Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    magicci is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Cut Fred Smoot, re-sign Brian Williams.

I would love to keep B-Will and move him to SS. If he is fast enough to play Corner then he will be really fast at the SS spot, and he also hits like a safety.

Muggsy is offline Asst. Coach

We ain't gonna cut Smoot, cause his 10 million buck signing bonus last year would count against da salary cap dis year. Unless Bryzenski can do sumpin' to cut down on da salary cap hit, we is stuck wit' Smoot.

Mebbe Smoot just needs anudda shot at it. Let's give it to 'im, I say.
    "From the fury of the Northmen, O Lord, save us!"
    -- From a monestary in Ireland.

canadian_vikes_fan is offline Hall of Famer

I hate to break this to some of you, but Brian Williams is not coming back unless Williams is WAY more of a team player than I've ever seen from him, or if some crazy things happen.

Heres why:

1) We cannot afford to pay B-Will the kind of money he'll command to be the nickel back.

2) We cannot afford to pay B-Will the kind of money he'll command to be a starting corner because we still have to pay Smoot a lot of dough.

3) We cannot realistically cut Smoot because we would take a HUGE cap hit this year (not to mention that it would be a waste because he's not a bad player)

4) We cannot realistically trade Smoot because we'd still take a cap hit, and his value is ridiculously low right now.

Brian Williams is a very inconsistent corner - remember when he started the year and he sucked as the nickel back????

He's a decent player but we can't afford to mortage everything that you guys are suggesting.

Thanks PPE for the sig.

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

"RandyMoss8404" wrote:
    Please.

SMOOT BLEW CURFEW

One of the guys who might not take kindly to the no-nonsense approach of new Vikings coach Brad Childress is cornerback Fred Smoot. Apart from his alleged Love Boat antics, which the family nature of this here site prevents us from detailing, Smoot reportedly missed curfew prior to the team's New Year's Day game against the Bears.

To make matters worse, Smoot reportedly pulled the classic "everyone is stupid but me" move, stuffing pillows into his bed to create the appearance that he was sleeping.

As a result, Smoot dressed but didn't play on Sunday against the Bears.

Moving forward, the Vikes would be wise to cut their losses on the underachieiving cover man who supposedly pushed up all of two reps at the 225 bench during the Combine five years ago (hell, even we could do that). (Update: We've been advised by a league source since originally posting this item that Smoot actually got pinned by the bar and never even managed one rep at 225.) Instead, they should push the money toward cornerback Brian Williams, an underrated, hard-tackling corner who is an unrestricted free agent in March.

---

Please resign BWill. Smoot is awful.
    AMEN
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"canadian_vikes_fan" wrote:
    I hate to break this to some of you, but Brian Williams is not coming back unless Williams is WAY more of a team player than I've ever seen from him, or if some crazy things happen.

Heres why:

1) We cannot afford to pay B-Will the kind of money he'll command to be the nickel back.

2) We cannot afford to pay B-Will the kind of money he'll command to be a starting corner because we still have to pay Smoot a lot of dough.

3) We cannot realistically cut Smoot because we would take a HUGE cap hit this year (not to mention that it would be a waste because he's not a bad player)

4) We cannot realistically trade Smoot because we'd still take a cap hit, and his value is ridiculously low right now.

Brian Williams is a very inconsistent corner - remember when he started the year and he sucked as the nickel back????

He's a decent player but we can't afford to mortage everything that you guys are suggesting.
    Good point Canadian, I think the big thing about B-Will that people are overlooking (because they have very short memories) is Brian Williams flat out sucks sometimes, and sometimes he can be the best player on our defense. He did not play well this preseason and early season, and when Smoot went down for a couple games people were all wondering "what do we do now with matchbook williams?". Personally I think that is too much of a gamble for a starting corner.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

magicci is offline Jersey Retired

That is true. B-Will needs to show he can consistently be good.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I'm not a Smoot hater, but he has provided tons of reasons for there to be Smoot haters, and that is sad.

Smoot owes us Viking fans the best year of his career next year.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Admittedly, the guy had a bad season. He was brought in for big money...and didn't perform.

However....

I recall his name being on a bery short list of DB's that everyone here just HAD to have us sign...and I remember the elation here when he was signed. One year later, people want to cut and run?

C'mon.

I also remember the '04 season when people were cursing Brian Williams up one side and down the other. The guy had a "decent" year, and suddenly he's the Golden Child? C'mon, people, it was a CONTRACT YEAR. Williams played well, but so did Edwards and Brown (if we're all being honest). The entire secondary really stepped up a notch. Take away a handful of bad plays (and one HORRIBLE game for Smoot), and they were positively AWESOME!!!

Rest assured, Smoot knows how well he did this season. And he also knows that he'll likely start out in the dog house and have to PROVE his worth - both to the new Coaching staff, and the Fans. But, he's shown the ability to do so in the past. We've already paid for him, we might as well see this one through (Since we really have no choice).

Also, as for the people "Booing" Smoot as he exited the tunnel versus Cinci....his name is Smoot...drag that out and the "oooooooo" sounds a lot like the "ooooooo" in boo...except it starts with a "Sm" and ends with a "T". They weren't booing him, they were simply calling his name (They did that a LOT early in the season...every time he was in on a play).

Caine

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

im only 150 and i could bench that but anywas. if we cut or trade smoot we would take a huge cap hit. however that might not be a big deal if they don't go on a spending spree and use up all that 25 mil in cap space this year. thing is why dump the guy for a curfew? we don't know what really happened because we wern't there. i heard smoot was doing a childrens thing on new years. plus that 25 mil cap space could easily get streched to 50 mil if wilf wanted to do so; this depends on how serious he is about winning and how much signing money he wants to fork out to not effect the cap. in other words wilf it the complete opposite of mccombs; redneck liked to make contracts that would effect the cap a lot and had incentives that the player woudln't be able to make. like brian russell counted 6mil against the cap and he didn't make that much money.
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

collegeguyjeff is offline Hall of Famer

"Caine" wrote:

Also, as for the people "Booing" Smoot as he exited the tunnel versus Cinci....his name is Smoot...drag that out and the "oooooooo" sounds a lot like the "ooooooo" in boo...except it starts with a "Sm" and ends with a "T". They weren't booing him, they were simply calling his name (They did that a LOT early in the season...every time he was in on a play).

Caine
    yeah just like twins fans say lewwwwwwwwwwww for lew ford i think it's funny
    I don t buy Wisconsin cheese.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast