Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Covertly Aggressive?

I'm actually hoping we don't do anything in FA. It's looking preety grim out there and it looks like we will be overpaying.

TheViking88 is offline Rookie

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Clayton thinks patience is key, probably not a bad idea.
    Good Article!

[size=12pt]In free agency, it's better to be a keeper than a shopper[/size]
    by John Clayton

Think back to the late 1980s when free agency started. A system called Plan B was created so that teams wouldn't lose their key players but would instead sacrifice aging starters or a couple of upcoming backups.

It's almost 20 years later. Plan B is long gone and true free agency now exists, with the latest shopping spree to start Friday.

The biggest twist this time -- actually, it has been in effect the past few years -- is the scarcity of options should a team lose a top free agent. That will create a fast market, and it's also going to cause panic.
    good post...very true

"kevoncox" wrote:
    I'm actually hoping we don't do anything in FA. It's looking preety grim out there and it looks like we will be overpaying.
    im not hoping we go out and spend lots of buck for second and third string players either, but i would love to see a few of these FA in purple and gold.
    i.e. berrian and/or bryant johnson
    ;D

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"TheViking88" wrote:
    "kevoncox" wrote:
    im not hoping we go out and spend lots of buck for second and third string players either, but i would love to see a few of these FA in purple and gold.
    i.e. berrian and/or bryant johnson
    ;D
    Can't forget Hackett.
    He is a WCO/KAO WR.

Back to the main point, I just don't see our name floating around and that is a bit disturbing considering we have some money to spend. The other thing is, maybe the org doesn't see this being the year to spend considering the may not believe that we have the leadership at QB this year to take it to the SB.

KrackerJack is offline Hall of Famer

"kevoncox" wrote:
    Everyone we're gonna get this year will be overpayed, all of the expected play makers, meaning the first, and maybe 2nd round, obvisouly it won't cost as much as a FA, but we have loads of cap room, it needs to be put to use, some receivers that could help the team, and are worth sigining are Berrian or Porter (there are others, but those are my current favorites) Justin Smith at DE, Madeu Williams at safety(i know i goofed up that first name LOL), and those aren't all, they're just some of the ones at the top of the list, even if we sign one of those guys, it will benefit the team, and we'll still be able to get impact from our rookies...and still have some cap room (if we were to only sign one guy) i think we need to use the money we have, even if we sign some guys who aren't young enough to really be apart of a brighter future, signing vets would still help us be a good team while the youngsters are still developing, and the vets could help the process, bottom line: we need to make atleast 1 signing in FA this year (a start caliber player)

"snowinapril" wrote:
    Back to the main point, I just don't see our name floating around and that is a bit disturbing considering we have some money to spend. The other thing is, maybe the org doesn't see this being the year to spend considering the may not believe that we have the leadership at QB this year to take it to the SB.
    i know there not gonna go out there and sign all these huge names, they've never done that, but i do think we will sign a decent FA WR, just as long as its not Walker. Id rather see stallworth here. TJack i think just needed a year under his belt. i think that this year will be his breakout season, im not saying hes gonna put up tom brady numbers, but i def. think we will see a big improvement.
    (dont bring that back to haunt me though at the end of the season if i was wrong)

Vikes_King is offline Jersey Retired

"better to be a keeper than a shopper", i like that.

Like someone else said, its hard to be that aggressive when the free agency period hasn't
    even started yet.
    And again, its not like theres a ton of people out there that we should go for anyway.. its more important to start negotiations with a select few, than every fresh player out there

http://vikesking.blogspot.com/

"We’ll win our own Super Bowl, with our own players. Real Vikings. Something Brett Favre can never be."

- Dan Calabrese

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Not really much to trade for

I wish Vilma and move EJ back to outside.. But it's not worth it at all and unnessisary

Cuts

[size=12pt]As free agency nears, McFarland, Morris, Givens among cuts[/size]
    News Wire.....

The Colts defensive tackle Anthony "Booger" McFarland and middle linebacker Rob Morris.

Titans cut Givens.......

Thomas among Bills cuts.......

Vikings' QB Holcomb out.......

Browns release Roye.......

Bucs going younger releasing veterans Kevin Carter and Greg Spires......

Saints boot Mare......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast