Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Croyle on the Vikings' Radar

Croyle on the Vikings’ Radar?

Date: Mar 27, 2006

The Vikings need to develop a quarterback of the future, and Alabama’s Brodie Croyle would be among those considered with the team’s second- or third-round pick in the draft. See what Croyle had to say about his college career and get analysis on him from TFY Draft Preview.

Vikings coach Brad Childress continues to forward speculation that the Vikings would be interested in packaging a group of draft picks to move up in the first round of the NFL draft to select a quarterback of the future.

If that is the case, they would be choosing among USC’s Matt Leinart, Vanderbilt’s Jay Cutler or Texas’ Vince Young, depending on how far the team would move up in a trade.

“All three of those guys are going to be top-10 picks, but a lot of people are going to draft a quarterback after that,” said Alabama QB prospect Brodie Croyle.

Short of getting a shot at one of the top three quarterbacks in the draft, the Vikings likely will be spending one of their second-round picks on a player like Croyle, Charlie Whitehurst or Omar Jacobs.

One of those most often associated with Minnesota as a second-round interest is Alabama’s Croyle. While the 6-foot-2, 205-pounder didn’t mention the Vikings among the teams he talked with at the NFL Combine, a source tells Scout.com that Croyle is on the Vikings’ radar.

While his voice resembles that of Brett Favre, his play is more like Brad Johnson’s. He is an efficient caretaker that threw 14 touchdowns and four interceptions in his senior season.

“We knew that not turning the ball over, not giving up points, was the only way we were going to be successful. That went into this season, just not trying to force things. If it’s there, it’s there. If not, hit your checkdown and move on to the next play,” Croyle said at the Combine.

The question with Croyle is his durability as he tore the ACL in each knee during his college career. He also started taking the hits early in high school, starting as an eight-grader while trying to avoid 18-year-olds. He called that experience “painful” and said he learned a lot about toughness, getting up after a sack and going on to the next play.

“I’m just a guy that’s going to make plays for you and a guy that hopefully they put ‘Winner’ next to,” Croyle said. “If you’re a quarterback, that’s what you want. There are tons of guys here that can throw, there are tons of guys here that can run, but it’s just the intangibles that you bring to the table that really separate the good quarterbacks from the great ones.”

One of the most impressive stats from Croyle’s senior season was his completion percentage, which nearly reached 60 percent. He also learned to handle the pressure, both standing in the pocket and playing for an Alabama program with strong fan support.

“You’re going to be in a fishbowl,” he said of his Crimson Tide experience. “You’re either going to be the most liked man in the state or the most hated, one or the other. I’m glad I finished my career liked instead of hated. I’m not big on the limelight or being on center stage. I’ve been on it for five years, but I could care less.”

TFY DRAFT ANALYSIS

Bio: Three-year starter who totaled 59.6%/2,499/14/4 as a senior. Played in three games as a junior before tearing a ligament in his right knee. Moved into the starting lineup as a sophomore and passed for 2,303 yards.

Pos: Solid intermediate passer with a terrific sense of timing. Stands strong in the pocket, buys time for receivers and displays excellent awareness. Displays good speed on short and intermediate passes. Looks off covered receivers, does not make poor decisions and is always in control of the offense.

Neg: Has a long throwing motion that slows his release. Cannot drive passes down field and is rarely on the mark with long throws. Durability is an issue.

Analysis: A quarterback with outstanding intangibles and a player who led Alabama to several game-winning drives last season, Croyle lacks top upside but could be a very effective second quarterback at the next level.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Croyle on the Vikings' Radar

Croyle lacks top upside but could be a very effective second quarterback at the next level.

Doesn't sound like a "quarterback of the future" to me...of course, the "experts" probably said that about Joe Montana as well...so who knows!

Actually, I would be interested as to what Bill Walsh thought about Brodie Croyle. :idea:
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

The Draft analysis isn't quite as positive as I like. I still like what he calls intangibles.

“You’re going to be in a fishbowl,” he said of his Crimson Tide experience. “You’re either going to be the most liked man in the state or the most hated, one or the other. I’m glad I finished my career liked instead of hated. I’m not big on the limelight or being on center stage. I’ve been on it for five years, but I could care less.”

Euphman06 is offline Asst. Coach

inaccurate with the long pass, takes too long to release the ball, two torn acl's... Omar Jacobs!

badbois is offline Pro-Bowler

sounds like a nightmare.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Who knows though, he may be a great QB if given the right O-Line. He has some drabacks, but what QB doesn't? I think he would be a good pickup to mold behind BJ.. It is still up in the air as to what the Vikes do right now. Might not be a bad option for the future..

revprodeji is offline Starter

Just cause someone has had goofy injuries before doesnt mean he will have them again. He looked good after the injury. I like him more than Jacobs at this stage, but it is a sin if we dont get cutler
    www.prodeji.mychoices.biz

Json is offline GM

I'm with getting cutler. I think he'd be a perfect fit. He can be our 3rd stringer for this season and our 2nd stringer next season. Then Brad can retire and cutler has 2 solid learning years to step into the game and start being productive. As for Croyle. No thanks. I'm not a big fan and hopefully either is Childress.

ThaSuperFreak33 is offline Pro-Bowler

Yeah but two major knee injuries is a bit scary. He is gonna get hit even harder in the NFL and bye bye knee.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Please no Croyle.. PLEASE No

Since we need to develop a QB I think it would be smart to move up in the draft.. But we most likley won't..

Vince>Cutler(REALLY close second)>Omar>Whitehurst>McNeal>Croyle

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast