Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Re: Cut to the chase

You know, Marr, we see almost completely eye to eye, 99% of the time ;D
    Or, maybe you just win me over most of the time with your sound arguments...and believe me, I've been looking for an early round, stud safety for years!
    Joey Browner is still my all time favorite player...just loved all those one hand tackles!!
    (And, studied some martial arts myself.)
    I'd love for us to get a bad mofo in our secondary to strike fear into opposing slot WRs hearts!
    Turns out, I've been seeing more and more mocks with Philips dropping by us...so maybe, we'll get one there, and I will be just as stoked if we do!!

Here's my thing with the WR position:
    The way I see it, there is only one guy on our current list who might have the skills, to eventually be a true No.1 guy, and that is Rice.
    I like Wade, Allison, and Ferguson a lot as a solid core, but believe we still need that No.1 threat to open things up for AP (and our ground game in general) to realize his full potential.
    Rice might be that guy.
    But, it might not be this year, and god forbid an injury, we'd be F'd again.
    Also, as I believe we've agreed, the FA market is really thin and probably pretty over priced...I'm not sure we can find the guy we need there, maybe?
    So, on the flip side, especially if we miss out on the top FA WRs, maybe we do need to look there early.
    True, rookie WRs don't usually live up to the hype their first year, but looking to the future, having two stars in Rice and a (Kelly, Jackson, Bowman-later?, *insert favorite WR name here*) could look REAL GOOD for years to come, and, help TJack look better too.

As for DE, you've got me convinced there...I'm not thinking we're picking a DE early, maybe none.
    DT does look to be a bigger need, given depth leaving, and older vets approaching retirement.
    Along this same theory, we could put RB...Chester Taylor only has 2 years remaining, and Moore is probably gone.
    Sure, it'd be nice if AD could tear it up All Year, but realistically, I'm happier splitting some of those hits/reps to another talented guy, like CT.
    However, a young tough fast FB might be able to thrive in that role too...not first round, but somewhat early/top level talent just might be a fit there...?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    You know, Marr, we see almost completely eye to eye, 99% of the time ;D
    Or, maybe you just win me over most of the time with your sound arguments
    ...and believe me, I've been looking for an early round, stud safety for years!
    Joey Browner is still my all time favorite player...just loved all those one hand tackles!!
    (And, studied some martial arts myself.)
    I'd love for us to get a bad mofo in our secondary to strike fear into opposing slot WRs hearts!
    Turns out, I've been seeing more and more mocks with Philips dropping by us...so maybe, we'll get one there, and I will be just as stoked if we do!!

Here's my thing with the WR position:
    The way I see it, there is only one guy on our current list who might have the skills, to eventually be a true No.1 guy, and that is Rice.
    I like Wade, Allison, and Ferguson a lot as a solid core, but believe we still need that No.1 threat to open things up for AP (and our ground game in general) to realize his full potential.
    Rice might be that guy.
    But, it might not be this year, and god forbid an injury, we'd be F'd again.
    Also, as I believe we've agreed, the FA market is really thin and probably pretty over priced...I'm not sure we can find the guy we need there, maybe?
    So, on the flip side, especially if we miss out on the top FA WRs, maybe we do need to look there early.
    True, rookie WRs don't usually live up to the hype their first year, but looking to the future, having two stars in Rice and a (Kelly, Jackson, Bowman-later?, *insert favorite WR name here*) could look REAL GOOD for years to come, and, help TJack look better too.

As for DE, you've got me convinced there...I'm not thinking we're picking a DE early, maybe none.
    DT does look to be a bigger need, given depth leaving, and older vets approaching retirement.
    Along this same theory, we could put RB...Chester Taylor only has 2 years remaining, and Moore is probably gone.
    Sure, it'd be nice if AD could tear it up All Year, but realistically, I'm happier splitting some of those hits/reps to another talented guy, like CT.
    However, a young tough fast FB might be able to thrive in that role too...not first round, but somewhat early/top level talent just might be a fit there...?
    Thank you for your kind comments my friend.

Very solid post that I just have one comment on.

I am torn this year with respect to what the team will do, specifically at the DE, S and WR area.

If they don't get/go after anyone in the FA market at the DE and WR positions (they have to at S IMHO because of Smith) then we can all buckle it on for the long haul as they will draft more youth at these positions and continue to develop them on the field.

What does that mean?
    Well, the way I see it is we then have to (Typically) wait at least 3 years for that guy to start producing at the NFL level so we will see more of the "Up and Down" play with respect to player execution for at least 1 to 2 more years before we can really be deemed a "Superbowl Contender".

Again, I like thier approach they are taking to building a team (Build through the draft, resign your best FA's and get FA Vets to fix the holes) but I would like to see them fix a few holes this year instead of plugging more youth in those holes who will take time to be effective.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

I know it.
    But, the options are thinning rapidly...KC has all but said they are keeping Allen, and I heard on the Network the other day that BAL will Franchise Suggs.
    Justin Smith is probably the Bengals best defensive player too...doubt he goes any where either.

At WR I think we're still looking at Berrian, Bryant Johnson, and maybe DJ Hacket as being the tops available...and they will get other offers than ours...

And then there is QB, and pretty much nobody worth mentioning there...

I think that at DE we will be OK.
    IF James can get healthy, he and Robison and Edwards would be a hell of a rotation late in the game with 3 guys still fresh!!!?!!?!?!??
    But, something needs to be done about S, WR, and backup/competition QB.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

im glad someone mentioned rufus
    he was real good at okl and was a steal in the 6th
    once he comes back im sure he will make an impact, but we will still need to get a LB on the 2nd day

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Chazz is offline Coordinator

I know it.
    But, the options are thinning rapidly...KC has all but said they are keeping Allen, and I heard on the Network the other day that BAL will Franchise Suggs.
    Justin Smith is probably the Bengals best defensive player too...doubt he goes any where either.
    At WR I think we're still looking at Berrian, Bryant Johnson, and maybe DJ Hacket as being the tops available...an d they will get other offers than ours...

And then there is QB, and pretty much nobody worth mentioning there...

I think that at DE we will be OK.
    IF James can get healthy, he and Robison and Edwards would be a hell of a rotation late in the game with 3 guys still fresh!!!?!!?!?!??
    But, something needs to be done about S, WR, and backup/competition QB.
    Do you really think he wants to stay there? He could come here and be on a top notch defense. With our DTs, I think its an easy sell.

Just seems that Cinci would go out of their way to keep him...Not, that he wouldn't come to MN.
    I think He'll probably get franchised too...?

I'm looking for some FAs on the list...not much quality there...its like looking for the diamond in the haystack!

Billy Volek at QB
    Antwam Odom, Bobby McCray, maybe Marques Doublas (actually, I think this guy plays the otherside) at DE
    Ken Hamlin, Gibril Wilson, Madieu Williams, Sammy Knight at S
    Bryant Johnson, Bernard Berrian at WR

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/freeagents

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"mountainviking" wrote:
    Just seems that Cinci would go out of their way to keep him...Not, that he wouldn't come to MN.
    I think He'll probably get franchised too...?

I'm looking for some FAs on the list...not much quality there...its like looking for the diamond in the haystack!

Billy Volek at QB
    Antwam Odom, Bobby McCray, maybe Marques Doublas (actually, I think this guy plays the otherside) at DE
    Ken Hamlin, Gibril Wilson, Madieu Williams, Sammy Knight at S
    Bryant Johnson, Bernard Berrian at WR

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/freeagents
    There will be a few good ones that just flat want out of the situations they are in that don't get franchised, but all of them at the positions we need are also needed by other teams.

Gonna be a bidding war for them that I am not sure this staff will want to get in based on thier approach the last 2 years.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

Kenny Philips if available.

If not i could see Keith Rivers or Reggie Smith being drafted.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"thepacksux" wrote:

too bad rivers is supposed to be drafter higher than phillips
    lets go after chris long while we are at it lol

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

thepacksux is offline Asst. Coach

"dcboardr41" wrote:
    "thepacksux" wrote:

too bad rivers is supposed to be drafter higher than phillips
    lets go after chris long while we are at it lol
    no need to be an @ss.
    I think he will be there, you dont... fine with me

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast