnabb..apparently you missed that or chose not to read it..il apologize for being 2% off with jacobs, he was in fact at 68%..vanderbilt isnt a football school, so the whole conference or school comment can go out the window considering how cutlers stats dont make you jump up and down..when i read cutlers cons, i see alot of things talking about his inability to hit guys on timing routes and things like that, and those arent things that are going to get it done in the WCO..cutler is as much of a project QB as jacobs is..the difference between the way daunte and jacobs would be brought along is the style of play their offense runs..daunte learned the nfl game with 2 all pro receivers, and a vertical passing game that didnt depend on timing routes..jacobs would have the opportunity to learn with average receivers, and an offense based on short, timing routes, exactly the way mcnabb came into philly..we have a guy coaching that lives to groom QBs and an offensive coordinator that just worked with the best QB in history the last couple of years..i have faith in whoever we end up drafting, because our entire staff knows QBs better than anybody, but i would personally prefer to have jacobs, and use our other draft picks to address defensive holes, rather than trading them all away for the #2..cutler isnt falling to 17, and i would HATE having young here if he were to drop
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

adamv is offline Rookie

..apparently you missed that or chose not to read it..il apologize for being 2% off with jacobs, he was in fact at 68%..
    i suggest researching a little more you're still wrong but closer.
    vanderbilt isnt a football school, so the whole conference or school comment can go out the window
    Totally lost me on this one...care to point out where i said or implied vandy's a fb powerhouse and cutler's skills are gonna translate hassle-free. Or you are trying to say the SEC is on par w/ the MAC?
    , i see alot of things talking about his inability to hit guys on timing routes and things like that, and those arent things that are going to get it done in the WCO..cutler is as much of a project QB as jacobs is..
    i've seen a little of that too but when evaluating the situation he was in I think his stats are well above ave. Also disagree with the amount of grooming time here. I believe cutler could be a decent starter after one year as a backup which i don't consider to be a "project". Risk-yes project-no. Cutler and Jacobs both have some work to do but jacobs got more.
    ..daunte learned the nfl game with 2 all pro receivers, and a vertical passing game that didnt depend on timing routes
    Oh, it depended quite a bit on timing. If you can't see that well it's awfully hard to have a discussion.
    we have a guy coaching that lives to groom QBs and an offensive coordinator that just worked with the best QB in history the last couple of years.
    You consider farve too be the best qb in history huh? Well I don't and as a Vikings fan I'm happy with farve's performance the last few years. Its kept us in a lot of games and the division race. I fervently hope he returns this year. If they were such great teachers' wouldn't mcmahon have shown at least a little improvment from his detroit days? farve's #'s have become even more erratic under bevell, and not in a good way so i'm confused by your point.
    and use our other draft picks to address defensive holes, rather than trading them all away for the #2..cutler isnt falling to 17, and i would HATE having young here if he were to drop
    I pretty much totally agree here but I wouldn't mind seeing a trade up around 10 for cutler if he drops that far but i'm thinking the titans or someone else is gonna get him.
    Clutter reducing sig here...
    Many Viking fans wouldn t know a good thing if it mooned the Pack.

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

"adamv" wrote:
    ..apparently you missed that or chose not to read it..il apologize for being 2% off with jacobs, he was in fact at 68%..
    i suggest researching a little more you're still wrong but closer.
    vanderbilt isnt a football school, so the whole conference or school comment can go out the window
    Totally lost me on this one...care to point out where i said or implied vandy's a fb powerhouse and cutler's skills are gonna translate hassle-free. Or you are trying to say the SEC is on par w/ the MAC?
    , i see alot of things talking about his inability to hit guys on timing routes and things like that, and those arent things that are going to get it done in the WCO..cutler is as much of a project QB as jacobs is..
    i've seen a little of that too but when evaluating the situation he was in I think his stats are well above ave. Also disagree with the amount of grooming time here. I believe cutler could be a decent starter after one year as a backup which i don't consider to be a "project". Risk-yes project-no. Cutler and Jacobs both have some work to do but jacobs got more.
    ..daunte learned the nfl game with 2 all pro receivers, and a vertical passing game that didnt depend on timing routes
    Oh, it depended quite a bit on timing. If you can't see that well it's awfully hard to have a discussion.
    we have a guy coaching that lives to groom QBs and an offensive coordinator that just worked with the best QB in history the last couple of years.
    You consider farve too be the best qb in history huh? Well I don't and as a Vikings fan I'm happy with farve's performance the last few years. Its kept us in a lot of games and the division race. I fervently hope he returns this year. If they were such great teachers' wouldn't mcmahon have shown at least a little improvment from his detroit days? farve's #'s have become even more erratic under bevell, and not in a good way so i'm confused by your point.
    and use our other draft picks to address defensive holes, rather than trading them all away for the #2..cutler isnt falling to 17, and i would HATE having young here if he were to drop
    I pretty much totally agree here but I wouldn't mind seeing a trade up around 10 for cutler if he drops that far but i'm thinking the titans or someone else is gonna get him.
    2003 68%, 2004 67% completion percentage..you made comments about jacobs going to an average school, but you failed to mention cutler is also from an average/below average school..you dont consider cutler to be a roject, but any QB coming from a below average school without eye popping stats is a project when you hear the word "potential" mentioned along with his name..bevell worked with brett favre, and wouldve learned alot from him..i hardly think brett needed any teaching in his time there..sure favre has stunk as of late, but i like having a guy that got to learn from the guy who has won a superbowl, and used to be one of the leagues best..it is unfair to expect childress to turn mcmahon into a good player because hes been around the league stinkin it up since day 1..with this draft we have 2 young guys with no professional experience, meaning we can make either of them into what we want them to be..the thing with daunte is that he wasnt great throwing passes to guys on timing routes, and he completed short passes that were dependant on the coverage deep on moss and carter..this year we saw how bad his timing was with his receivers because he couldnt make the reads fast enough like johnson could, while either one of the QBs we draft can focus on learning that right away..if we do indeed move up and select cutler, i will not be disappointed..i completely understand why you want cutler, and im not disagreeing with any of the things you say about him..he certainly is a great prospect, and will probably turn out to be a great player wherever he plays..my personal preference is to have our draft picks to use elsewhere, but like i said before, i trust the organization, and i will be happy with whatever route they choose to go in..i would just prefer to have jacobs, and pick up a stud linebacker like sims or greenway to make our defense even more dominant..if we could somehow move up without losing our 1st rounder, then id be more than happy to take cutler if it means we get a LB as well..il be happy with whoever we select, but id prefer having jacobs, who i feel can be just as good as cutler and eventually as good as mcnabb/leftwich
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234