Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: CUTLER

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Re: CUTLER

"OldManVike" wrote:
    Ok, youse mugs, listen up!
    Dis is what I hoid in da exercise yard. Cutler, due to a great combine, has skyrocketed up to just under Matt Leinhart and Vince Young, passing Omar Jacobs in da process. Latest mock drafts show him to be gone by the 7th pick, y'know? So, we would have to make someone an offer he couldn't refuse ta move up in da draft and get dis mug, y'know?
    ================================================
    Jay Cutler
    QB | (6'3", 226, 4.82) | VANDERBILT

Scouts Grade: 96

Strengths: Possesses adequate overall size, including adequate height and a solid build. Is an above average athlete. Possesses adequate speed and scrambling ability. Gets set quickly and does a good job of making progression reads in his drops. He will move around and buy more time with his feet when necessary. Shows a good pocket presence. Can throw the ball efficiently on the run. He has very good arm strength. Will be able to make all the NFL throws if his timing is good. Shows good touch on the deep ball. Flashes the ability to drop the ball in between the DS and LB. His overall accuracy and timing are improving. He shows more consistency as a pocket passer now than he did earlier in his career. He is intelligent and understands reading coverages. He does a very good job of throwing from outside the pocket. He will make a lot of things happen after the initial play breaks down. He shows good vision and COD skills as a runner. He never gives up on a play. Is competitive and tough. Is a dual threat who can take off and run if nothing is open in the passing game. He is a vocal leader and a hard worker. Has earned his respect.

Weaknesses: He has a lot of room to improve in terms of his overall mechanics and consistency. He has a bit of a windmill delivery. Has a tendency to drop his arm and wind up, especially when throwing on the run. Needs to quicken his release. Will telegraph too many of his throws. Takes too many chances throwing the ball up for grabs. He can be streaky as a passer and will lose the "strike zone" too frequently. He has a tendency to throw off his back foot and force throws under pressure. He needs to become more consistent when throwing timing routes. Will release too late at times on timing routes. Needs to show more consistency when trying to get rid of the ball before the WR gets out of his break.

Overall: Cutler took over as a fulltime starter as a redshirt freshman in 2002. As a junior in 2004, Cutler completed 61-percent of his passing attempts for 1,844 yards with 10 TDs and five INTs. He also rushed for 349 yards and six TDs. As a senior in 2005, Cutler completed 59.1-percent of his attempts for 3,073 yards with 21 TD's and nine INT's. Cutler is an experienced, competitive quarterback that showed a lot of toughness and competitiveness as a three-year starter at Vanderbilt. Despite being overmatched on almost a weekly basis, Cutler found ways to keep his team in games. He has good size and mobility to go along with his outstanding arm strength. However, Cutler is still unpolished and will need lots of mechanical work in order to reach his full potential in the NFL. For much of his career, Cutler was an underrated prospect that did not get the attention that he deserved. However, after a strong senior season and good showings at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine, Cutler has become one of the more over-hyped prospects in the 2006 class. In our opinion, Cutler grades out as a mid-first round prospect in this year's talent pool. At this point, however, it wouldn't be a surprise for Cutler to come off the board within the top-five picks.
    well he already has 2 things culpepper never had..intelligence, and leadership qualities!
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

id much rather have jacobs, whose stats absolutely blow away cutler's
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

adamv is offline Rookie

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies and statistics."
    - Autobiography of Mark Twain
    Clutter reducing sig here...
    Many Viking fans wouldn t know a good thing if it mooned the Pack.

MensaTice is offline Star Spokesman

Has anyone seen the kid play? I haven't so I guess I'll be happy until proved otherwise if we move up and get him. If we don't, I definitely will not complain. I do have to agree that Chavous knows his stuff in judging talent

[color=red]

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

The reason Cutler is hyped is because he finished the season hot and did well at the combine. He played adequate with a bad team, which I guess means he is pretty good. All of Vanderbilt was talking about how we hoped he went in the first round before the Florida game, then his stock just shot through the charts. There are some things that I don't feel that scouting report touched on.

First of all, some of you might not care, but Cutler is an arrogant prick. His personality absolutely sucks. That is the general consensus of pretty much everyone who pays attention to the football team here. Unless he is one of your good friends, he ignores the rest of his teammates in public and isn't really friendly at all. It might be because he hates attention but its pretty annoying. Peyton Manning was ten times more friendly when I saw him at a bar.

Also, when people say the team around him was subpar, they mean horrible. It seemed like he was scrambling every play, our run game was inconsistent, our option worked 1 in 10 times, and our receivers dropped every other 3rd down pass. At the same time I still wonder about some of the bad losses Vanderbilt suffered. Cutler seemed to play down to bad teams. MTSU, Kentucky, and South Carolina were the bad games from last season. Losses like that happen every year here. I don't understand how Cutler played so well against Florida but blew so bad against MTSU.

I honestly do not think Cutler should start straight out of college. He needs a year to learn and develop, and he has to be developed by good coaches. Cutler is not a QB who should be expected to come out and stun the league right away. The best fit for him would be a team that does not expect to make a plyoff run right away, like the Titans, or a team who can afford to bench him until he is ready, like the Vikings. He is the third best QB in a weak QB draft. I only want him because we need a QB to groom for future stardom, and I think he is the only one worth getting.

I'm basing this on watching him play in front of me for four years. Then again, I saw Eli Manning SUCK when he came to Nashville and he is doing pretty god right now.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Hype.. Leaf.. Hype.. Couch... Hype!...Guess who's next on the list..
    How bout you sideburns.. You want somma this milk??

"adamv" wrote:
    sure, but the guy had 40 something TDs with ONLY 4 INTs in an offense that was dependant on the passing game..the guys throws the ball a ton more, on an equally as bad team (maybe worse) and only throws 4 picks..il take him over cutler any day..70% completion percentage draws alot of attention as well..childress took a very similar type of player when he chose mcnabb for philly in the draft..this is the guy i want childress to build into a mcnabb type of player..ive heard a couple of vandy fans on here in the past talk about how cutler struggles against awful teams, and plays only decent against the good ones..from what ive read, my opinion is that this offense would be far better suited with jacobs

KJ
    KJ is offline Pro-Bowler

"olson_10" wrote:
    "adamv" wrote:
    sure, but the guy had 40 something TDs with ONLY 4 INTs in an offense that was dependant on the passing game..the guys throws the ball a ton more, on an equally as bad team (maybe worse) and only throws 4 picks..il take him over cutler any day..70% completion percentage draws alot of attention as well..childress took a very similar type of player when he chose mcnabb for philly in the draft..this is the guy i want childress to build into a mcnabb type of player..ive heard a couple of vandy fans on here in the past talk about how cutler struggles against awful teams, and plays only decent against the good ones..from what ive read, my opinion is that this offense would be far better suited with jacobs
    Now, I'm as big a Jacobs supporter as there is, but you can't just look at the stats. If it was all about stats, then Cliff Kingsbury and BJ Symons from Texas Tech should be Super Bowl quarterbacks, and that isn't the case.

adamv is offline Rookie

"olson_10" wrote:
    "adamv" wrote:
    I guess what I'm failing to understand is you've taken repeated digs @ cpep yet he came from nearly an identical situation. High-comp % shotgun offense @ an ave school from an inferior conference (cept pep can/could run). To be honest, I basically had the same outlook for shaun king as you for omar which didn't turn out so well. Even with his relatively high completion percentage, i'm somewhat concerned about his accuracy especially with deep outs although i guess we won't be seeing much of that if this is a true wco. Everyone wants the physical prototype qb and while that helps we need someone who can make quick accurate reads of a d @ nfl speeds and i don't think he's capable of it at least in the near future. Not too mention his clunky mechanics and his release appears a little on the slow side (not cunningham slow but definitly not george quick) I don't the Vikings as being in the market for a project qb at this point, but if we were I'd like to give him a shot. But if I were betting, I'd say the MAC's burned up all their qb luck for the decade and put my money on bust.

And its cpep that had a 70% completion rate in college not jacobs.
    Clutter reducing sig here...
    Many Viking fans wouldn t know a good thing if it mooned the Pack.

SnoSho is offline Rookie

We are going to get a "Project QB" no matter what unless we trade up for Matt but I'd hate to see the Vikes miss out on filling whatever holes we have left. Cutler & Omar both play for horrid teams from all I can see. They both have things to work on from reading reviews, Cutler threw alot of Pick vs TD (59TDs & 36INT) in 4 years, Jacobs has a negative rushing stat last year -3.0, but rushed for 6 TD in 3 years. Both have knocks on their throwing mechanics Cutler does a Windmill toss and Omar has his shoulder level push. I want the Vikes to take one of the top guys thats will be trainable to be a solid QB in the future.
    Just don't let me hear Brodie Croyle's name anyplace near the Vikings table in April, last thing we need is a QB already on Knee #2.

Well now that I've looked more have to give bonus points to Cutler for being from Santa Cluas IN, at least he wont be one of those guys bitching about snow in MN.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast