snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

Critique Vikings 2006 Draft & FA

Hind Site Helps!
    It is more like 30/30 rather than 20/20.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2006/draft/teams/vikings.html

Discuss

1) Team Needs from last year.
    2.) How our FA and Drafts filled those needs.
    3.) How the Rookies turned out.

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Rate Vikings 2006 Draft & FA

honestly, last year's draft was one that i wound up pretty damn happy with

1 17(17) Chad Greenway OLB Iowa
    2 16(48) Cedric Griffin CB Texas
    2 19(51) Ryan Cook C New Mexico
    2 32(64) Tarvaris Jackson QB Alabama State
    4 30(127) Ray Edwards DE Purdue
    5 16(149) Greg Blue S Georgia

aside from Chad Greenway, since he was hurt the whole season, i was pleased with the play of all of those pick ups.

Tavaris looked promising during the preseason, and all of the other rookies filled their rolls well when called upon during their first seasons

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

Another site to jog memories of 2005-2006.

http://www.madduxsports.com/2006nfl-draft/2006-minnesota-vikings-draft-preview.html

QB - We entered the offseason with a 38 year old QB that is a bit tattered, but a good leader and field general, so we thought.
    At the point of entering the offseason we still think the DC will be with us.
    So we really have Daunte and Brad going into the offseason.

• [li]We jettison Daunte.
      Now we have the need to find a QB either FA stud (Brees?) or draft pick.
      Long term (one year out) we will need another QB.
      We take Tarvaris Jackson in the 2nd round, we pass on a handful of other higher profile QBs. Childress decided he was going to take on a project in a rookie instead of paying for a used and molded veteran QB. Not very honorable mention, we trade CJ Mosley to the Jets for Bollinger, and also add Mike Mc"back-up"Mahon to the roster, in a lst ditch effort we also are tempted by Drew Henson added to the practice squad.[/li]

[li]Tarvaris got his chance to play after Brad Johnson struggled to throw the ball with accuracy on deep balls and had a ton of drops from the WRs. Tarvaris showed he has some zip on his passes, and can also throw the ball with some touch also.
      Not surprisingly, he also showed us he was a rookie.
      He also found that the line and WRs were problematic.[/li]

OL - Was a question mark it struggled in the 2005-2006 season.
    We played musical Lineman, round and round they go, where they stop no one knows.
    Birk was out injured and will also have contract issues for the upcoming seasons.
    A lot of these guys have been around for a long time favored by Tice.

• [li]We went out and put a ton of money into our line.
      We gave McKinnie a nice sized contract.
      We also went out and got Hutchinson from the SeaDogs in the poison pill incident.
      Chilly resorted to taking on Artis Hicks to help ease into the season with familiarity on Chilly's part.
      We also were thinking long term by drafting a OL guy by the name of Ryan Cook.
      Johnson, Rosenthal and Whittle (a Chilly pick up in FA) rounded out the mix.
      Also got Birk back from his injury season. [/li]

[li]Cook got his chance to play with the right side struggling and injury. He was playing out of position from his college position of center.
      He has potential if we ever get rid of Birk or he retires.
      Cook seemed to get more reps in the rotation as the rotation wore on between Cook and ?Rosenthal?, at RT.[/li]

RB - seemed OK, but the guys we had in 2005-2006 were injured and used sporadically. Bennet was let loose, left us with MeMo and his attitude questioned by Tice and his injuries.

• [li]OK, the bright spot to last season (IMHO), it is non other than Chestor Taylor.
      We pick up a RB that was not well known as a starter, only starting a handful of games for the ravens and mostly sitting behind J.Lewis on their roster.
      Picking up a RB in the FA market let us concern ourselves with other draft needs.
      A lot of memebers wanted Maroney or ?Deangelo Williams? in the draft.
      I think that the fact that Chester Taylor was a veteran with skills and proved his durability went a long ways to making those that wanted to draft a RB change there mind.
      Good Job Vikings Brass for this decision.[/li]

[li]No Rookies Yes![/li]

WR - entered the offseason with K-Rob, M-Rob, Travis Taylor and T-Will. At first glance, it looks good for next season. 1.) KR 2.) TW 3.) TT 4.) MR ....then some practice squad guys. Oh ya, we also started the offseason with Nate B, the minny AC #81.

• [li]Well, we finished the previous few paragraphs with the most desirable part of the offseason, this was probably the most disappointing for fans and coaches.
      The WR situation starts with losing Nate to the Seadogs.
      Staff probably thought that we could survive with KR, TW, TT, and MR so we don't (can't) match the SeaDogs and don't really feel that awful about it. We go through the draft thinking we are OK, so we don't draft any WRs. Then K-Rob gets himself booted off the team with his drunkenness, leaving us without our perceived No 1 WR.[/li]

[li]We didn't draft any WRs, but we did pick up Baskett from the list of undrafted.
      Most thought this might play out favorably.
      We also picked up, after the draft, undrafted rookie, Charles Gordon who was a WR and a DB and a ST guy in college.
      Gordon gets hurt, and we trade Baskett to the Iggles for more Brad Childress familiarity in Billy McMullin??[/li]

FB - ? Do we need one ? Kleiny seems like he could do it if needed.

• [li]Another bright spot was the addition of T-Rich, until he was hurt with the broken arm.
      I wasn't sure how he was going to fit in to the offense but I thought it turned out rather well.[/li]

LB - It was a big question mark.
    Not knowing who fit where.
    We knew that we had some raw talented guys, just didn't know how they fit after watching them flail in Teddy C's D-scheme. The Brains, MLB, being the biggest hole to fill.

• [li]So, we pass on some big FA names, decide to run with what we got and also add Chad Greenway to the mix via the draft instead of Demeco Ryans.
      We also added a little known guy by the name of Ben Leber from the Chargers.[/li]

[li]Needless to say, Greenway gets hurt before the season opener, and is out the whole season.[/li]

DB - Loss of Chavous = spot to fill, Sharper and Winfield seem solid.
    Smoot being a ?? with his lack of character counts lifestyle, not sure if he will make it without getting cut under the no nonsense Brad Childress.

• [li]We pick up Tank Williams a former Titan.
      The addition of our new D Co also brings in a player he has familiarity with, by the name of Whitaker. We add Blue and Griffin in the draft, and pick up undrafted rookie, Charles Gordon.
      Smoot made the offseason without getting cut, needed the vet to play it out and show us he was worth the money. [/li]

[li]Blue and Griffin both got to see time on the field and played well with the veteran support they had out there on the field with them.[/li]

DL - We have K & P Will, Udeze all seasoned vets with skills.
    Udeze being the weakest link of the three.
    We have a new guy that was injured but showed promise in James.
    Looks like 4 guys that could work together.
    We have Mosely for a back up at DT.
    Johnstone getting old, but still was getting sacks for us in 2005-2006.

• [li]Yep, we got rid of Mosely for a backup QB.
      We got Edwards in the draft, proved to be a good acquisition until he got hurt, like our DE rookie from the year before. Edwards showed some promise.[/li]

Overall, I think that the draft and FA went really well.

I think we thought that we had the OL solid with Hutch, we had some experince on the DL.
    Had some rookies to mold in both areas.
    Both lines did well with the run.
    Didn't expect what happened during the season with pass rushing and pass protection from our linemen.

The WR situation was a set back with K-Rob (DUI, brainfart) and T-Will's hands not showing up.

The QB situation with DC running himself out of town, and Brad not being what we were "hoping" for, it hurt us.
    It was important not to throw TJ in there from the start, IMHO.

Rookie DBs played great for rookies.

HornedHat is offline Asst. Coach

Re: Critique Vikings 2006 Draft & FA

I concur with snowinapril, especially pertaining to the WR situation. Looking back, I wish we had drafted a WR, but it appeared that we were OK there going in. I wasn't totally satisfied, and was hoping to add someone, somewhere in the draft, but I CERTAINLY didn't expect to see that WR disaster we had last year. I thought K-Rob would be here, and I thought T-Will would improve, so not drafting a WR wasn't a huge concern for me. Now, it's my biggest concern, because no immediate help appears available, not of the number one reciever variety, anyway. I sometimes feel bad for T-Will, watching his career implode; then I remember: He's already banked more money in his young life than I will likely see in my not so young one. Pooh on him. If he doesn't pick it up (or catch it) this year, his career is likely done, but he'll still be financially set (or should be). Meanwhile, my beloved team is suffering from this 2005 draft mistake. His butt better be out there RIGHT NOW working with a 'Jugs' machine, or rather, his hands better be.

Billy Boy is offline Hall of Famer

"snowinapril" wrote:

The QB situation with DC running himself out of town, and Brad not being what we were "hoping" for, it hurt us.

My thoughts exactly.
    Childress was forced between a rock and a hard place.
    I read several articles in the offseason last year that said both Childress and BJ thought Brad had 3-4 years left as a starter
    Seems like Childress weighed heavily on this when he drafted TJ and neglected securing the position.
    Its fair so say he put all his eggs in one basket and focused on other issues, which is understandable.

All the kids my age pee their pants, it's the coolest.

"Billy" wrote:
    "snowinapril" wrote:

My thoughts exactly.
    Childress was forced between a rock and a hard place.
    I read several articles in the offseason last year that said both Childress and BJ thought Brad had 3-4 years left as a starter
    Seems like Childress weighed heavily on this when he drafted TJ and neglected securing the position.
    Its fair so say he put all his eggs in one basket and focused on other issues, which is understandable.
    You don't know how difficult is was for me to type those sentences that you quoted.

Speaking of QBs, Childress made some sort of comment on the Vikings Update, about possibly not getting a third string QB?
    I heard this from someone that watch the show on FoxNorth so I may not totally have it correct.
    Anyone hear this?

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Critique Vikings 2006 Draft & FA

FB - ? Do we need one ? Kleiny seems like he could do it if needed.

Another bright spot was the addition of T-Rich, until he was hurt with the broken arm.
    I wasn't sure how he was going to fit in to the offense but I thought it turned out rather well.
    we also lost Joey Goodspeed with a season ending injury last year, you missed that ^^

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese